what music do y'all like?

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
They also made it look like the Abbotts didn't know what Taoism is!

Prior to the show airing, I had quite a discussion with a young woman who is a public school teacher, about home schooling. She is totally against it (special interest perhaps?) because 'kids need to be with other kids'. She also thought Carl must be controlling. It's funny to me that people are so afraid of indoctrination when the supposed indoctrination is not the same as the way they were indoctrinated! Don't public schools indoctrinate children? Don't peers agree on a very specific code of behavior? Would we rather have children aspiring to be like the Dalai Lama or Britney Spears?

Comments

• edited December 1969
    My brain hurts from too much deep thinking on here-not used to it. So nice to have a place to relax and just chat on general topics, like: what do y'all like to listen to?
    me: Bluegrass, of course, though i'll admit my education in that area is pretty limited: Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs, and the Oh Brother soundtrack (which i didnt like especially but appreciate that it brought this music to millions of new fans). I could listen to the mandolin and fiddle all day long. Old Timey country-I was raised on Loretta Lynn, Marty Robbins, J Cash, Willie Nelson but even farther back than that I regularly play the Carter Family, Hank Sr...the blues-Bessie Smith, Jazz: Louis Armstrong, Sarah Vaughn...not so much a fan of Billie Holiday, or 'modern' jazz...
    60's rock: I'm a deadhead, 'nuff said. and Dylan, naturally. Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe, Leonard Cohen (a buddhist, btw), Bob Marley, soul & funk...
    I have as eclectic tastes as you'll ever encounter-my presets on the car radio range from classical to heavy metal (ACDC!)
    -music is like anything in my life-whatever works for me at the time, I use. Take what you need and leave the rest.
    Anything you think i'd enjoy hearing, please tell.
  • edited December 1969
    That's quite a list of music you tune in to. For me, I enjoy most listening to silence, next comes the sounds of daily life around me. The only time I enjoy listening to music is when I dance.

Our family plays old time mountain music (bluegrass style) together most every evening. Singing and playing as a family offers a deeply connecting experience. I encourage you to try it. Be patient though, it's a lifetime path, so let it happen gently. If you're interested visit http://www.playingbyear.com . Our family is working to help other families play music together the old easy pre 20th century way.

Oh, the kids do listen to recorded old time music. That's how they learn! And then they teach / advise me.
  • edited December 1969
    Mostly bluegrass. Here's a partial list:

Blue Sky Boys
    Bob Paisley
    Del McCoury
    Doc Watson
    Flatt & Scruggs (early years)
    Hank Williams
    James King
    Johnson Mountain Boys
    Nashville Bluegrass Band (nostalgic reasons there too)
    Red Allen
    Vern Williams
    and anything Stanley

plus lots of other people here and there, including some local bands (Bean Creek) and more obscure old-time groups (Burnett & Rutherford, Tom Ashley, Watson Family). I let Kyle handle the Japanese stuff.
  • edited December 1969
    i like all kinds of music for various artist.

Rock, alternative, newage, ambiant, goth metal, classical, ska, jazz, smooth jazz, techno, dance of all kinds.

I'll listen to anything but country, rap or R&B. Bluegrass is cool, but haven't heard much on the readio stations over here.
  • edited December 1969
    Good answer carl. Put me in my place. I treasure silence, too, and my favorite sound is my kid's vopice. No music can top that.
    Thanx for the bluegrass list Luke-I've heard of about half of them, will look up the rest-i had a chance to see Doc Watson in '86 (not sure if his son was still alive then or not) in a great intimate (75 seats) little country theater in davis, cali, but passed it up-could kick myself.
  • edited December 1969
    Got to wondering if this and my book thread was appropriately 'thought provoking' enuf for this site...then realized that not everyone is comfortable with deep questions of faith & belief, and to ease them in with more user friendly questions about personal likes and dislikes might help them get used to being here. I'm one of those folks, actually. Music and books open new worlds, help comfort us, and explain that which confuses us. Some gain this thru medidtaion, some thru drugs, I find I need a kick start from words, in order to get away from words...
    That being said, i'm getting June Carter Cash's last album today: 'Wildwood Flower'...and I hear Fox has been promoting this hot young band called 'The Abbott Family'...LOL-well, maybe soon...
  • edited December 1969
    I have two doc watson cd's to listen to: 'Remembering Merle' & 'down south'-have you heard them? Any good?
    I'll also play these at work sunday & monday-those are our 'country' days-try to expose the kids to different music-they often havent ever heard anything thats more than 2 years old and top 40...

btw, have y'all ever heard 'Old & in the Way', a jerry garcia project from the early 70's? Or his work with David Grisman? Excellent-Garcia started on the banjo, of course...
  • edited December 1969
    have y'all ever, or ever considered, playing any modern songs ina bluegrass style? With my vast knowledge of music :roll: , i think this sounds like a fun experiment-heard REM's 'Man on the Moon' t'other day, and imagined it as bluegrass...lots of songs come to mind: bruce springsteen and such...might turn more folks onto the style, and would sound good besides-everything sounds good when it's covered in blue grass...
  • edited December 1969
    I love music which tells a story without words. I also love a lone voice joined by one or two and then later by a chorus. I love it most when it gives me a sense of community and family.

