bare feet

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
Unfortunately, our so-called "normal society" is failing. Be wise and become more educated in these matters before you criticize.

And don't forget, A bedroom door WON'T keep a pedophile away.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    As a longtime Barefooter and recently a rather reluctant Bf activist, I'm delighted to see bare feet displayed prominently on network tv, especially by teens, notoriously the most modest of groups when it comes to any baring of soles or souls.
    Was surprised to read that Carl followed the boys lead in shedding shoes for good, and not the other way around. Proof that he does listen to them and accept input. I'd like to know what his history was before then, per going bare foot.
    My questions are: when did you first become aware that barefooting was not something the majority of people your age or any age do? Was there ever a time when you thought about 'conforming'? Do any of your friends go BF?Do you find yourself wearing shoes more as you age and gain new interests (ie, the softball games, from K's blog)? Where do you go regularly Bf, and where don't you go because of anti Bf policys?
    There are stores, theatres, libraries, etc.. that accept BF (and these we try and highlight on our 'society for barefoot living' website), and those that dont. I'm currently in what may become a court battle with Winco food stores to change or remove their sign that states barefooting in store is 'against the law'. Contrarily, the local Safeway manager welcomes me, and has even posted a sign stating Barefoot customers are OK! I may start going to Costco since Kyle writes of going there several times in his blog...

I guess if you don't think about it much (besides responding to the occasional rude comment as we all must) thats even better-no one should worry about such a trivial thing thats none of their business anyway-same way I think the world should be clothing optional, long as you're not doing anything inappropriate.
    I plan on being barefoot as often as possible, more than ever before, come nicer weather, and my kid already is this way. Probably I'll wear shoes only to work. I'm writing around, gathering info from local businesses on their BF policies. It's about personal freedoms to me, and being allowed to make my own decisions. Wish i didnt have to worry about it at all...
  • edited December 1969
    For those of you who don't know, the story behind our 'barefootedness' is as follows: both my parents have been wearing shoes all their lives. When I was growing up, my parents didn't require me to wear shoes, figuring that if I needed them I'd let that be known. But, lo and behold, I got along just fine without them. After several years of this, my dad realized that, if my three-year-old son doesn't feel the need to wear shoes, why do I need to always be wearing them? So he slowly started going barefoot.

Now, as for your questions:

1) I don't remember, but I'm sure I knew pretty early on, since I saw that most people wore shoes most of the time (duh). Not like I'm living in a cave.
    2) I haven't had many reasons to, except as noted below.
    3) Not that I'm aware of.
    4) When shoes are needed, I'll wear 'em. Yes, that was the case with softball.
    5) Everywhere, except stores, restaurants, and so on (silly anti-litigation policies, or so they say), or if it's really cold, or something. These days I'd rather just wear the flip-flops than make a stink about it, although occasionally I like to go into a "forbidden" area (Borders, for example) and see how long I can get away with it :D

It's funny how people see us barefoot on TV and ascribe that to religious reasons, or health reasons, or something. Well, I'm sure there are health reasons and so forth, but that's not why I'm barefoot! If wearing shoes was more comfortable and didn't result in a disconnection with feeling where I'm going and a loss of perception (amazing how often people stub there toes . . . I never do that) and all that, admittedly I'd probably be wearing 'em!
  • edited December 1969
    Now I dont feel so guilty about wearing shoes (or sandals as i have now since I'm at the library-but was Bf all morning outside in the rain and at karate). When I think somebody's Bf 24 & 7 (and they're out there), I feel like i'm not pulling my share of the load, not doing my part...

I've actually heard conflicting reports on Borders-I'll be trying them next year-generally I try places where there's no 'greeter type' at the door. Once I'm in, I'm golden-I'll fill up a basket like I'm buying alot, so they're less likely to kick me out-everytime I've been warned or confronted anywhere, it's been after I've checked out...my best Bf places are safeway (one local one at least, whose manager told me no shoes, no problem, and posted this as well), blockbuster, any fast food place (minimum wage slaves dont need or want the hassle)...but then I wear long pants mostly and it's a little harder to tell i'm BF than in shorts
  • edited December 1969
    Some thoughts on why we go barefoot, or should:

1. It's fun-kids are all about pleasure, thats why they go barefoot-why cant I have fun too?

2. It feels good-ancient therapies such as reflexology prove that the foot is one of the main nerve centers, adn prssure on it affects the brain positively. It's nice to feel the push of the earth, the textures, the sensations.

3. It's healthy. you won't get hookwrm unless you live in Calcutta or some place with open sewage. Watch where you walk & you won't step in anything. Free feet dont smell, it's shoes and the bacteria growing within that breed fungus.

