Slandering One's Religious Faith Is over the Edge

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
haha...

I actually saw the Rita Rudner show at NYNY. It was ok but it was mostly aimed at females.

Comments

• edited April 2005
    There has been a some serious misrepresentations made of our Taoist church and faith, by literally putting words in the my (the minister) mouth through cutting, switching and pasting factual bits and pieces to construct what amounts to the complete opposite of what the facts were to begin with.

Fabricating a gossip like fictional story out of a families reality is just part of the social setting. We all experience that, if not to our face, then behind our backs. However, to purposely and maliciously misrepresent a family's church and religion runs counter to what this country was founded on.

Consider, by way of example, a portrayal of a Christian family. Let's just say that at one point, the Christian father said, "Thank you Jesus for helping our family live by love and not by the hateful ways of the Satan." Then a a person with ulterior motives takes those words and rearranges them to have the father say: "Thank you // Satan // for the // hateful ways // you // live by."

What some people will do to get ahead, eh?

Note: Our church, the Center for Taoist Thought and Fellowship has been an established (i.e., a 501C3) religious organization for over 20 years.
  • edited December 1969
    The more I read here and the more I reflect on the episode (which I viewed only once), the more saddened I become about the situation. Trading Spouses and Wifeswap have the ability to be such a wonderful inspiration to families across America - but instead they (or at least Trading Spouses) choose to take the path of trickery and deception in order to get the viewer riled up and stressed out. I was upset from the very first scene (in which your family appeared to have no idea what your religion was), as I knew this was deceitful editing. I did believe that other parts of the show were more accurate, and I had a heavy heart when I went to bed that night, thinking about how miserable your wife was - I am glad to learn that this was yet another case of tricky editing, but it frustrates me that we can be so easily manipulated by these "reality shows." I will watch the conclusion of your show, and I don't think I will continue to watch either show, as it's obviously nearly as contrived as any scripted drama.

Sorry to ramble. I've been wading through the hateful and negative posts on an AOL message board about the show, and I'm just disgusted with the networks for their portrayal of your family, AND with these ignorant, close-minded people who feel the need to bash any lifestyle that doesn't mirror their own.

Hmph.

Susan
  • edited December 1969
    I guess you guys got a dose of reality tv right there....
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Rowan:[/cite] Trading Spouses and Wifeswap have the ability to be such a wonderful inspiration to families across America - but instead they (or at least Trading Spouses) choose to take the path of trickery and deception in order to get the viewer

This is one major reason we agreed to go on this show. We didn't seek them out, they e-mail us and asked us if we'd consider being on. I'm disappointed that they missed a unique opportunity. Never-the-less, someone will come along someday and perhaps do it ethically? For us however, we regret nothing. This has been even more fascinating than we imagined, especially given this post TV reality. Finally, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your voice of support Susan... you and all those who have joined this 'war'. A good friend e-mailed me this: "it's what makes life interesting. my motto--life's like making stew. you gotta stir it constantly to get the scum to come to the top." :lol:
  • edited December 1969
    I watch news & 'reality' shows for entertainment, not truth. The 'truth' I get from sitcoms and cartoons...just as theres often more 'truth' in fictional writing than nonfiction...

But in the end, I do hope y'all see more good than bad from this experience, it DID expose your religion and healthy lifestyle to a few million folks who otherwise would've been clueless, and if this changes one life for the better, make one person rethink their life and priorities, it was worth it...
  • edited December 1969
    I thought it was you had to stir it or else the scum will rise to the top. That's a Rick-ism, no?
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Carl:[/cite] A good friend e-mailed me this: "it's what makes life interesting. my motto--life's like making stew. you gotta stir it constantly to get the scum to come to the top." :lol:

Hi Lynn,

Oh yes, this is Rick's motto. Note the " " marks. And I love it, especially this particular month. :!:
  • edited December 1969
    Carl and family,

I must say that your family really moved me. I find you all very interesting, and even started researching the Taoist organization. Your wife, Leslie, is a beautiful woman. I'm sorry to read posts from so many 'closed minded' people here. Why do some people bother to register and post, just to ridicule? Their lives must be boring and empty.

Last week is the first episode of 'Trading Spouses" I've seen. Reality TV normally doesn't interest me, but after seeing the previews many times, I just had to watch. I'm glad I did.

BTW, you're not from Bisbee are you?
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Buddy1:[/cite]I watch news & 'reality' shows for entertainment, not truth. The 'truth' I get from sitcoms and cartoons...just as theres often more 'truth' in fictional writing than nonfiction...

- I guess the actual reality is that Fox creates Much Ado About Nothing, which is why I would never, in my lifetime, sign anything written by that company.
  • edited December 1969
    Carl,
    Although the networks do indeed edit to meet their own requirements I did not find anything negative about your families practice of Taoism.
    You?re an intelligent, caring, talented, and loving man is what I took away from the show.
    The way you have chosen to live your life and raise your children is not what most of us know as the norm. That does not however make anything bad/wrong, just different.
    I love the idea of a family being so close. I get how much your family means to you.
    Since we have not met or spent time together I have no real idea what your reasoning is in the way you do things and however you do things is indeed your business.
    I would simply like to offer the following.
    You mentioned the loss of your brother while you were trotting the globe and it seemed to sadden you a great deal. You also made mention about how that you did things the way you did because of your experiences of people in the world. I would like to suggest that the world today is not how your experienced it so many years ago. And the experience of your children will not necessarily be the same. I was reminded of a song by Pink Floyd, off of their Wall album, of a song called mother. The song is in no way a perfect example but just may provide you a bit of feedback.
    May you and your family know much joy.
    I bid you peace and love.
  • edited December 1969
    As parents we do the best we can. Mistakes are made along the not from intent but we try to do the best we can. Hopefully we experience and learn. The truths you feel you have discovered should give confidence that your children will learn and function successfully. Give them a chance to spread and experience life.
  • edited December 1969
    Hey there Jayhawk!