If it does any of these it could be any type of music.

I haven't heard too many songs sung which has the power of an old mans or an old womans voice enraptured by the message or story.
  • edited December 1969
    Down South by Doc Watson is my very favorite CD. When my mother died, I brought a copy of that on tape back east with me and listened to it over and over. At times, it was the only thing that kept me from walking in front of a train! The humanness of his voice, the realness and honesty of it, truly beautiful. Years later I learned that it's Doc's favorite too. 'What a Friend we Have in Jesus' still breaks my heart.
  • edited December 1969
    I have two doc watson cd's to listen to: 'Remembering Merle' & 'down south'-have you heard them?

*awe (not sarcastic)* you have Remembering Merle? I've heard samples of Doc's Omie Wise (wonderful) on the CD but never bought the CD (I figure a whole CD for just one song that I like? I dunno 'cause Blue Suade Shoes isn't on my Top Ten if you know what I mean) but I'm learning Omie Wise from Ashley (which is like Doc's version [the clawhammer, not the fingerpicking version])recording but I need to slow it down (since Ashley blazes it on the ol' five string)

I have Down South and really enjoy the CD. I mainly got it for the Bright Sunny South song which a friend of mine generously let me borrow. His Fifteen Cents song is one of my favorites on the CD.

Home Again, Ballads from Deep Gap and Southbound are some of my favorite Watson ablums. I actually like all of what Doc Watson does (I don't care much for his Rockabilly stuff but then again, he appeals to all audiences. Heck, give him a Tuba and he could draw crowds!)

I like some kinds of semi-modern music. A bit of Mississippi (I googled that word to see if I spelled it right [I missed an 'i']) John Hurt (or Hert) and Hank Williams.

The other music I enjoy is old time. Clarence Ashley, Doc Watson, Roscoe Holcomb, Dock Boggs, Buell Kazee, Kilby Snow, Wade Ward and B.F Shelton. I got a DVD-video recording of Kilby, Watson, Roscoe and Kazee. I've never seen them in motion (just photo stills) so that was really neat to see 'em come to life! :D (the DVD is called Traditional Music Classics [label: Yazoo] is anybody is interested)

I pretty much like a lot of all traditional music. My second favorite (old-time is first) is traditional Japanese ensemble music with the singing and the works (Naga-Uta, Minyo and a little bit of Tsugaru [a bit too modern and wild for me]). I have heard and enjoy some traditional Greek music. I like Bluegrass but it doesn't have the soul of the rich soulfullness of traditional music. That doesn't mean I don't like it of course.

Some people like aged wines, I like aged music. :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    is do you know Beyonce?

:roll:
  • edited December 1969
    is do you know Beyonce?

Well, I know who she is now.
  • edited December 1969
    So, I played the Watson Cd's all weekend, and i agree-he's terrific, and man, could Merle pick! What a loss! I also prefer his traditional stuff to the 'Blue suede' stuff, but glad he branches out and gives everything a try-wonder if he's still making records and touring? he's like 81 now, but seems old musicians never stop till they drop...

and yeah, you can't beat ol' Hank..

and as deep into popular culture as I've always been, I couldn't pick Beyonce out of a crowd or name any of her music...more & more, I'm clueless as to most popular music, sports, movies...I'll be losing my edge in Trivial Pursuit if i'm not careful...
  • edited December 1969
    Heard a Hawaiin version of 'Somewhere over the rainbow / What a wonderful world' on the radio, and found out it's by a ukelele player named Israle Kamakawaol'ole-might be misspelling his name but hey can you blame me? Anyway, this cut is off the "Finding Forrester' soundtrack (suck movie, and the rest of the ST is modern jazz, not my thing mostly)
    -'Iz', as he was known, died in '97, but has several good albums of beautiful stuff out there-hearing these songs done in his island style raises them from cheesy to transcendent.
    and he was 700 pounds! That uke must've looked like a matchbox car in his hands...
    Anyway, check him out...
  • edited December 1969
    he branches out and gives everything a try-wonder if he's still making records and touring?

I heard (from his Legacy album [music/interview with Doc]) that he followed the money ('cause that's how he made it). He was big in the folk revival and when it started to fade and when rock or something started to get big, he took up that music. I may be a bit off on my facts since I haven't listened to the interview in a while.