4. It raises awaresnesss-as I said above, when you're Bf, you become more aware of whats around you, where you are and where you're going. You become an active participant in your life instead of just cruising thru it unaware.

5. It's a conversation starter. It shakes people up. Then they open dialogues with you and you can share alot of information.

6. It keeps Nike from getting any of your paycheck, and that money can be donated to kyle's website.

7. It's brings attention to your feet, one of the hardest working, most under appreciated body parts. They're not ugly, they're not offensive, and they're not immoral. They deserve to be allowed out now and then to smile at the world.

[Edit: Had to make your numbers sequential . . . :) -Luke]
  • edited December 1969
    1. Your feet get dirty
    -Wash them

2. You can catch hookworm
    -If you step in human feces-i dont make a habit of this

3. Feet are ugly
    -Dont look down

4. It's illegal
    -In Singapore, maybe...

5. You might step on glass
    -Watch where you walk

6. Buying shoes helps support the economy.
    -Whose economy, Singapore's?

7. Only poor people go barefoot
    -well, I'm not rich, baby...

8. Only perverts go barefoot
    -Lots of perverts wear shoes, too...

9. You can't run fast in bare feet.
    -Who am I running from, exactly?

and so on...
  • edited December 1969
    So I'm a little confused on the whole barefoot idea. I liked the reasons for going barefoot outside, but my fear is that I will step on glass and my eyes aren't that strong enough to see the glass as to avoid it.

Now what is considered a barefooted person. See I never walk around my house with shoes because it's Hawaii and if you walk around with shoes in your house you must be crazy. (It's some odd thing from the Asians, fyi: I find myself quite able to say this finding myself half asian) However, I still rarely ever exit my house with toe covered shoes unless I'm planning to hike, or the occasion calls for it. Yet, I always wear slippers (flipflops as it is referred to in the mainland). Am I considered a barefooter? If I am a barefooter that would make 50 percent of the island also barefooters.

hmmm.... but I still appreciate my slippers outside because I am quite clumsy and it isn't worth my day to stop assorted poo, gum, or glass. Is going out in slippers still considered shoeless? :shock: :roll:
  • edited December 1969
    Theres ususally discussions on the society for barefoot living website about whats considered shoeless or not...my reasoning is this: try going outside in short shorts, and people will still think you have pants on-now go out without any pants at all, and see what the reaction is-barefoot & shoeless is just that-anyhting else is shod, or at least socked...
    -I HATE flip flops with a passion. I wear sandals, even now in the cold old NW, and yestersay i was barefoot, sunny and cool, near 60, and of course a fellow said 'forget your shoes? haha.'
  • edited December 1969
    What exactly are the difference between flipflops and sandals anyway? I can never get the exact definition of this footwear. Personally, I love the slipper term, however as I found out slippers are the fuzzy things we go to bed with. I refer to those as my fuzzy slippers. Anyway, are flipflops just considered those rubber ones you wear at the pool? Are my footwear still considered flipflops??
    rox_lapaz_wht.jpg
    These are my footwear of choice

Also, according to the website they are sandals, but I will still call them my slippers.
  • edited December 1969
    To me, those are flip flops-anything that fits between your toes, and smacks the ground when you walk...sandals to me have an ankle strap type set up, and slippers fully enclose the foot or at least the toes...

I quit wearing slippers when i found it was confusing my dog- whenever I asked him to fetch my slippers, he got this quizzical look on his face...
  • edited December 1969
    :D lol :D
    Well, what is your dog used to fetching?
  • edited December 1969
    I dont find my dog fetching at all-animals aren't attractive to me...
  • edited December 1969
    I am not a barefooter, like the Abbots on the show are, but I cannot stand to wear shoes all the time! I never wear shoes in the house, and my kids love to be barefoot, also. Drives my mom bonkers, she is always buying them houseshoes! I don't understand the hang up some people have regarding shoes.

I have always heard that babies should not wear shoes anyway, they learn to walk better barefoot. Nothing cuter than baby feet, either, is there! I never enforced a shoe rule with the kids, they can be shoeless when they want to be. That too drove my mom crazy. She was always like, put shoes on the kids. I say, why? Is there some harm in letting a kid be barefoot, uh, no.

regarding stores barefoot policy(no shoes, no shirt, no service), your litigation in this area intrigues me, Buddy! I would love to check out the website you referred to in your post, or learn more about the laws, etc regarding these store policies. I always assumed stores required shoes to keep foot injury lawsuits down.
  • edited December 1969
    Yes, barefootedness improves balance, for people of all ages. There was an article in Science News last year. Researchers developed a device that sends subliminal vibrations to nerves on the bottoms of feet (through their shoes). This helps people, especially the elderly, keep their balance. Of course, I'd imagine barefeeted (?) people get the same benefits from feeling the ground their walking on. And if you add T'ai Chi to the mix . . .

