Bluegrass-Why? How?

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
Buddy, that is a great idea! Carl would make it so far, and I bet even win on Survivor!

I too have many more questions about the next episode, but I guess we have to wait till Monday.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    How did a family with California roots and an interest in eastern religion discover bluegrass? What made you start playing it? Did the parents have any musical training before the boys started playing?
  • edited December 1969
    Cut & pasted directly from http://www.playingbyear.com/AboutUs.aspx:
    [cite] The PlayingByEar.com About Us Page:[/cite]We offer the following slices of our personal history with music in the chance that it may help you with your own musical path.

'Papa' (Carl Abbott) brings up the rear when it comes to innate musical talent; neither was music a part of his upbringing. While his folks did play in their early days, the 'pace of life' after the kids came shoved music out of the picture. Moreover, he was raised, as most 20th century children, to be independent, and music wasn't necessary for independence and success. With no reason to stay, his 'independent' upbringing lead him to travel and live abroad for the next 15 years.

Early on Carl was inspired to play music by various encounters with fellow travelers who could. His efforts in this came to no avail, despite numerous attempts to learn the banjo, guitar, fiddle and mandolin. Why? Without a doubt, trying too hard and trying to do it alone.

'Mama' (Leslie Abbott) experienced a similar series of unsatisfying attempts at music, gave up and resigned herself to listening to others make music. Then came their kids, Luke and Kyle.

Carl, with still an ember of hope alive, figured his musical quest might pan out if they all did music together as a 'family duty'. As soon as the kids could toddle, 'Gema' (Carl's mom) began coming over on Saturdays to help make music a family tradition. A few years later, they bought new instruments for the boys: a banjo for Luke and a mandolin for Kyle, which was just right for a seven-year-old's hands.

The kids have never had music lessons, so how did they learn without a teacher? Well, frankly, they had 'teachers', many teachers. The boys listened and observed folks playing music at bluegrass jams and festivals. When you think about it, it's not surprising that the kids picked up music so naturally. That's also how they learned to speak!

The most wonderful part of this is how the kids taught their parents how to approach music intuitively, not by what they said, but by their actions. The ToneWay Music Method presented here arises out of a child's intuitive grasp of the "roots", together with a father's passion to 'draw' those "roots" out of him and write them down. Finally, at 60, Papa can sing, play and ENJOY! Mama loves to sing harmony and feels blessed that the bonds between the family, and friends, are strengthened through the old-time music tradition.

We hope that playing music can bring you as much joy as it has to us!

Sincerely,
    The Abbotts
  • edited December 1969
    but i'm still wondering how it came to be bluegrass and traditional music-such obscure forms-was it already popular with granny and the family, or was it because the instruments fit the kids hands or what...
  • edited December 1969
    Long story (probably starting with what my dad was doing in his travels around the world), but we got hooked on bluegrass after going to a festival in 1997 . . .
  • edited December 1969
    My kid is starting the trumpet-and we've decided if i take up the mandolin, we'll start a trumpet / mandolin bluegrass band-lets see your teaching system work with that combination!
  • edited December 1969
    The music that we play is soooo simple, anybody who plays it is a musician in his or her own right. . . it's only when we play all together we might have a little problem. :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    Has there ever been an instrument that you or Luke just could not play, could not figure out?

Either of you play the harmonica? I wanta learn to play one in case I ever ride the rails...