Anyone on here read Prometheus Rising, by R A Wilson?

Hello all.

I'm about two-thirds of the way through Prometheus Rising, by Robert Anton Wilson, and so far, it's...

Hmm. I stopped writing. I'm not sure what words to use to describe how I feel about it. The ideas in there about sociobiology seem very important, and I feel the need to discuss some of them. It seemed like the kind of book that Carl or the followers of Carl (Abbottists? Abbottites? What about "Abbostles"?) might well have read at some point. Anyone?

If you haven't, you probably should. It's helped me bang a few more nails in the coffin of my belief in free will, so anyone else that's grappling with this issue, I heartily recommend it. Wilson describes all the stages of programming/imprinting in humans, and the whole book seems to be geared towards breaking the reader out of any narrow-minded partial worldview.

Comments

• I've never heard of "Prometheus Rising", but then don't read much other than Science News and whatever I must for practical reasons. If, as you say, "the whole book seems to be geared towards breaking the reader out of any narrow-minded partial worldview", then I'd say it's just other 'by-path'/story. Our "narrow minded partial worldview" arises out of deep emotional / instinctive areas of the brain. No writing or speaking will ever "break a reader out".

It is my view that the eye of the beholder is the crucial element in what one sees. The world is self evident, and most obvious if one isn't blind-sided by one's desire and worry (i.e., one's story). That is why Buddha and other 'old ones' (Lao Tzu's) saw 'it' so clearly without the aid of any sociobiology or other science. The way I see it, science only supports what has long been known. More data isn't what is needed--better interpretation is. And the quality of interpretation depends on the mind of the interpreter, which is influence by one's needs/desires and fears/worries. The Achilles heal lies within.

Of course, that's not to say it wouldn't be an enjoyable read if it says what you want to hear. Oh my, what a bah hum bug I be! :mrgreen: (I dont' know what this icon stands for, but it seems to fit 'bah hum bug-ness'.)
  • It makes me smile to see you suggest "it's just another by-path", as he's saying the exact same things you are, about viewing people from the point of view of the human animal, etc. Of course, it could just be that I'm seeing what I want to see, both there and here. I always try to keep that in mind now whenever I feel enthusiastic about something. Happily, that doesn't really detract from my enjoyment of it. If anything, it makes it easier to enjoy ideas "safely", not attaching any strong belief to them. My previous self, from a couple of years ago, would never have expected that. I would've imagined quite the opposite.

Come to think of it, I'm reading a lot at the moment, and all over the place I'm finding taoist ideas... I do wonder a lot how much of it is empirically "there" and how much is my own projection... What if a growing sense of mysterious sameness is a loss of reality... Which bring us, of course, to the question of what is "reality" anyway? Maybe that's what we are doing, on purpose. From a certain point of view, we explorers of taoism, Buddhism, etc, are deliberately making ourselves crazy. From another view, we're making ourselves sane.

But the same ideas come up time and again. Why does some of the stuff it says in the Upanishads fit so neatly next to some of the stuff in the Tao Te Ching? Why do the teachings of Buddha and Christ, the Tao Te Ching, the Sufi teachings, and probably many more (I'm still reading) line up so well? They all seem to be pointing to one mysterious truth...

But I don't think there's anything wrong with looking into sociobiology as part of this quest. It's just one more viewpoint, no more or less valid than the sayings of the Yogi. Indeed, people have known these truths for thousands of years, here and there, but when modern science expresses them, it's often done in clearer (albeit less appropriate, therefore) language. Quality of interpretation depends partly on the mind of the interpreter and partly on the wealth of collected information, and I intend to collect from as many sources as I can find.

Such is my (stereotypical thinking hippy) quest to find god (in an agnostic-cycling-into-pantheist kind of way).
  • edited April 2011
    It makes me smile to see you suggest "it's just another by-path", as he's saying the exact same things you are, about viewing people from the point of view of the human animal, etc.

The by-path is the supposition of pushing anything that is "geared towards breaking the reader out of any narrow-minded partial worldview". As I see it, one is only able to understand that which one already intuitively knows. This make the idea teaching anything 'outside the box' a cultural hoodwink of sorts.
    Of course, it could just be that I'm seeing what I want to see, both there and here. I always try to keep that in mind now whenever I feel enthusiastic about something. Happily, that doesn't really detract from my enjoyment of it. If anything, it makes it easier to enjoy ideas "safely", not attaching any strong belief to them. My previous self, from a couple of years ago, would never have expected that. I would've imagined quite the opposite.