I don't think store policies have anything to do with health or law, though that's what they always say. My dad, brother, and I have been going to hardware stores for over ten years. Nails. Saws. Hammers. Sharp stuff. Heavy stuff. Never asked to leave, never a problem. But try going into a restaurant, or bookstore, or even a comic-book store . . .
  • edited December 1969
    Bookstores especially amuse me with anti BF laws-why not gloves? i'm much more likely to get a paper cut than one on my foot
    anyway, I have a victory to report in this area: Walmart contacted me this week, and said bare feet are OK. They'd tried to say the 'Dept of Ag' had a law against it (that was a new one to me)-I contacted the Dept of Ag-no such law, of course-then contacted Walmart HQ again, and few days later, the manager of the brand spanking newly remodeled Walmart calls and says (though he didnt sound too enthused about it) that bare feet were ok...dying to get in there and test this out but been too busy and cold lately...
    so thats a safeway and a walmart I've convinced-baby steps are fine, long as they're made in bare feet...
  • edited December 1969
    Is that all Wal-marts or just your Wal-mart?

I'm tempted to try
  • edited December 1969
    The way the store manager reported it, as related to him by Walmart corporate HQ, was 'there is no law against bare feet in any store.' and Fred Meyers got hold of me today and made it claer that bare feet are ok in ALL thier stores, if anyone else here is near one-they're mostly out west and in Alaska. Owned by Kroger, which is based back East, so someone in that area of the country might check it out with them...

so now my barefoot day can include safeway, fred meyers, walamrt, bloackbuster, and of course the post office and karate class-thats pretty much everywhere I might go in the course of a day-come nicer weather, goodbye shoes! (except for work, damn work-and even then i could slip them off until the kids get up...)
  • edited December 1969
    Well, high 40's the other day, so after karate i went BF to fred meyers-had dropped my 230 pound partner on my foot 3 times (I'm a slow learner) so it was badly bruised and even the sandals hurt it, so barefooting seemed like a good idea.
    Got a lot of looks and a few whispered comments (that guys barefoot mumble mumble), but no problems (had the letter from the head office in my pocket just in case)-and I spent $40 that they wouldn't have otherwise got if they demanded shoes...
  • edited December 1969
    Kyle, curious about the posting on your blog about shoes being required for the sword class-what kind of shoes are there that would stop a sword from slicing thru your foot? seems rather silly to me.
  • edited December 1969
    I'm not sure. It's meant probably so nobody will step on it? I'm not sure. He taught us a leg sweep to dodge the blows. They also have a safety record they like to keep sparkly clean if you know what I mean. For the stuff we're learning, shoes aren't a big deal for just an hour or two.
  • edited December 1969
    Well, keep us posted on the progress of the class-I'm of course very interested in any martial arts experience, especially swords, as the boy and I will eventually start weapons training and it'd be nice to have a preview and perspective on it.
    Shoes just dont work in my dojo, the carpet is too grabby, if you know what I mean. Socks work best, but they get too hot.
    The carpet at the other dojo we use for tests, hoewever, is like walking on butter-soooo soft...
    some dojos have hard wood floors-ouch. I spent 1/2 hour being thrown down t'other day in a lesson (it was a girl's birthday, so that was her gift), and thats not an experience I'd ever like to try on any uncarpeted floor...
  • edited December 1969
    From the Society of Barefoot Living website here's an excellent article from the Birmingham News about barefooting-a school that still allows it and all about the physician who founded it. Unfortunate they only allow it up to 4th grade. I've found several private schools that have no problem with bare feet-for the money you pay, they'd better not! But obviously they're more interested in their student's brains than feet.
    Here's the link or whatever you call it-if this doesnt work, I have a longer one you can try.
    http://tinyurl.com/3t2qp
  • edited December 1969
    Halle Barry will be wearing a million dollar pair of shoes (diamond encrusted) to the Oscars-what a waste-think how that money might have been spent otherwise, for so much more greater good. Wasnt that long ago she was getting press for going barefoot to church with her (now ex) husband...Reminds me of the Paul Simon song 'She's got diamonds on the soles of her shoes' (thats why she's got the walking blues...)
  • edited December 1969
    nice weather all last week-first real barefooting of the year-went to the po, safeway & karate-and as usual nobody said a word except at karate ("barefoot, huh?" with a smirky look. Yeah, I said "when my kicks hurt more than yours you'll start going barefoot too").
    My record for full time barefooting is 3 days, but I'll break that this year, with numerous more stores and places that've approved bare feet in writing or verbally. Only place I still go regularly with a policy against it is the library, and I'll be battling them soon on this...
  • edited December 1969
    I can't believe that, of all places, the place where you got your smirky look was karate. You mean, everyone else there wears shoes? It's martial arts! You're not supposed to wear shoes! Where are you practicing karate?

