Luke's future as an adult

It's time for the sons to get their own rooms. It's nice to have a room of one's own.

The younger son looks sad.

The older son looks like he is ready to see the world. Baby chick needs to fly and leave the nest. Or else he will always feel like a baby and be too afraid to be an adult.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Mr. Abbott now knows that despite his loss in his life (the death of his brother) and I doubt this event is the only one that has played in his stronghold on his son's lives, I hope he has realized that their is no philosophy he can use as an excuse for being so domineering.

Message to Luke: Now you can do anything you want. Go to college (maybe UC Santa Cruz), go socialize on your own, and find a girlfriend
    (It is natural to be interested in the opposite sex), and as you form your own way in life, help your brother find his individual self.

I'm sure you already know this, but some reinforcement doesn't hurt :D
  • edited December 1969
    Look dude,

FOX edited their footage to make Carl look as bad as possible. It is a lie. Don't pretend to know Luke. He, his brother, his mother and father are fantastic people, and not pawns in some FOX (your) melodrama. Think: Didn't Luke seem really, really confident and secure? Hmmmm... How do you think he developed that? Maybe, just maybe, his parents actually are doing a good job and FOX has done what it does best - a snow job?
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Musicdominator:[/cite] go socialize on your own, and find a girlfriend
    (It is natural to be interested in the opposite sex),

You didn't see anything about the Lowe kid having a girlfriend did you? but you probably just assume he does. Why do you assume Luke doesn't? You don't know him. Besides it's none of your business.

That whole scene with the shoe store girl would have been uncomfortable for any 18 year old guy and it looked like it was very uncomfortable for the girl as well.

As if Luke would don a polyester leasure suit: "hey baby, what's your sign?" :lol: GET REAL!!
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Ron Cotnam:[/cite]That whole scene with the shoe store girl would have been uncomfortable for any 18 year old guy and it looked like it was very uncomfortable for the girl as well.

Amen!
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Burn Factor:[/cite]
    [cite] Ron Cotnam:[/cite]That whole scene with the shoe store girl would have been uncomfortable for any 18 year old guy and it looked like it was very uncomfortable for the girl as well.

Amen!

By the way, remember the guy who was standing next to her behind the counter in the show store? That was her boyfriend.
  • edited December 1969
    Go to college (maybe UC Santa Cruz), go socialize on your own, and find a girlfriend (It is natural to be interested in the opposite sex)

Luke is straight?? Luke could be gay, straight or bisexual.
  • edited December 1969
    college is over rated-it's to help those with money kill a few years until a spot opens in daddy's factory office, or a husnad is found...

I never went, many of my coworkers did, and they're mostly idiots. meanwhile, many people think i'm pretty bright, (which makes me blush)

I'm around teenagers everyday-few are as funny or bright as Kyle & Luke, fewer still have their range of interests & skills. If Kyle doesnt look like he's having fun, hey, he's a teen, it's a teens job to look discontent-easier still when a major network is doing the editing...the boys will get out of the house plenty when they're ready...

maybe we need a new show: "An Abbott Road Trip"-whichever network sponsers it will save on housing expenses since they only need one hotel room...
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Buddy1:[/cite]college is over rated-it's to help those with money kill a few years until a spot opens in daddy's factory office, or a husnad is found...

I disagree. I am a freshman in college studying to be a journalist, and I love it. My father owns an oil company, but I have no interest in having a spot in "daddy's office" although I do have a summer job there to help pay my way through college.
  • edited December 1969
    That should read 'husband' -maybe I should've gone to college and learned how to type...
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Buddy1:[/cite]That should read 'husband' -maybe I should've gone to college and learned how to type...

You don't need to go to college to be smart. My father didn't go to college, and I look up to him. And he's obviously smart because his company is doing so great, he's expanding.

But to say that college is for those with money and/or for those who just want to 'burn a few years' before getting a cushy job working for Daddy is just plain ignorant and wrong.
  • edited December 1969
    ...unless you want a football or basketball career, and even then they're recruiting out of high school now.

