I got to pet a dog today

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
Hi Leslie! Although I knew that there would be editing (just from watching Judge Judy promos and seeing manipulation), I never knew they would go that far! And I only expected them to be in the promos! You must have signed something saying that you had no right to be represented accurately. (I bet you signed a lot of things!) Anyway, I think you are being too hard on yourself. You didn't come across badly, I didn't think. Perhaps I'm prejudiced because I know you, but you came across as a strong, confident woman.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Hadnt realized how long it'd been since i'd been around an animal. A friend brought her little chinese something or other by, name of Sun Lee-looks like a Dr Seuss creation: big eyes, weird frizzy tail. I love dogs, and though she said this one doesnt like men, it jumped right up on my lap...made me feel good, so just wanted to share it.

How many animals did you hug today?
  • edited December 1969
    How sweet!
    We always had dogs growing up.
    My oldest son has been asking for a pet rabbit for a few years.
  • edited December 1969
    You'll be sorry you asked. I have 3 dogs (2 labs and a border collie), 3 cats, 1 parrot, 1 goldfish, 2 llamas and 2 goats. I never hug the last 6, for more or less obvious reasons. But without doggie hugs, I would be a complete nut case. In fact, I aspire to be more like my oldest lab, Alex. He is so simple and in the moment.
  • edited December 1969
    I've tried hugging one of our ducks but they're a bit skiddish. They wouldn't really appreciate it anyway though I feel it's quality time with the duck if I hold her for a little bit. By the way Buddy1, my duck is named Buddy. How 'bout that?

Years ago, We had a pet Venus Fly Trap.

Lynn, I'll bet your husband has never hugged your parrot. :wink: (a bit of an inside story if you, the reader, is/are confused)
  • edited December 1969
    On a job once, a coworker & I found some baby ducks-he took them home to his kids, who proceeded to drown them trying to teach them to swim underwater...moral of the story: leave nature in nature...at least until they invent duck size scuba gear...
  • edited December 1969
    Teaching ducks to swim underwater? like teaching newborn baby birds to fly from a building.

When we got our baby ducks (and they were old enough to take baths) and gave them a bath, they would dive underwater for a long time (without any help from us!) and it was very fun to watch.
  • edited December 1969
    Actually, ducks need a special oil on their feathers to help trap air, otherwise they won't float, and even worse, the water can saturate their feathers and chill them to death. Adult ducks secrete this from a gland near their tail. Mother ducks spread this oil on their ducklings, which is why they can float from day one. But when you get your own ducklings, you have to remember that they don't have the benefit of a mother who can fix up their feathers . . .

Oh, and by the way, while newborn birds can't fly, studies where young birds' wings are restrained until they're adults have shown that when they're old enough, birds can fly without having had any prior practice. It's all instinctual.

A bit of nature trivia there.
  • edited December 1969
    No, my husband has never hugged the parrot. He does sneak up and pull his tail! He claims the bird hates him, but sometimes the bird lowers his head to Rick which means he wants to be preened, but Rick is too scared. I think birds are a lot more intelligent than we give them credit for. We watched a chicken trying to cross Jamestown Road and, I'm not making this up, she looked both ways! I've never seen a squirrel do that...they seem to turn around and run under the wheels!

You know, I've always loved ducks. When I lived on Long Island I would go to the duck ponds with loaves of bread to feed them because there wasn't much to eat in the winter.
  • edited December 1969
    but do you know why it crossed the road? The eternal question...
    and thanx for the nature trivia-thats a weak area for me in Trivial Pursuit...[/i]
  • edited December 1969
    but do you know why it crossed the road? The eternal question.

that question is more puzzling than the 'which came first?' quandry. I believe to find out why it was crossing the road, you need to first know the chicken's habits, diet, emotional and suiciadal tendencies, body weight, etc. The chicken should also be put to a stress test, risk and psyc test. Was it a chicken or a turkey? Did the person who witnessed the incident have a good reputation for telling the truth? Did he/she have good eyesight? How could he/she tell it was a chicken?

Of course the question may just be like a 'why do we walk barefoot' question. We say it's comfortable and there's nothing more to it, the chicken says he/she just wanted to get to the other side and that's that. It's a puzzle but maybe we're putting too much thought in it. Sometimes, to understand something, you have to look at the quandry in a very simple and open way.
  • edited December 1969
    ...Fox just edited it to make it LOOK like it did...

among my legendary sayings at work (with hard headed juvenile deliquent special need kids) was one time when, in my frustration at the kids not listening, I said 'Gentlemen, do you know why the chicken crossed the road? BECAUSE I F***ING TOLD IT TO!!!!!"
    got lots of laughs and is talked about to this day...
  • edited December 1969
    Well, maybe the chicken was ordered to. Perhaps he was on Animal Planets version of Fear Factor (Deer Dread) and he was the only one who could cross the road.
  • edited December 1969
    Does this system automatically ***out cuss words?
    I'm afraid i'm more often profane than profound...
  • edited December 1969
    No, there is an automatic censoring subsystem built into this board, but I keep it disabled. Figured there wouldn't be much need on a Taoism board. Some nasty words have cropped up this week, however, and when I run across them I **** them out, if for no other reason than it may detract from some ratings on some web indexes . . . besides, it seems most people have pretty active imaginations to figure it out . . .
  • edited December 1969
    Oh ****. ah! I feel older now! :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    lol
  • edited December 1969
    Well, pardon my *&$#@%^&* all to **+#!!!
    Heehee, i feel like a cartoon character when i do that...

and what are 'ratings on web indexes'?

what do taoists say when they hit their thumb with a hammer?
  • edited December 1969
    I'm not sure what ratings on web indexes are. Luke would know.

