TS: The family bedroom and sex

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
I guess you guys got a dose of reality tv right there....

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Okay, I give up :roll: This is for all those folks out there afraid of, in love with, and obsessed by sex. I believe our American obsession, love and fear of sex comes from the profound loneliness so many folks experience.

MY WIFE AND I DO NOT HAVE SEX IN FRONT OF (NOR EVEN IN EAR SHOT OF) OUR KIDS :!: . We as a family share so much NON SEXUAL INTIMACY that we feel much less need to 'get our rocks off'. The drive to copulate increases as one's sense of purpose, connection or life meaning decreases and/or fails to meet expectations. It's well documented how ambitious hard driving people often 'pant' after the opposite sex. Their 'success' just doesn't bring them the deep fulfillment and peace for which they are yearning. :(

Of course, sexual intercourse does not result in inner peace and harmony either, but rather only transitory pleasure and relaxation. This is not any different from all the other desires which we are driven to satiate: food, success, travel,... and now the internet... example abound. Look within instead of stabbing and flailing away at scapegoats (that would be us this week).
  • edited December 1969
    I can't believe that they would assume that you do (or that my husband and I) have sex in front of our kids!

I hope your message puts those comments from some people dead in their tracks.
  • edited December 1969
    'MY WIFE AND I DO NOT HAVE SEX IN FRONT OF (NOR EVEN IN EAR SHOT OF) OUR KIDS'

Yeah right. Keep telling yourself that, idiot. What a freak!

P.S. - I'm an ignorant, knuckle-draggin', mouth-breathin' nincompoop.

[Yes, I'm probably overstepping my administrative privledges with that edit, but I couldn't resist! -Luke]
  • edited December 1969
    Visiting from the Fox boards, I take it?

This is off topic for this thread, but I wanted to share with you all that the folks at the AOL message board for the show have "simmered down" quite a bit since reading the Abbotts' website and getting their perspective on the show. In fact, a few of the women who were most vocal in their criticism of the Abbotts are now talking about starting letter-writing campaigns to Fox to complain about their betrayal of the viewing audience by presenting Trading Spouses as "reality tv." I'm glad to see that SOMETIMES people can admit when they're wrong, and even sometimes try to do something positive as a result.

Some people, on the other hand, are too far gone to even try to enlighten :roll:
  • edited December 1969
    What, no sex?! Well, then there's no reason for me to watch part 2 of TS tonight, I guess...dang, I had such hopes, too...well, back to 'Desperate Housewives'...
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] some idiot guest:[/cite]Yeah right. Keep telling yourself that, idiot. What a freak!

Listen here you piece of moldy Gorgonzola cheese! If there's anybody here who would benifet from that piece of so called "advice," it would be you, you Bashi Bazouk you! Your projecting your troubles on to other people I see, you filibustering megalomaniactic vivisectionist!

What a Ectoplasmic byproduct of a lubbery iconoclast! You aren't broke but your badly bent you pockmarked fuzzy wuzzy.

(Wow. I know more words than I thought I did! ;) I don't think I've ever exercised my vocabulary this much in a long time)
  • edited December 1969
    Wow, great vocabulary, lol
    You tell em guys!
  • edited December 1969
    ditto! thats the extent of MY vocabulary...
  • edited December 1969
    The thesaurus is my best friend when I write articles so that's how I can use suave words. :)
  • edited December 1969
    lol :D
  • edited December 1969
    if it wasnt for books, i wouldnt have any friends...sniff.

except for the thesaurus, that bastard!
  • edited December 1969
    To the Abbott Family;

With all due respect, please understand there are many folks out there who have questions about your practices. Granted there are a few trolls who will try to make trouble, please don't be discouraged by those people. There are many of us who do not understand many of your practices, and have genuine questions about such things. In our society sex is a very large part of "pop culture" and creates wonder amongst the masses. Whether or not you feel the same is almost beside the point. You knew when you did this show that you would likely get all sorts of reaction, both good and bad. It's a shame there are intolerant people in this world, but fact of the matter there is.

Please try to be patient with those of us who are just learning, and have curiosity questions. I'm sure there are many of us who were just a little shocked to hear about the family bed, etc because that is not the way we live. I appreciate your practices and have learned so much in the time I've been coming here. (This is my first time posting.) But I hope you can somewhat understand the outside point of view, with these questions. As prying as they maybe, they help people to understand you better.