I'm ignorant and wrong so often because I didnt go to college :D
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Buddy1:[/cite]I'm ignorant and wrong so often because I didnt go to college :D

surprise surprise :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    Luke's a hoot, and Kyle's funny too, just more introverted...they should both date shoe store owners-at least then they wouldn't be depleting the stock...
    wish i'd never started dating-it was all downhill from there...
  • edited December 1969
    Luke, my question is where you and your brother were home-schooled, or if you attended school in Santa Cruz.
  • edited December 1969
    The question should read "......whether or not you and your brother were home-schooled, or attended school in Santa Cruz...."
  • edited December 1969

Hey Luke, I did Taekwon-Do with you a long time ago, but I remember you, and your blue cut-off sweatpants. :wink: Anyways, I saw the show on Fox, only because it was a family from Santa Cruz, and because I remember you guys, and was I surprised at how TV portrays Santa Cruz in general. To tell you the truth, I'd be happy if they just left us all alone. Well, it made me feel good that there are other people that think shoes are ridiculous, though I have succumed to the pressures of society and I do wear them on occasion, especially while in Wisconsin in the winter :shock: And about the brainwashing thing, we are all brainwashed to an extent by our families and society, but having to go to public schools my whole life, I've come to realize that it's there where most of the brainwashing occurs. The government starts at an early age, making us into what they want us to become in the future; definitely not free thinkers. Sounding paranoid? I bet!! The life that you live, is one that I feel is rich with knowledge and connections to things that are truly important, and I envy and honor that. Keep up the free-spirit, and I promise I will too!!

Ciao Ciao
  • edited December 2004
    [cite] Burn Factor:[/cite]
    [cite] Buddy1:[/cite]I'm ignorant and wrong so often because I didnt go to college :D

surprise surprise :wink:

I promised myself I'd stay away from the internet for awhile. Oh well... I must say, it is a real pleasure :) to read everyone's back and forth, especially by those who can 'think outside the box' - yes, you. Most of you wouldn't be here otherwise.

But, I must get serious now ... darn!... and challenge our culture's new form of circumcision,... leaving home and going off to college. 'Circumcision' being society's rite of passage that turns a youth into someone truly worthy. Note: You may have no problem with the male version of this silly act, but don't forget the female version practiced in Sudan. Well, America has dropped many of its traditional rites of passage which may make the College one all the more neurotic.

College's main function is to train children to do the skills needed for a modern society: engineers, doctors, lawyers and so on. Great! Alas, it also serves to 'brain wash' young's minds into the culture's paradigm.

You know, society functions more smoothly when everyone marches to the beat of the same drummer: clothes, shoes, books, music, religion, slang, politics, food. Just consider how mindless millions of people parrot whatever is 'cool' at any current time. Of course, each of us regards our own 'coolness' as somehow 'independent' and 'free thinking', or whatever.

Now, I'm not complaining mind you, just calling 'em as I sees 'em. Any notions of actual independence of mind are profoundly fanciful. The ideal that college opens people's mind and gets them to think is part of the myth.

Fortunately people are more resilient and the 'brain wash' wears off some as we age. I notice a lot of those people here on our site. By the way, it took me 40 years to get over the 'brain washed' belief that I was independent and in control of life. Isn't it a tad ironic that I would now be portrayed as a 'control freak'. :lol: :? :cry: :wink: I guess that combination 'emoticons' irony.

I know my words are heresy to some and disturb others. Our innate instinct to conform is over-powering. When there is money to be made by twisting a family's reality to support our culture's belief in the virtues of '"getting away from your family", unscrupulous people will do it. Such spinning of truth into fiction works especially well when it supports the 'brain washed' culture's paradigm. Boy, belief can be a dangerous thing, eh? Now, I've got to pull myself away from this thing and drink a chocolate soda that the boys are making.