He recently made a record (Sittin' Here Pickin' the Blues). I think he is still touring but not as much and he doesn't bring as many instruments as he used to. I heard that when Merle and Doc started touring, after their first gig or two, they agreed that touring wore them out and went back home. I'm not quite sure but it is something like that. I'll have to consult the interview :wink: .
  • edited December 1969
    I love how old bluesmen and folk singers and such just keep going...they dont 'burn out' like rock stars and such-shows who the true musicians are...who's really in it for the love of the music....seems if you really love the art you do, you could no more give it up than you could breathing...
  • edited December 1969
    Today from the library I have 'Classic Bluegrass from Smithsonian Folkways' (25 songs-whole bunch of good folks: Johnson Mountain Boys, Earl Taylor & Stoney Mountain Boys, Stanley Bros...-and a terrific booklet along with it)

also 2 cd's of Flatt & Scruggs: The Mercury Sessions 1948-1950
  • edited December 1969
    I recently got Buell Kazee Sings and Plays and Traditional Japanese Folk Songs from Smithsonian Folkways
  • edited December 1969
    i'm looking for Buell Kazee-our library has nothing-is he well known or local? older or newer?
  • edited December 1969
    what kind of music I listen to depends a lot on what I'm doing. It can be anything from country to classical to jazz to rock and the music type can change from moment to moment. I can be listening to Mozart one second and then Linkin Park the next.
  • edited December 1969
    unclebob's a man after my own heart music wise-why limit yourself-one thing leads to another, and theres good stuff in every genre.

personally I'm listening to this fine young band from Santa Cruz, whose cd's i just got...The Abbott Family Band is their name-the musicanship is unassailable, even if the jokes are a bit corny...wonderful quality and a professional production... So far, I prefer the Live at GOF...
    I was listening to Flatt & Scruggs just before the Abbotts, and I enjoyed one just as much as the other-love those traditional songs-people have had the same problem,same concerns forever...

-and no, I'm not on their payroll...
    get their stuff now, folks, before they go nationwide and get too big...
  • edited December 1969
    I love bluegrass ever since hearing it played live when I was in college some 15 years ago.

For Christmas I got Steve Earle and Del McCoury 's "The Mountain" - I love love LOVE it!
  • edited December 1969
    Still listening to all the bluegrass I can find-Dolly Parton 's two recent albums-she has such a nice voice. sincere.
    Also looking for the two Iron Horse albums with bluegrass versions of Metallica and Ozzy Osbourne tunes. Both got good reviews.
    Also heard Jimmie Rodgers for the first time. Excellent, much of what i've given credit to Hank Sr for actually belongs to Rodgers.
    And I just read where Allison Krauss has won 17 Grammies! Guess I should give her a listen...
  • edited December 1969
    I'm very eclectic in my music. I grew up on pop/bubblegum music...Donny Osmond, David Cassidy, The Partridge Family, The Jackson Five (when Michael was normal)

I loved to watch Sonny and Cher as a teen, but I recently saw a Cher concert and wasn't all that impressed. The HBO concert special was better than our expensive seats.

I'm not embarrassed to admit that one of the best concerts I recently went to was none other than Barry Manilow! I know...groan! You either love the guy or hate him. Guess which category I'm in! Anyway, he does give you your money's worth at the concert.

Another fantastic concert I went to in December was the Transiberia
    Orchestra. The special effects were out of this world! If you haven't seen them, they are a must!

I love classical music too. Driving to that takes away road rage. I recently found the Celtic Enya a few years ago. And I love Manheim Steamroller too.

And yes, I like Country/Blue Grass too. I've even been to the Grand Old Opery!

Another secret I'll let you in on, is I like to watch Lawrence Welk and I'm not even Polish!

And I love gospel and old time hymns and the old Musicals.

About the only muscic I don't like is Acid Rock, although I love Pink Floyd's "Stairway to Heaven", so go figure.

One of my favorite memories as a kid, was my family driving and singing in the car.

Whistle while you work,

Michi
  • edited December 1969
    Hate to correct anyone (but since you admit to not liking it, it's ok not to know all the facts about it), but thats Led Zeppelin that does 'Stairway to Heaven'-Led Zep being just about the only band that can get away with alot of mythological imagery in their music-Marc Bolan & t rex might be another. Pink Floyd is always worth listening to, though, as well.

Just hearing John Hartford for the first time-singer, songwriter, banjo player, riverboat captain-died back in '01-why do I never discover these people till after they're dead? Sings songs of riverboats & old timey traditional type music with a very friendly voice.

I was crazy for Sonny Bono, btw, one of my heroes...
  • edited December 1969
    I stand corrected...all five feet of me. I figured out my mistake and was getting on to edit, but you beat me to it Buddy.

I think Cher's tears for Sonny were sincere.

Michi
  • edited December 1969
    I had no doubt you'd catch your mistake. If I ever make one, unlikely though that is, I'm sure you'll be there to catch it...
    I also believe her tears were sincere, but see, I don't want sincerity after I'm dead, I want it now.
    Sincerity now! Reminds me of Seinfield: 'Serenity Now!'
  • edited December 1969
    Wow, we like the same kind of music...that's something!
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Buddy1:[/cite] thats Led Zeppelin that does 'Stairway to Heaven'

I thought the Stanley Brothers did "Stairway To Heaven" :wink:

Have you dreamed of a stairway to heaven
    A home just beyond the blue
    A stairway of gold To God's heavenly fold
    A stairway that's waiting for you

There's a stairway ( golden stairway )
    Stairway to heaven
    That leads to a home bright and fair
    Step by step I'll climb
    Till his hand touches mine