Resistance is life; resistance is futile

I've never heard of "Prometheus Rising", but then don't read much other than Science News and whatever I must for practical reasons. If, as you say, "the whole book seems to be geared towards breaking the reader out of any narrow-minded partial worldview", then I'd say it's just other 'by-path'/story. Our "narrow minded partial worldview" arises out of deep emotional / instinctive areas of the brain. No writing or speaking will ever "break a reader out".

It is my view that the eye of the beholder is the crucial element in what one sees. The world is self evident, and most obvious if one isn't blind-sided by one's desire and worry (i.e., one's story). That is why Buddha and other 'old ones' (Lao Tzu's) saw 'it' so clearly without the aid of any sociobiology or other science. The way I see it, science only supports what has long been known. More data isn't what is needed--better interpretation is. And the quality of interpretation depends on the mind of the interpreter, which is influence by one's needs/desires and fears/worries. The Achilles heal lies within.

Of course, that's not to say it wouldn't be an enjoyable read if it says what you want to hear. Oh my, what a bah hum bug I be! :mrgreen: (I dont' know what this icon stands for, but it seems to fit 'bah hum bug-ness'.)

Comments

• edited December 1969
    ‘Living with the dead’ has another side to it. In our relationships, no matter to whom or what, we virtually living with the dead. Change is how relationships flow, and all flow ‘uphill’ to the sea and merge – death. The only question is when. [chref=50]Setting too much store by life[/chref] intensifies the quandary, the difference. Going with the flow is only possible when [chref=75]one has no use for life[/chref].

Life is the active resistance to entropy. Yet, there is no peace until we cease to resist and go with the ‘flow’. Obviously, balance of the two, resistance and acceptance is key. In life, we are biased to resist and so balance lies in aiming for [chref=68]the virtue of non-contention[/chref]; turning the other cheek; surrendering; [chref=64]desiring not to desire[/chref]. Aiming for non-contention? It is a comforting hopeful ideal, even if [chref=78]everyone in the world knows yet no one can put this knowledge into practice[/chref]. Hope is resistance to the inevitable; hope is life.

I imagine that this sounds like a real ‘downer’ point of view to many. Truth is, only when I know and accept - moment to moment - that life is a process of resistance, and yet that resistance is futile can I truly [chref=33]know contentment[/chref].

Her last day alive, my mother said, “This is my last day”. She was a feisty competitive soul, but that day she seemed more [chref=46]content[/chref] than I had ever known her to be. I asked whether or not that was the case, and she said that is was. Personally, I feel she reached her pinnacle of non-contention on that day and could surrendered totally and go with the ‘flow’. The last thing she said that night was, “I’m going home”. I said, “You are home”. She said, “I know, but I’m going home”.

‘Home’
  • edited December 1969
    First, let me say how sorry I am for your loss. The loss of a mother is like no other.

But what a beautiful way to go: to be ready and to surrender; to contentedly go home. To have a chance to tell family members what she wishes for them and to go out singing! May we all be so fortunate.