Well, I've never hit my thumb with a hammer but I've cut my leg with a saw when trying to saw wood (fortunately it wasn't a power saw) using my foot to hold the wood down. I used the wrong saw. I often prick myself on a hook when I'm fishing in the morning 'cause my hands are numb and a bit clumsy ('cause they're numb)

When I do hurt myself, I don't yell out or anything. I just give a little grunt. Kind of a silent "mmmph" sound.

When I make a mistake (mainly when I break a string or saw something off the line), I do utter an "oh [email protected]".
  • edited December 1969
    I dropped a ping pong table on my feet last summer (why they need a 2 hundred pound table for a game that involves a one ounce ball, i do not know)-it fell apart, scraped several layers of skin off my leg and smashed down on my feet-and i didnt cuss at all-in fact, i couldnt even breathe-i just sorta went into shock...amazing i came away with just 2 small scars-I was at my nudist club at the time, so, as it slid down my front, there could've easily been MUCH more serious injuries to be had! :shock:
  • edited December 1969
    . . . I'll let my imagination figure out the rest. In fact, my subconcious imagination.

How did a pingpong table fall apart? Gosh darn it!, those things are built to last! Same with croquet sticks.
  • edited December 1969
    The table was in two parts-dont know why-and it was folded up-i thought securely-i thought wrong-one side came off & started sliding and i dropped the other part in a panic (I always panic first in crisis situations and get it outa the way) and both came down on my feet-I did a quick visual check to make sure all parts were still attached (parts of me, not the table) then went into shock...
    -I was sure my feet were broken-My kid and a friend he was with immediatly went into hysterical laughter over it, until they saw the pale look on my face...I ended up getting wrapped up in bandages all over my feet and legs-looked pretty cool-and never sreamed until i got in the car and shut the windows
    -the club was afraid i'd sue them, but i'm a nice guy-should've asked for lifetime membership, though...

amazingly, i've never had a broken bone or anything needing hospital attention in my life-except for stitches on my chin from a skateboard accident at 16-story for another time...
  • edited December 1969
    If it is was a fold up one, how can it be two hundred pounds? hmmmmm....but interesting story. Did they let you keep the pingpong table?
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Tao Nut:[/cite]I've tried hugging one of our ducks but they're a bit skiddish. They wouldn't really appreciate it anyway though I feel it's quality time with the duck if I hold her for a little bit. By the way Buddy1, my duck is named Buddy. How 'bout that?

Years ago, We had a pet Venus Fly Trap.

Lynn, I'll bet your husband has never hugged your parrot. :wink: (a bit of an inside story if you, the reader, is/are confused)

I tried two times to have a venus fly trap, and each time my poor plant slowly turned black and died. Guess that is what I get for buying them at walmart. Venus fly traps are wonderful little plants for children to observe, btw.
  • edited December 1969
    Mine died too from Wal-mart. Maybe it's a Wal-mart thing. Yet, I never saw it catch a fly. :(
  • edited December 1969
    you tell me how and why a table that big was a fold up one, but it was-on rollers-at least at first-and what was especially irritating was 2 different members came up to me that day and said 'yeah, something similar happened to me with that table. we been meaning to get rid of it' which they finally did after my incident (get rid of the evidence).

btw, went to the zoo t'other day, and what y'all said about ducks oiling their feathers & such, penguins do the same thing...
  • edited December 1969
    We used to have a pingpong table and we got it at Outdoor World and it was a fold-up kind.

As for the Venus Fly Trap, I don't think ours caught too many flys but we cooked a steak and cut it into little pieces (when I say little, I mean less than a 1/4 inch thick) and froze it. Every day we would feed it a piece of the steak and it stayed alive.
  • edited December 1969
    Well, if you spoil your plants by feeding it steak, why should it work to catch flies?
    Man, if I move with you, will you feed me steak? I dont eat much more than a venus fly trap does...
  • edited December 1969
    I have 4 dogs. 2 chihuahuas, a shih tzu and a pomeranian. and they all think they have to sleep with me at night. the shih tzu thinks he is king of the roost and trys to keep the other 3 in line
  • edited December 1969
    A web freind back in Pa had her dog die this week-took it in for a checkup and found cancer-very sad, as she's one of the nicest people I've ever met in my entire life, and especially on the net, where the jerks seem to outnumber the nice 5 to 1. and her dog was named Buddy! But her kids are helping her thru it (funny how kids handle crises better than adults much of the time), and they've put a nice gallery tribute up on their family website...
  • edited December 1969
    reading Kyles Blog from March 7-hope the duck that died wasn't Buddy!?