Chapter of the Week: #55

Well, as we 'catch up with our tail' of the chapters where you seemed to commit yourself to it,
may i say on behalf of all us centertao readers that we are very pleased that you have had the interest to continue with your weekly translations of the TTC.
Initially you left your translations as [chref=21]indistinct[/chref] and [chref=17]shadowy[/chref] as you could, tho after a while you gave us some more 'quotable/memorable' interpretations as well as the literal.
I have found these insightful ponderings so far-[chref=34]reaching[/chref] and resonant that they lead us back to and inspire such a sense of awe with barely any attempt from you to make them beautiful and [chref=81]persuasive[/chref].
We will do our best to let these [chref=3]valuable[/chref] treasures only lead us to impartiality ;-)
As the chapters fly by i wonder if at some point you will also let the dust settle on one accumulative interpretation to leave us thirsty horses.

Do i hear a YeeeHAAA :!: :!: :!:

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 55
    One who possesses virtue in abundance is comparable to a new born babe:
    Poisonous insects will not sting it;
    Ferocious animals will not pounce on it;
    Predatory birds will not swoop down on it.
    Its bones are weak and its sinews supple yet its hold is firm.
    It does not know of the union of male and female yet its male member will stir:
    This is because its virility is at its height.
    It howls all day yet does not become hoarse:
    This is because its harmony is at its height.

To know harmony is called the constant;
    To know the constant is called discernment.
    To try to add to one's vitality is called ill-omened;
    For the mind to egg on the breath is called violent.

A creature in its prime doing harm to the old
    Is known as going against the way.
    That which goes against the way will come to an early end.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
    Now, do it too at Wengu!
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.

As a new born babe, my essential concern (as I recall :wink:) was for my own physical and emotional integrity. In those pre-thinking days I had no concern for the integrity of ideals (or thought from which they spring). As an adult I got side tracked for awhile by ideals and struggling to [chref=38]never strays from virtue[/chref]. Fortunately I realized the futility of this self righteous approach within a few years. Note: the word ‘de’ or ‘te’ is Te in the title, Tao Te Ching. It translates as something between integrity and virtue. Virtue can be a word loaded with overtones of morality, so I prefer the word integrity.

When I am deeply cherishing my integrity I have little-to-no concern for what is ‘out there’, be that poisonous insects, ferocious animals, predatory birds. For me, integrity is life’s core. Only there do I feel safe. Only there does a sting, pounce or swoop pose no perceived threat, and more often than not, no real threat either. Without integrity, life is not worth living. It is then that life becomes complicated as I begin to [chref=48]meddle[/chref]. I am only able to [chref=63]pursue that which is not meddlesome[/chref] when integrity is my sole desire. The desire for 'self' enhancement over integrity also drives the attempt to add to vitality and to egg on the breath. Clearly, desire is the enemy of integrity; no wonder [chref=64]the sage desires not to desire[/chref]. To simply desire not to desire works pretty well, I’ve found. It is only when I [chref=46]desire[/chref] to ‘desire not to desire’ that things start to go haywire.

The almost literal:
    Deeply cherished integrity is comparable to an infant's sincerity.
    Poison insects don't sting it, fierce beasts don't seize it, birds will not grab it.
    Its bones are weak, its muscle supple, yet its hold is firm.
    It doesn't know the joining of female and male, yet its work is complete, its spirit perfect.
    Endlessly it can howl, yet not become hoarse, its knowing perfect.
    To know the constant is called clear and honest.
    The beneficial existence is called lucky.
    The mind inciting life energy is called unyielding.
    The powerful ruling the old.
    These are called not of the way.
    That which is not of the way ends early.

The almost coherent:
    of cherish virtue (integrity)deep (kind, large, rich flavor) compared (next to, match) to (in, at, from, by) sincere child (virtuous man, seed, egg).
    poison insects not sting, fierce beast not seize, grab bird not handle.
    bone weak muscle supple yet hold firm.
    have not know female male join yet complete (whole, total, full) do (work, be, regard as) of refined (perfect, spirit, essence) extremely also.
    end (death, eventually, all) sun (day, time) howl yet not hoarse, of know extremely also.
    know constant (common, normal) called bright ( clear, honest, open).
    benefit life called auspicious (lucky).
    heart (mind, core, feeling) send (apply, enable, use) life energy called make an effort (stubborn, strong, unyielding).
    things strong norm (rule, standard, criterion) old (aged, always).
    of say (call, sense, meaning) not way, not way early cease.