Chapter of the Week: #58

I see Lau's use of wide learning as simply having a wealth of information/facts. As opposed to having a broad perspective, with some wisdom to use the info. that has come to one's attention.

If I'm focused on my perspective only, the info. I possess that supports my current desire only, then problems come up. If I have a broader perspective on things, acknowledging others' desires/needs, and not thinking that I know everything and thus we should do what I happen to think is right, then I'm able to work with the situation.

This really is important for me when I'm dealing with my 13 yr.old daughter. When we're trying to juggle her various activities in our overall schedule, it stresses us both if my position is that I have all the knowledge about how our schedule should go, and she just needs to fit into that. Versus we work together to figure it out, because schedules aren't etched in stone, and need to be "mysterious and formless". (Too bad my needy side wants a concrete schedule for the rest of my life, so I'd always know what to expect.)

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 58
    When the government is muddled
    The people are simple;
    When the government is alert
    The people are cunning.

It is on disaster that good fortune perches;
    It is beneath good fortune that disaster crouches.

Who knows the limit? Does not the straightforward exist? The straightforward
    changes again into the crafty, and the good changes again into the monstrous.
    Indeed, it is long since the people were perplexed.

Therefore the sage is square-edged but does not scrape,
    Has corners but does not jab,
    Extends himself but not at the expense of others,
    Shines but does not dazzle.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
    Now, do it too at Wengu!
  • edited December 1969
    [Note:I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

It is particularly refreshing to ponder an 'as close to the literal as possible' translation after reading the more poetic translation of D.C. Lau's for so many decades. It is not so much that one is 'better' than another, just like seeing a tree from the various angles is not 'better'. Although, seeing the tree from various angles can give you a 'better' sense of the tree. I expect that is even truer of the Tao Te Ching.

For example, where Lau's says 'when the government is muddled', the literal puts it as 'when its politics are close'. Certainly government is about politics, but politics happens whenever two or more people gather. Indeed the literal Chinese also translates the politics character as 'affairs of a family'. Next comes Lau's 'muddled', which the literal translates more directly as 'stuffy; close; shut one indoors; depressed'.

Ironically, the literal is a bit more muddled and so feels more honest. It is not that Lau's translation is not honest; rather, it is easier for a reader to interpret it less honestly. As we interpret ‘reality’ increasingly black and white, perceiving an [chref=14]indistinct and shadowy[/chref] one (i.e., [chref=56]mysterious sameness[/chref]) becomes increasingly difficult. And, without that perspective our [chref=16]impartiality[/chref] flies out the window.

So, while this verse does apply to government in general, focusing on government makes it easier to ignore the personal implications of small scale politics in our own lives. Of course, I suppose that's why we focus on the former in the first place. Anything [chref=49]to distract the mind[/chref], eh?

Who knows the limit, and such, comes across better in the literal Chinese than in D.C. Lau's (for me anyway). Here, 'Who knows its polar extremes' speaks more directly to the ebb and flow (extremes) of misfortune and happiness we experience throughout life. Then we come to Lau's 'indeed, it is long since the people were perplexed' and the more literal 'people are lost in such a long term reality'. Sure, both say the same thing really, so why do I feel the later makes the point better? Perhaps it is that D.C. Lau's employs [chref=81]beautiful words[/chref] a bit more. In this particular case, I was never sure of what was being said until I looked at the original Chinese. Of course, it doesn't really matter in the end because all I am actually observing is my own mind anyway.... :? :oops: :roll: :P :lol: :shock: :cry: :evil: :D :shock:

This is close to the literal:
    When its politics are close, its people are honest.
    When its politics are examined, its people are imperfect.
    Of misfortune, yet happiness rests upon.
    Of happiness, yet misfortune hides under.
    Who knows its polar extremes,
    Its nothingness purely straightforward.
    Purely straightforward, again becomes strange.
    Good, again becomes evil.
    People are lost in such a long term reality.
    Because of this, the wise person is honest and yet not cuttingly so.
    Honest and clean and yet not stabbingly so.
    Straight yet not wantonly so.
    Honorable yet not gloriously so.

This is even closer to the literal:
    its (their; that; such) politics (affairs of a family) stuffy (close; shut one indoors; depressed),
    its (their; that; such) people honest.
    its (their; that; such) politics (affairs of a family) examine (look into; scrutinize),
    its (their; that; such) people lack (incomplete; imperfect; be absent; vacancy; opening).
    misfortune still (yet, esteem, value) happiness (good fortune) of place lean on(rest on, reply on, biased).
    happiness (good fortune) still (yet, esteem, value) misfortune of place lie (prostrate; hide).
    who( which; what) knows its (their; that; such) extreme (pole; utmost),
    its (their; that; such) without (nothing, nil) straight (upright; main; pure; principal; regular).
    straight (upright; main; pure; principal; regular) duplicate (turn over, again) do (act; become) strange (queer; surprise; wonder).
    good duplicate (turn over; answer; again) do (act; serve as; become) goblin (demon; evil spirit; evil and fraudulent).
    people of confused (fascinated by) its (their; that; such) sun (day, daily, time) solid (firm, resolutely) long time.
    correct (yes, this, that) use (take, because of, as well as) holy person square (honest, upright) and (yet) not cut.
    honest and clean yet not stab.
    straighten (just, frank, vertical) yet not wanton (unbridled).
    light (honor, naked, nothing left) yet not brilliant (glorious).