Chapter of the Week: #53

The following video is well worth watching. A famous British playright, dying of cancer gives a last interview on TV.

Keep watching to hear him talk of how "the nowness of everything is absolutely wondrous".

A textbook example of achieving clarity through the dropping of the "mask" or ego (he refers to this). In this case, his imminent and unavoidable death has done this unmasking for him. Though I think there are other routes.

You discuss "jumping" in another discussion: Maybe one can make oneself jump (out of the mask, as it were).

But perhaps we need to be pushed.

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 53
    Were I possessed of the least knowledge, I would, when walking on the great
    way, fear only paths that lead astray. The great way is easy, yet people prefer
    by-paths.

The court is corrupt,
    The fields are overgrown with weeds,
    The granaries are empty;
    Yet there are those dressed in fineries,
    With swords at their sides,
    Filled with food and drink,
    And possessed of too much wealth.
    This known as taking the lead in robbery.

Far indeed is this from the way.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
    Now, do it too at Wengu!
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.

The great way is easy, yet people prefer by-baths is one of my all time favorite passages. Having a sense of that helps me keep an eye out for my own by-paths. Of course the tricky part of that is when I get going on a by-path; keeping an eye out become less possible. Knowing the by-path are there and that I’ve trod them often is perhaps more useful, like seeing a warning sign saying ‘Bridge Out Ahead’. Interestingly, the literal Chinese doesn’t say by-paths, but rather, just paths. And yes, I suppose any and every path is a by-path. Paths give us a way to proceed forward and let the work of awareness slide into automatic. There is less need to be watchful (mindful, attentive, careful, alert, ‘wild’ and natural) when a way has been pre-cleared. Whoopee, we can return to day dreaming our way through life.

There is another subtle difference between Lau’s translation and the literal. Compare, ‘This is known as taking the lead in robbery. Far indeed is this from the way’, with, ‘This is justifiably called in praise of robbery. It is not the way as well’. The difference I see is connected to what I call the Taoist disclaimer at the beginning of chapter one. Saying ‘far indeed from the way’ takes a shot at the behavior mentioned. ‘It is not the way as well’ feels more gentle and broad, referring my mind back to that disclaimer: [chref=1]The way that can be spoken of is not the constant way[/chref]. Although, perhaps I am just splitting hairs.

Put your poetic hat on before reading the following poetically licensed translation:
    Were I able to mindfully have awareness, going moment to moment on the great way, only bestowing respect.
    The great way is very safe and smooth, yet people love paths.
    The government is very removed, the fields very overgrown, the storehouses very empty.
    Colorful clothes and culture, belted sharp swords, bored with drink and food, a surplus of wealth and goods.
    This is justifiably called in praise of robbery.
    It is not the way as well.

No poetic license used here for the literal, so just your fuzziest overview should do:
    send (enable) I be situated between (take seriously, mind) right (correct, so) have know (be aware) go (travel) 'now from this' big (great) way,
    only (alone) bestow correct (this) fear (respect).
    great way very smooth (safe), yet people love paths.
    government very eliminate (divide), fields very over grown with weeds, storehouses very empty.
    clothes culture color, belt sharp sword, be bored with (detest, fed up with) drink food, wealth goods have surplus.
    correctly say rob overstate (boast).
    wrong (no, not conform to) way also (as well, either)?