Chapter of the Week: #60

Hello my friend, :-)
I too am gradually getting used to this new and modern place. The forum's old look was comfortable, like an old shoe. Not that I know any more what shoes feel like, old or new. And thanks for posting this. I was wondering if something site-wise was broken.

Isn't it a bit chilly over there to be swimming now? We use to take the kids when they were kids. Actually jumping in the ocean here (almost a daily routine now) can be quite exciting - especially in winter... wave-wise. Sometimes there will be a sea lion just off shore, but when we jump it to meet up off it goes.

Your observation on the reserved people rings a bell. Years ago I remember all of a sudden walking down the street and becoming aware of that. Of course we evolved to related to a few dozen people, not hundreds or thousands, so we need a lot of social protocol to feel safe. It is interesting how we can let go like "happy seals" - parades, dances, ball games, swimming pools. I suppose the spontaneous atmosphere there overwhelms the social fear we'd otherwise feel.

A big garden day today. Planting winter vegies and cleaning up. So, bed time now... and just when you'll be getting up I expect.

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 60
    Governing a large state is like boiling a small fish.

When the empire is ruled in accordance with the way,
    The spirits lose their potencies.
    Or rather, it is not that they lose their potencies,
    But that, though they have their potencies, do not harm the people,
    It is not only they who, having their potencies, do not harm the people,
    The sage, also, does not harm the people.
    As neither does any harm, each attributes the merit to the other.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
    Now, do it too at Wengu!
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

Actually, in my experience, living life itself is like boiling a small fish. Or maybe it's a little like frying a egg. I recall how in youth I would usually turn the heat up too high, burn the outside and yet end up with an undercooked egg on the inside. Why is patience so [chref=63]difficult[/chref]? Is this why patience is the [chref=41]highest virtue[/chref] (in my book anyway)? Or, in other words perhaps, virtue is impossible without patience. Patience is the bedrock of wisdom. With enough patience I reckon I could even govern a big country as if boiling a small fish. Hmm, even the U.S.A? Fortunately I’ll never have that ‘opportunity’. Whew!

Translating this is like boiling a small fish:
    Govern a big country as if boiling a small fish.
    Because of this, the way is present for all under heaven.
    The way's spirit is not magical.
    Not that its spirit is not magical, its magic does not hinder the people.
    Its magic does not hinder the people, and the holy person does not hinder the people.
    Neither hinders the other and therefore both deliver kindness in return.

And, now the fish before boiling:
    govern (rule, control) big country like (as if, seem) boil small fresh (bright; delicious; aquatic foods).
    use (take; according to; because of; in order to; so as to) way arrive (be present) heaven under,
    its ghost (spirit, terrible, clever) not god (supernatural, magical, clever).
    wrong (not conform to; run counter to; not; no) its ghost (spirit, terrible, clever) not god (supernatural, magical, clever),
    its god (supernatural, magical, clever) not wound (injury; hurt; distressed; hinder) people.
    wrong (not conform to; run counter to; not; no) its god (supernatural, magical, clever) not wound (injury; hurt; distressed; hinder) people,
    sage (saint, holy, sacred) person also not wound (hurt; distressed; develop an aversion to sth.; be harmful to; hinder) people.
    man both not each other (one another, mutually) wound (injury; hurt; distressed; hinder)
    incident (hence; therefore; consequently) virtue (moral character; heart;
    mind; kindness) hand over (give up; deliver) return (give back to; come together) here (herein; how; why)