That sound promising. The rapidity of change you feel may be more emotional that "empirically there" as you put it below.
    Come to think of it, I'm reading a lot at the moment, and all over the place I'm finding taoist ideas... I do wonder a lot how much of it is empirically "there" and how much is my own projection... What if a growing sense of mysterious sameness is a loss of reality... Which bring us, of course, to the question of what is "reality" anyway? Maybe that's what we are doing, on purpose. From a certain point of view, we explorers of taoism, Buddhism, etc, are deliberately making ourselves crazy. From another view, we're making ourselves sane.

I would say that by relying on thought as a way of connecting to "reality" we have impaired our intuitive sense of reality. This leaves us feeling deeply disconnected from the rest of "reality" (the universe, creation, 'this'). So, certainly, we are all trying to reconnect as best we can, yet we always shoot ourselves in the foot with thinking. Some, "the explorers" attempt to resolve this by 'thinking outside the box'. Others hang on to the shore of home—their cultural dogma (political, religious, scientific, music, sports… if you can name it, it has a dogma base. The former are the "crazy", the later are the "sane", at least in the eyes of the later.
    But the same ideas come up time and again. Why does some of the stuff it says in the Upanishads fit so neatly next to some of the stuff in the Tao Te Ching? Why do the teachings of Buddha and Christ, the Tao Te Ching, the Sufi teachings, and probably many more (I'm still reading) line up so well? They all seem to be pointing to one mysterious truth...

When the mind leaves it tribal dogma and see the world as it is, mysterious sameness is all that one can see.
    But I don't think there's anything wrong with looking into sociobiology as part of this quest. It's just one more viewpoint, no more or less valid than the sayings of the Yogi. Indeed, people have known these truths for thousands of years, here and there, but when modern science expresses them, it's often done in clearer (albeit less appropriate, therefore) language. Quality of interpretation depends partly on the mind of the interpreter and partly on the wealth of collected information, and I intend to collect from as many sources as I can find. Such is my (stereotypical thinking hippy) quest to find god (in an agnostic-cycling-into-pantheist kind of way).

From the "more or less valid" standpoint, all thoughts and points of view are equal. These are all expressions of our struggle to make sense of it all. Ironically, the attempt to make sense of it is futile. Reality is only partly 'sensible'. More useful for the many is a dogma that limits itself to the useful. Stop signs and Buddha 4 Truths come immediately to mind. For the few, nothing suffices, thought stop signs and Buddha's Truths sure help. In the end, we are sailing off into the unknown. Perhaps every thinking human is; we are just more intent about it.

As usual Dan, interesting thoughts. Here is where you may end up if you're lucky?... :-?...or unlucky?

[chref=10]When your discernment penetrates the four quarters Are you capable of not knowing anything?[/chref]
  • Evening.

Just dropping in to say, yep, by-path, you were right, I'd say. I wandered around for a couple of days thinking complicated exciting thoughts, but oddly, the promises these thoughts made started to stress me out, I realised. So, tonight I found myself comparing translations of the Tao Te Ching (and finding new meaning; your own translations have been a helpful perspective), and realised you'd called it, so I felt it was my duty as a loyal Abbottist (you never did choose which name you wanted) to openly defer to your wisdom.

Arigato, sensei.
  • edited April 2011
    Oh, such a name will never do, i.e., "The name that can be…" Although, 'Centertaoist' might work. That just translated to 'middle taoist' which ain't bad, eh?

As far as "complicated exciting thoughts" goes, this perspective is priceless: [chref=36]If you would have a thing laid aside, You must first set it up[/chref], and so one. Likewise, folly must precedes wisdom. It is just the natural way. As best you can, [chref=16]return[/chref] and again [chref=28]return[/chref] . Consolidate.
  • Quite so. Every time I wander away from the security of the tao (this is one way I think of it anyway), I always come back feeling like I've increased my intuitive understanding... or, I suppose, that I've expanded my own interpretation of the Tao Te Ching in some new way that fits my experience better.

Now, centertaoist I like, a lot. The middle of the middle path. Balancing on the median of existence while traffic whizzes past in either direction. Well, as you rightly point out, any name is not the constant name. Makes me wonder how Jesus' name would have been pronounced in his time. Not the way we have it, in any case.