TS: Trading Spouses and "California Hippies"

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
I'm very good at getting other people's thoughts down on paper...

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I feel that the Trading Spouses really exploited your family. They advertised you as "California Hippies" the term hippie seems negitive and usually goes with things that you didnt do (such as drugs).

Your feeling on China possibly becoming a super power is very accurate. They have a huge young male population who they could put in a military, they have a lot of money from American manufacturing. Speaking Chinese is a big plus for buisness and it is great that you know it.

The mother from Nashville, TN didnt seem to be very educated. While you live in harmony with nature and eat healty foods she smoked cigarretes. She wanted your family to wear shoes. I noticed that you looked like you were wearing shoes in the Chinese place so its not like you wouldnt wear them if they were required.

You drove an old toyota which is quite fuel efficent. The bottom line in my view is that you have a great life - with great quality of life!

Your religion Taoism seems to be a good religion too.
  • edited December 1969
    I just got off a long term on a 'hippies' forum, and man, is that word over used and misconstrued. Am i a hippie because I go barefoot? Or not, becuase I wouldnt attend a peace march if you gave me a ride? Can someone born after the 60's be a hippie? Or are they wanna-bes?
    ...a prime example of people needing 'words' to define the world around them...
    still, I prefer it to 'redneck' which they've also been called, i'm assuming because of the barefooting-that must be the 21st century equivalent of 'hillbilly'...
  • edited December 1969
    I just realized all this discussion has arisen after only one episode...there's one more to go! Ooo, can't wait...Vicki makes Carl break down by questioning his integrity? Leslie gets a priceless gift? and will the boys wear shoes??!! and theres the matter of the $50,000! If I were Vicki, I'd buy them $50, 000 worth of nike stock-LOL
    I've purposely avoided asking questions pertaining to the next episode, and I notice they havent dropped any hints...cant' wait...

and a apssing thought: I think Carl should be on the next 'Survivor' -he's in better shape (and definately smarter, or more accurately, wiser) than most men half his age...
  • edited December 1969
    Buddy, that is a great idea! Carl would make it so far, and I bet even win on Survivor!

I too have many more questions about the next episode, but I guess we have to wait till Monday.
  • edited December 1969
    yea youre right about carl being good on survivor.
  • edited December 1969
    Im watching the second episode....

In the 2nd episode Vickie looks a lot more educated, she still doesnt agree with your life style...Well it seems all fake as Fox edited it anyway they wanted...i wonder how things REALLY were...so much for "reality" tv
  • edited December 1969
    Actually, i heard Vicki didnt even really exist-she was computer generated...well, at least she WAS animated...
  • edited December 1969
    I don't know if you watched the episodes just prior to yours, where a vegan family from California was highlighted. Unfortunately, the vegan mom turned out to be mean to children and not even a good vegan (she ate alligator meat).

When I first saw a preview for your stint on the show, all I could think was great, another way to make all Californians look like wacko hippies.

But the difference between your show and the vegan family was so apparent. You came across as an unusual but TOLERANT family. The bonds between you were so apparent that they used it against you. You made me proud to be a fellow Californian! In contrast, Vickie Lowe seemed completely intolerant when she rejected your music and made such a fuss about walking in the woods.

I went to college at UCSC, and it was so fun to see all the shots of downtown, the Boardwalk, the pier, and the ever-lovely redwoods. :D
  • edited December 1969
    Yeah. We saw the Barbra-Diana episode. That ZeZe is some kid. She calls herself a health nut and smokes! But probably enough people "flamed" her so I won't salt the wounds. I don't think they edited her too much to show her who she is on TV.

Even though Vicki didn't care too much for Bluegrass, she did try it out and we got her playing the bass ('cause it's the easiet stringed instrument to learn right away). Of course FOX didn't want to show it of course.

The show had some of the best shots of Santa Cruz. I would like to have those shots as my wallpaper/backround on my computer. I'll give FOX that much.
  • edited December 1969
    I loved the frequently used opening shot of the tree in your front yard and the house behind-they pay big bucks to folks to create those kind of picture perfect shots...used to have a friend whose job was to make fast food look good in ads, set it up, get it all looking tempting and juicy...
    & yeah, i was disappointed they didnt show anything of Vicki trying an instrument-thought her song was good, though...
  • edited December 1969
    Yep, we're proud of that tree :wink: .