PS... yum yum, that was good. Now I want to reiterate and emphasize the fact that I don't care if folks go to college or not. I just hope my doctor did. The point is, such cultural 'brain washing' is an age old fact of life reaching back through history and around the world. The 'brain washed', as someone commented earlier I recall, don't know they're brain washed. The only folks who are 'brain washed', in their eyes, are those around them who don't share their particular form of 'brain washing'. So, I go look in the mirror and oh, oh, I got to go wash my brain of it's 'brain washing'. That's what keeps the 'brain washing' on low spin cycle... keep washing it away, moment to moment ... :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    I agree with most ... but not all ... of what you say here Carl.

I am without a doubt more independent since leaving home.

I WANTED to leave home and experience a new lifestyle and city. I was feeling "claustrophobic" at home. Coming to college has been a breath of fresh air.

I live on my own save for a roomie who keeps me up at all times of the night because I can't sleep with his TV going.

I do everything on my own and can't rely on my parents. The teachers are also great and teach me fascinating things. The only gripe I have is homework! :roll:

The fact of the matter is thus: You cannot get a high-paying, responsible (as in, with big duties) job without going to college. Now is this 100%? No. But if you want to get a job that you enjoy that pays a lot and whatnot, you have to go to college.

No newspaper. .. I repeat, no newspaper, will hire a fresh out of high school guy to cover sports. You have to go to college and learn journalism.
    College's main function is to train children to do the skills needed for a modern society: engineers, doctors, lawyers and so on. Great! Alas, it also serves to 'brain wash' young's minds into the culture's paradigm.

You know, society functions more smoothly when everyone marches to the beat of the same drummer: clothes, shoes, books, music, religion, slang, politics, food.

But see, there's still a lot of diversity. There are so many majors and so many different jobs and so many choices to make that I don't think it's fair to say college makes everyone the same, so to speak.

I love college. It has given me a break from home, which I need. I can't just leave home and get an apartment right away because I don't have the money for it. I'd have to find a job ... and somehow scrape the money up to get one. But now I don't!

I can work in the summer to build up a nest egg for myself while learning what I need to learn, and when it's over, landing a pretty high-paying job (although journalists do not exactly make much) doing what I enjoy.

You say that college opening peoples' mind is a myth ... but I can tell you ... it's not. At least not for me.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Luke Abbott:[/cite]

By the way, remember the guy who was standing next to her behind the counter in the show store? That was her boyfriend.

How funny!!!!
  • edited December 1969
    I actually applied to and attended, to different levels, 5 different colleges before i called it a day, formal education wise-took a lot of classes, but had no use for the required cirriculum-do i wish i'd gone? nah, thats just 'what if' games, and I dont play those-it's just mental masturbation...
    I'm glad college works for Burn and I wish him the best-but I have a job that pays more than 90% of the other jobs in Oregon, which I enjoy, and which i originally got by being involved in community theater, thru a connection i made there-so my advice, is take classes, never stop getting educated, but also get involved in lots of outside activities-volunteer, try diffrent things, never know whta'll come down the pike...
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Carl:[/cite]The ideal that college opens people's mind and gets them to think is part of the myth.
    I was much struck by this comment, because I absolutely agree. It took me until my second year of grad school to realize this. The farther you go in higher education, the more you are expected to conform to the "right" way of thinking, no matter what your particular subject is.

But it helps to have a degree under your belt when you're job hunting. :)
  • edited December 1969
    Depends what job you're looking for-many jobs now require a degeree when none is really necessary-my profession, for instance (juvenile corrections)-what we get staff wise now are a bunch of educated idiots who panic when the kids dont act the way the text book says they're supposed to. No people skills. We old timers off the street have common sense and a sense of self preservation, and we last and make an impact, and the kids appreciate our efforts a whole lot more-'right profession' 'right effort' are necessary for contentment in this world.
  • edited December 1969
    There's a post appropriate to this discussion on the 'college' thread