We do get chances to experience life. I mean this SHOW is an experience! It's not like we're chained to a cinderblock and not allowed to do anything.
  • edited December 1969
    Unfortunately, too many are too attached.

no matter how deviously edited something is, if we have attachments, they are going to come through.

Likewise, those watching are very attached in various ways, and therefore spew ignorance and meanness with ease and little thought.

I personally enjoy all kinds of media...but I know better than to believe that what I see on tv is the be-all-end-all of a situation, or the people involved.

Now, if you want some messed up tv, try "Cheaters"
    I am surprised no one has sought vengence after seeing an episode or two of that gem.

Just as an aside, I used to work with the son-in-law of Bruce Nash, reality tv mogul, and show ideas were just so amazingly stupid...I don't know why they are successful (he did the "who wants to marry my mom" etc.)

namaste
    norbu
  • edited December 1969
    Yeah, what about the one to come this January, i believe, Who's Your Daddy?, where this girl doesn't know who her father is and wants to find out, so they basically play it out into this big reality show so she can find out. I think the catch is that she has to guess which is her dad, out of probably 10 men.
  • edited December 1969
    I saw the show last night and could instantly see the grand distortion of your family portrayed therein. Is this a correct sentence? I guess it doesn't really matter. When tricky, deceptive, editing hide the truth, that truth always finds a way to shine to those who can truly see. Your beaming faces are a true testament to this reality. No editing can hide radiating peace.
    When a society whose goals lead to unhappiness and dissapointment portray an interpretation of a familial interaction and what that interaction should be like, we who see this reality as a farse will be inevitably dissapointed.
    A driving force behind something, will inevitably push that something into what it deems that object should be or go or look like or anything.
    When "speading your wings" means flying down from the lofty paradise of the canopy, into the vicious world of the forest floor with its hazards and pain, surely rip my wings from my being.
    When embracing materialism and society are "right" , then surely do i desire to be wrong.
  • edited December 1969
    I don't watch television much - unless I find myself being truly lazy - Trading Spouses was one of the shows on one of the four channels my telelvision happens to pick up on such an occasion. All I can say is I really felt sorry for your family, because you were played out to be the domineering/strange ones.

But... on an optimistic note...

As a 27 year old girl who's never had any experience with religion, I have to say at the very least that the show sparked a curiosity in me that I've been holding onto for some time.... and so maybe, just maybe, that's the good purpose it served - at least for me. I've always said if there is one religion I identify most with, it is Taoism - but that's been strictly from what I've read about it. I'm glad to know that there are people like your family in the world, and I hope to learn more about the Taoist faith, since you're the first real example of that I've seen - and I live in the bay area, so that seems silly. I guess I am pretty lazy, huh? :oops: I've just found it difficult to seek out a religious endeavor - it's always seemed so intimidating. Your family, however, definitely lessened that fear. I look forward to learning more.
  • edited December 1969
    Persefoni wrote: "As a 27 year old girl [...] and I live in the bay area..."

Say, I think Vickie has a "son" that she'd like to introduce you to. Do you like younger men? (Kidding, kidding...)
  • edited December 1969
    in America, ANY religion besides basic christianity is going to get distorted and misunderstood-if you were muslims, you'd have been run out of town after the show...
    sickens me how intolerant some people are-you should see the looks i get from coworkers when i mention i'm a buddhist-some arent even sure it's legal for me to work there-LOL-but i dont stress my beliefs, have worked there 15 years and few know much about me-whereas the good Christians feel the need to walk around with bible in hand to keep their faith secure-i just tell them to make it a heavy bible, in case they're attacked...
  • edited December 1969
    what religion were you growing up, before taoism came into your life?
  • edited December 1969
    Hi Carl,

I have to be reminded off the man waking home from church one freezing night when he found a fozen snake on the path. Wanting to always do good, he picked up the frozen snake and put it in his coat pocket. Arriving home, he hung his coat by the fireplace.Later, he remembered the frozen snake and reached into his pocket to take it out. The snake bit him and as he lay dying on the floor the snake came along side him.He said, "Snake, why did you bite me and cause me to die when all I wanted to do was help you?" The snake said, "Hay, you knew I was a snake when you picked me up!"

Good luck to you and your wonderful, loving family.

Ed
  • edited December 1969
    and thats exactly why i dont go to church.
  • edited December 1969
    Hi, Carl....I'm new to your forum, very nice place.

I almost came to blows at another board after the TS show about the Jewish family and the Born AGain Christian's....sigh. I am of the Jewish faith and I cannot tell you the HORRIBLE antisemetic posts that show begot because of their "edit" job. I found myself in the position of defending my entire religion because the Jewish Mother was presented as a b*tch. Heck....for all I know she might have been one, but I have to think that alot of it was editing. Either way, it matters not.....what is sad is the intolerance so many people have to religions that differ from their own. I was fortunate as a child not to fall victim to the hate that I am seeing today and I fear for my 9 year old child. She is so proud of her religion and wants to tell anyone that she meets, lol.

The thing is.....we have enough problems with discrimination in this world that when it comes to religion, race etc......the way these shows are exploiting it is reprehensible! The moderator at the "other" board was kind enough to delete the posts when I notified him, but I have to tell you....I was SO ANGRY that had he not I was going to contact the defamation league. I can relate to your anger, Carl......or as the kid's say today....I "feel" ya, lol!!

Take good care, smooooooch......Chava