Oh, and Hepcat, tell the tribe of lubbery cusion-footed pockmarked savaging Anthropithecus's at the boards (not your board 'cause they are a bit better) that my spelling/grammar (though I spell it grammer) is just as bad as their own spelling. I've heard quite a bit of talk about people whining about my spelling. In my defense, my HTML editor [wordpad] doesn't include a spell checker. I know how to spell, I just rapidly type a lot and don't look up at the monitor very much when I type. Just thought I'd mention that.
    :wink: Peace! :D
  • edited December 1969
    This is one of the funniest things I've read today: (found it here...)
    [cite] Ndidi5:[/cite]I doubt they put it up themselves. I don't look like any of them have the "know how" to do that. My bor makes web sites for people...its not as if you can turn on Microsoft word and start up a web site. There is a great deal of computer codes and html that goes into putting one up. Secondly, they can go to anywhere and have access to it....
    LOL! That just cracked me up! :lol:

Luke

P.S. - Hey Ndidi5: Send me an instant message, and I'll hack into your router and bring down your internet connection . . . :twisted:
  • edited December 1969
    Luke,

Someone on AOL accused me yesterday of being the person who made this entire site! I only WISH I had the know-how to put a site like this together. Of course, these are the people who are still convinced you all have no tv, running water, electicity, etc lol!

Susan
  • edited December 1969
    Luke was Instant Messaging eight people at a time once before the show started. They were wanting to talk about it 'cause they were on the east coast and already saw it and we were waiting to see it.

To avoid getting numerous Instant Messages at one time, I just turn it off. It's hard to IM one person 'cause other people will pop up on the screen.
  • edited December 1969
    Doesnt look like ndidi5 has the 'know how' to even type! What is a 'bor'?
  • edited December 1969
    It means Business Object Repository. BOR is the object-oriented repository in the R/3 System. It contains the SAP business object types and SAP interface types as well as their components, such as methods, attributes and events.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Tao Nut:[/cite]Yep, we're proud of that tree :wink: .

Oh, and Hepcat, tell the tribe of lubbery cusion-footed pockmarked savaging Anthropithecus's at the boards (not your board 'cause they are a bit better) that my spelling/grammar (though I spell it grammer) is just as bad as their own spelling. I've heard quite a bit of talk about people whining about my spelling. In my defense, my HTML editor [wordpad] doesn't include a spell checker. I know how to spell, I just rapidly type a lot and don't look up at the monitor very much when I type. Just thought I'd mention that.
    :wink: Peace! :D

Cushion-footed? Is that what you call those of us who spend our days shod? :lol:

My husband has a PhD in Linguistics, and can't spell worth a dime.
  • edited December 1969
    Corblimey, that was me (hepcat) in the previous post. I'm not used to your system.
  • edited December 1969
    Yes,

I think Kyle called me "Discalceate challenged" once. I still don't really know what that means. :?
  • edited December 1969
    I think I like vanilla best of any ice cream...yeah, I'm pretty sure vanilla's best...
  • edited December 1969
    Hey! What sort of yarn is that? :wink: I never called you "Discalceate challenged". I don't even know what "Discalceate" means. Never!
    Cushion-footed? Is that what you call those of us who spend our days shod?

Nah, I don't have a problem with people wearing shoes but I rub it in for those turncoats on the boards who have a problem with me not wearing shoes and my lazyness for spell checking (lack of a spell checker). I call them turncoats (another word for waffler or flip-flopper [I do wear flip flops in stores 'n all]) because first they say we're brainwashed and now they say we're to unchained serial killers if you know what I mean.

A big positive of this whole experience is that I'm learning some new words that I would have never used before. Nowadays, all the four letter words are used so much, they lose their meaning and aren't really insulting. Quite the opposite, if somebody calls somebody a four letter word, it just shows they don't have imagination (nothing against them of course).
  • edited December 1969
    Kyle, you have a great command of the English language. I'm surprised you don't know what "discalceate" means...

From dictionary.com:

1 entry found for discalceate.
    Entry: barefoot
    Part of Speech: adjective
    Definition: shoeless
    Synonyms: barefooted, discalceate, discalced, shoeless, unshod
    Antonyms: booted, shoed

Feel free to use it in the future...
  • edited December 1969
    I sure will use it in the future! Thanks!

And thanks to Hepcat for using the word 'shod.' I looked it up and found out what it means! Thanks a bunch!
  • edited December 1969
    as in 'You shod be careful about talking to strangers'?
  • edited December 1969
    I thought Shod was a kind of fish.

A fish I've never caught but I like the name of is the Crappie.
  • edited December 1969
    Lots of Crappies up here in the lakes and rivers. They are from the pumpkinseed fish family (like sunfish) but have a good fish taste...not as good as bass but they taste decent...
  • edited December 1969
    I caught a crappie once using a stick and a piece of string-no bait-either really lucky or a really dumb fish...
  • edited December 1969
    Whoooha! No hook? just a string?
  • edited December 1969
    To answer your question, yeah, it was just a piece of string knotted at the end, I was just fooling around in a little stream, and a fish bit on it. Either very dumb or very hungry. Know a few people like that...
    Never fished again-no need to, already caught one, whats the point of catching any more...same way i gave up basketball after I made a half court shot...