What do you want to be when you grow up?

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
Hmm I bet if you whisper "don't wear shoes" over and over in her ear while she is sleeping, it'll work :wink: LOL

You sound proud when you speak about the boys' birth. I noticed it when you told Vickie on the show that they were born in that room. I love that!

Comments

• edited December 1969
    This question is for anyone regardless of age.
    We all have growing to do & despite our best intentions, desires, dreams, goals...I know first hand it's silly to plan in life-everything that means anything to me at this point (my kid, my job, this website) came out of nowhere-been that way forever-nothing planned works out. but still we try.

What will Kyle & Luke do with their lives? According to the forums posters, they'll just live at home until Carl dies, then committ mass suicide...LOL-but they have computer skills, language skills, and of course the music to fall back on...very lucky and industrious (funny how often 'luck' goes hand in hand with hard work...)
    you need such things to be part of your life, but don't fool yourself into thinking anything (or anyone) IS your whole life...

As for me, i'll continue my martial arts study, eventually teach it, work at this job another 12 or so years, help my kid become a palentologist (his currrent goal) or whatever he decides to do later, and basically just keep trying to do more good than harm...I'd also like to try stand up comedy, maybe write a book or two...
  • edited December 1969
    My goal is to just be a mom, I would like to have many more children, and when they are grown I would like to become a midwife.
  • edited December 1969
    I retired a year ago at age 55 and I've never looked back. What I want to be when I grow up is less fearful, more present, less judgmental, more accepting, less selfish, more connected, less angry, more loving. Now re-reading that, I realize that maybe I just have to accept that I feel scared, judgmental, selfish and angry and then let it go. I dunno.
  • edited December 1969
    I am in my 20s. So far, I have been a proffesional actor, registered interior designer, business owner, and now I am planning on going back to school for dentistry.

I want to be a novelist, go back to acting part time as a hobby, and just once at least go to the bottom of the ocean in a submarine.

What I really wanted to be when I was a kid was a code breaker for the Naval forces, in a sub of course. Or a cat burglar.
  • edited December 1969
    Just a must needs to be more ambitious-already in your 20's and thats all you've done so far!? LOL-just pulling your leg-thats an admirable list. keep it up. follow your bliss.
  • edited December 1969
    Buddy: My extended family just thinks I am flaky and cannot make up my mind. I am not "settled" and do not know how to "committ".

lol.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] JustAMuse38:[/cite]I am in my 20s. So far, I have been a proffesional actor, registered interior designer, business owner, and now I am planning on going back to school for dentistry.

I want to be a novelist, go back to acting part time as a hobby, and just once at least go to the bottom of the ocean in a submarine.

What I really wanted to be when I was a kid was a code breaker for the Naval forces, in a sub of course. Or a cat burglar.

You're worse than me...

Actually I'm still in High School, and I really want to go to college to be a dentist, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to commit to 8 years of suffering. My other choices are: teacher, mom, psychologist, jet pilot for USAF (sweet), and artist...

Unfortunatly the only ones my parents really agree on are dentist and USAF pilot... :roll:
  • edited December 1969
    Dentists have the highest suicide rate of any profession...
  • edited December 1969
    Hi .... re: being a dentist ....

It is really tough to figure out your whole life in high school. Something your parents and counsellers will not tell you: there are always more chances. Opportunity is all around us, if one knows how to look. If you go to college and study something and realize it is a mistake for you, don't worry. You will find a way around it.

I am the type of person that needs to do many different things. I would not be happy stuck in a career of one thing. The reason I am going through to be a dentist is because it will give me the opportunity to care for my parents financially when they are older (a real practical need in my family) and also afford me time to draw and act. If I could I would act all day, ever day, and pay someone to do it. But that is not possible right now, so I have to go in other directions.

Just remember, what you "do" is not who you are. Look at the practical needs, and your heart, and try to combine them into a decision that looks like it is in the right direction.

And by the way, often our passion and our lifes purpose are not the same. And to make matters worse, sometimes the two are different than our vocation. For instance ... my passion is performing. My life purpose is to write. And my vocation is, I believe, to become a dentist. Some people are lucky because they are all the same, but not always.

And, nowadays, it is normal to change ones career at least once.
  • edited December 1969
    Theres a guy at work who looks just like Herbie, the elf who wants to be a dentist in the Rudolph xmas special
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Osheen:[/cite]And by the way, often our passion and our lifes purpose are not the same. And to make matters worse, sometimes the two are different than our vocation. For instance ... my passion is performing. My life purpose is to write. And my vocation is, I believe, to become a dentist. Some people are lucky because they are all the same, but not always.
    Or maybe some people are unlucky enough to have them all the same.

There was this special on 60 Minutes or something about some famous guitarist. The guitar is his passion, his occupation; it is what gives his life meaning. In his interview, he said that he would like to enjoy doing something else. He's tried all sorts of hobbies. But he can't be happy unless his activity involves the guitar. He is a prisoner to music. See why separating passion and profession can be a good thing?
  • edited December 1969
    Luke: Totally cool point! Thank you. I suppose it would be like being a prisoner, especially if something happened and you could no longer play music. I know, the ONE thing that I HAVE to do before I die is write a book that is "the one" for me. I don't even care if it is published, as long as it is there, written. As long as I have birthed it.

Buddy: lol. I will have to get a picture of that elf for inspiration. I remember deciding I was going to be a dentist. Before I went to sleep, I told my higher self to tell me what to do .... what will provide for my family and let me find a happy medium with myself .... and I dreamed I was a dentist. It took me about a year to say "ya, ok, I can see where your going with that". Lol. But then, I am the only one in the world that LIKES to go to the dentist, so I am sick already.
  • edited December 1969
    My dentist can put her entire fist in my mouth. She didnt mean to, but I surprised her...

as for writing, i'm with you-if i dont get a book out of my life, it's been a wasted existance. since I was a kid, thats been my dream-but I've never been disciplined enuf to write much more than these posts here...

I knew a guitarist, all he ever did for a living, loved it, enjoyed it, but soon as he turned 65 & got social secuirty, he put the thing down and never picked it up again...