Chapter of the Week: #62

Ho! Are we going to have a discussion about what "change" means? (It was traditionally always London cab drivers who denied the existence of change. Or at least, they'd never have any of it on them. But I digress.)

Exhibit 1:

"The Tao Te Ching (the core Taoist scripture) invites you to contemplate your innermost sense of reality. It doesn’t tell you what to do or think, but rather stimulates you to think and reflect."

http://www.centertao.org/tao-te-ching/

Exhibit 2:

"Stimulate 1: to excite to activity or growth or to greater activity : animate , arouse 2 a: to function as a physiological stimulus to b: to arouse or affect by a stimulant (as a drug)"

Merriam Webster Online Dictionary http://209.161.37.11/dictionary/stimulate

I was careful to not say "improve" but I thought "change" was safe enough in its breadth.

I beg to submit that we read the Tao Te Ching in the expectation that it will have some effect on us. Though in fact, all the time it is just those atoms and their collisions that makes us pick up the laptop and read. And it's the same cascade of physical interactions further down the line. which will determine whether we are stimulated or not, no matter what we may decide or think about the Tao.

I rest my case for why Determinism makes a mockery of any decision to look at things differently. (*)

(* This is tongue in cheek, and let's say I am representing Determinism as an attorney, without necessarily believing in it).

Further QM and Philosophy musings in future comment. A little learning is a dangerous thing, especially coming from an amateur like me.

Comments

• edited May 2008
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 62
    The way is the refuge for the myriad creatures.
    It is that by which the good man protects,
    And that by which the bad is protected.

Beautiful words when offered will win high rank in return;
    Beautiful deeds can raise a man above others.

Even if a man is not good, why should he be abandoned?

Hence when the emperor is set up and the three ducal ministers are appointed, he
    who makes a present of the way without stirring from his seat is preferable to
    one who offers presents of jade disks followed by a team of four horses. Why was
    this way valued of old? Was it not said that by means of it one got what one
    wanted and escaped the consequences when one transgressed?

Therefore it is valued by the empire.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
    Now, do it too at Wengu!
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

The idea that by means of the way (or perhaps by praying to God) I get what I want is interesting. On the face of it, that means if I want a yacht and mansion I can get them by means of the way. Hah... I see it otherwise. When I truly use the way to get what I want, what I want changes from a desire for more to a [chref=37]desire[/chref] for less, from complex to simple, from material to 'spiritual'. Put simply, a [chref=64]desire not to desire[/chref].

This is more in line with the view that making a present of the way without stirring is preferable. Worldly presents customarily stir in reciprocity and various ulterior motives. Even if there are no strings attached, like a 'thank you', such giving shines some light back upon me. A present of the way is too [chref=14]indistinct and shadowy[/chref] to 'shine any light' back upon me. Unlike normal giving, making a present of the way can’t even make me feel good and content. Indeed, [chref=33]contentment[/chref] causes that giving rather than resulting from it. In other words, I can only make a present of the way when I already feel good and [chref=46]content[/chref]. Although perhaps making a present of the way helps sustain [chref=44]contentment[/chref] a bit. Hmm...

First the 'semi literal' translation says:
    The way of the myriad things is profound and difficult to understand.
    Of the good person it is precious, of the not good person it is protective.
    Beautiful words can bring worldly honor.
    Beautiful behavior can augment people.
    For people not good, why abandon them?

Hence, the son of heaven sets in place three commonalities,
    Even surrounded by jade and presented with horses,
    This is incomparable with receiving the way.
    Of old, why was this way so valued?
    Wasn't it said that by using it one got what one sought.
    By using it one avoided the evils of hardship.
    Hence it is valued by all under heaven.

The literal Chinese looks like this:
    way of myriad things profound(abstruse; difficult to understand)
    of good(satisfactory, kind) people treasure, of not good(satisfactory, kind) people place protect(maintain)
    beautiful words can market(city) respect (honour).
    beautiful go(circulate; do; perform; carry out; behaviour) add(increase; augment) people.
    of people not good(satisfactory, kind), why throw away (discard, abandon) have(there is; exist).

therefore, stand(set up; upright; establish; live) heaven son (the emperor), place(put; set up; establish) three public(collective; common; equitable),
    even if have surround ceremonial jade use(take; because of; in order to) earlier(before; first; in advance) a team of four horses,
    not like(compare with, as if) sit advance(enter, receive) this way.
    of old so(therefore, as a result) value this way 'why'
    not say(call, name) beg(request; seek; try) use(take; because of; in order to; so as to) get( satisfied).
    have crime(guilt; blame; suffering) use(take; because of; in order to; so as to) exempt(dispense with; avoid; escape) evil(heretical; irregular).
    hence do(act; serve as; become; be; mean) all under heave value.
  • azaz
    edited December 1969
    Having expectations means you encounter the evils of hardship. Can I really love unconditionally or live the tao if I have expectations (ideals)? No, because I feel let down when my expectation is not fulfilled and this may be self dislike and thus inability to love. For example "It must have been the bias of the judges that I didn't win the competition." I am let down, I place blame. Thus I cannot escape the consequences of my actions (expectations), disappointment. Doing the I Ching has helped me see reality better by being able to see that every day is different and in accord with nature. Some days are up, some are down, some are dangerous, some are rewarding; expectations, or idealistic views tend to all be painted with your own colored glasses, and have little to do with reality.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] az:[/cite]... expectations, or idealistic views tend to all be painted with your own colored glasses, and have little to do with reality.
    Little? Nah! I'd say none what-so-ever. Unless, of course, one [chref=71]thinks[/chref] his expectations and idealistic views are reality. Naturally, that also applies to anything I think as well. Isn't thought odd? [chref=78]Straightforward words seem paradoxical[/chref].