Best Wishes,
    Yvie :D
  • edited December 1969
    people need to 'understand' themselves before they stick their nose in other people's business-far as i'm concerned, all the Abbotts are obligated to share with the nation is what was on the 2 episodes...

unless i get curious, then they'd better answer my dang questions...

that did say 'damn' but I changed it to 'dang'-see, y'all are good influences on me...
  • edited December 1969
    You are gosh darn right! :D

By the way. Once again, I say that we all have our own bed, it's just in one room.
  • edited December 1969
    people think i'm weird also because I dont make my bed-just going to sleep in it again, and anyway who the hel...er, heck's going to see it besides me?

But I couldnt sleep with someone who snores-have to have copmplete silence and complete darkness-not easy since i sleep during the day, but i've adjusted over the years...
  • edited December 1969
    The problem for me is when I sleep (which I do) is I uncounsiously stir and kick off some of the covers and down-comforters 'cause I guess I get warm at night. Later in the night/morning I get cold but I'm too tired to open my eyes and pull the comforters back. Another thing, I keep getting the sheets twisted up in my sleep. So, in short, I kinda have to make my bed every day so I can comfortably sleep in it.
  • edited December 1969
    Yeah, it's funny how we can be so tired and lazy that we'll lay there and shiver rather than get up and fix the blankets. I keep my room cold, with lots of blankets on top of me. I toss & turn constantly, very light sleeper-only time I deep sleep is when I power nap for an hour or two...
    and the dreams, man do I have the weirdest dreams-lots going on in my subconcious...wake me up constantly...
    When my kid sleeps with me, he always seems to punch me right in the eye-hmm, wonder if he's really sleeping...?
    and I've given up on inflating my air mattress everyday (it leaks). I just slept on the floor last night, and it felt fine-I've slept in many a worse place...
  • edited December 1969
    Kyle,

Maybe the reason you thrash about in your sleep is because your body in not comfortable. Have you tried sleeping in a hammock? I slept in a hammock for months when I travelled through Mexico and Guatemala. They're very comfortable if you get the good ones from Yucatan. Hey, I just remembered I think I still have about a half doze stashed in a box. :D
  • edited December 1969
    You have a 'stash of hammocks'? That's hilarious, and that you forgot about them is even funnier...

the rocking motion of hammocks takes us back to the womb-beds and other hard sleeping surfaces really are unnatural....
  • edited December 1969
    Maybe we need to go back to the way of chimpanzees and build a new "nest" out of foliage every night . . .
  • edited December 1969
    No, I'm comfortable when I sleep (though I don't see the point in having sheets) so I don't have a problem there. I do like sleeping on a hard surface (not rock hard 'cause I have a futon+foam) rather than an extra plush quicksand-like bed. I think I'm a semi-roller. Luke's a big roller.

We used to have a stretchy mexican hammock but we broke the strings 'cause Luke and I would swing each other in it. Once Luke swung it 180 degrees (I was in the hammock) and I flew out of the hammock. One game that we did is we would each get in the hammock and twist it in a way (kinda the same way a candy in a wrapper is twisted) that we would both have half of the hammock and there would a twist that seperates the two areas in half. The goal is that you would have to spin around to make the other guys area (or real estate as we called it) smaller. When the guy is out of real estate, they have to get out. It's kinda hard to explain but it's a big reason the hammock broke.
    When my kid sleeps with me,
    Your kid sleeps with you?!? How horrid! What a brainwasher! :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    live in Canada for awhile and you will learn the benefit of sheets
  • edited December 1969
    Ron, good point about tossing and turning due to discomfort.
    People are comfortable so many different ways .... I cannot sleep with a pillow, or I get all stiff and yucky.
  • edited December 1969
    DHardley:

And sleeping with snowsuits on. lol.
  • edited December 1969
    yeah, my kid started sleeping with me after he saw your trading spouses episodes-LOL

I like (and need due to a bad back) a harder surface for sleeping, but once in a while a soft one is really nice for a break-growing up, when we'd go to my grandma's she had a feather bed I slept-holy cow, you'd get in that thing & sink about 2 foot, then pile about 17 blankets on top...talk about security...

I like sheets, they're nice & cool, plus they're easy to wash-do you realize how much dead skin one loses over night? I think we completely replace our entire skin every month-and I only wash my comforters and such about once a year, but the sheets go in every few days...but my kid doesnt like sheets either-he wraps up in a couple blankets and calls it good-yet still somehow manages to confiscate all the rest of the covers at some point thru the night, so I end up with a kleenex size area of blanket to cover me...