I was always able to get away with bare feet at the city library, although I was politely "advised" to put on some shoes once or twice. Of course, for a long time I think I stood out less because I was just a kid, and as that began to wear off I started to be more discreet; walking down the smaller aisles, not lingering in the central 'lobby' area, etc.

Well, I've obviously got you beat in the continuous barefooting department, but then again I kind of got a head start. To be fair, I'm sure you've got me beat in the non-barefoot catagory. My record for full-time shoe-wearing is probably about a day, maybe two if you don't count sleeping time...
  • edited December 1969
    Yeah, I wish i'd started barefooting at a younger age (i was late teens when I did)-maybe I'd be more self confidant, in all areas.
    The folks at karate (actaully shoalin kempo-a mix of karate, kung fu & jui jitsu and some other-kinda the 'mutt' of martial arts) are weird-about half to 3/4 are bf at any time-the teacher usually is, though he hasa pair of wrestling /MA shoes he also wears (which he claims don't grip the carpet, but I'm wary of trying any). Had one of our tests outside once becuase of the size of the crowd-and wore sandals-that was like wearing concrete blocks...
    I usually drive to class bf, and sit in the parking lot, chat with friends, pick up trash, before class starts-and always somebody will mention my feet.
    Saw a beginners kids class today-12 kids-only one in bare feet. Hope that changes as they realize the benefits of no socks in there (less slippery-can see if your're holding your foot right for kicks, feet get tougher faster without padding around them, etc). If and when i open my own studio, it'll be bare feet only.
    As for the library, they always have rent a cops trolling around-I'd love them to make me (2 time volunteer of the month there) leave for bare feet, when they let street bums sleep and snore and harass patrons, and wear shoes they havent taken off since 1984-yuck!-but so far i've abided by their rule-At least it IS posted at least, in small print in the lobby, along with the rest of the rules-I do go barefoot in the basement there, where I do most of my volunteer work-nobody says a thing except 'you look comfortable'.
    as for continuos barefooting, did you catch the story about the Norwegian barefooter who's gone w/out shoes for 15 years? Started as a bet with his brother-got international press.
  • edited December 1969
    I'd be thrilled if the students at my school only had their bare feet hanging out. I'm seeing too much skin in places I have no business seeing! Sometimes the girls will kick off their sandals in the library...me too. We've got a few more months before sandal season. We are under a winter storm watch, and last week we didn't have heat one day...brrr.

Our Great Lakes have a lot of rocks (especially Lake Superior), so wading out and in after a swim is hard on the feet! When I was a kid I got a jagged stone imbedded in the sole of my heel. I had to have it removed, that was awful.

You can come and volunteer in my library anytime Buddy! Are you clipping obits in your library? I'm into genealogy so I know how important obits are. In fact, a branch of my Grandfather's family contacted my Mom after my Grandma's obit was in the paper. We were given pictures we never knew existed. My Grandpa has bare feet in the pictures!
  • edited December 1969
    Well, if Halle B wore those million dollar shoes, nobody asked to look at them, because you couldnt see them under her long dress-the oscars: 3 hours of my life I'll never get back...
    I love obits-I'm about 10 years behind in putting them into scrapbooks-have 50 done, have 3 boxes full of clipped ones ready to post-really, one of those hobbies that got out of hand,,,
    yeah, that was one of my arguments with safeway-they'd ban bare feet, but allow people in with stomachs and other parts all hanging out, pierced, tattoed, etc...I won that battle-havent taken anyone on yet this year...
  • edited December 1969
    at the TaeKwonDo school I go to, there is a sign that says "NO SHOES beyond this point". almost everyone goes barefoot, a few wear sock and one wears TKD shoes.

When I was a kid, up until about 16 and I needed money adn got a summer time job, the shoes came off after school let out for the summer and didn't come on until it started up in the fall. I played golf barefoot at the public course. I did carry flops with me if I came to a place that wouldn't let me in barefoot, but they were few and far between. My high school friends thought I was a leftover 60's hippy and just went with it.

Now, I just turned 48 yesterday, I still barefoot around town and they come off as soon as I get in the car at work. A mexican food place I go to doesn't mind .. prolly cuz I eat there 3-4 times a week, but I do hafta wear sandals at the gym I go to .. they're afraid I'll step on something.

errrr, sorry I've rambled on longer than I should.

To me, going barefoot is just a normal state of affairs.

peace,
    bob
  • edited December 1969
    It IS normal, and it gets tiring having to explain or defend it...the same old arguments, the same old mistaken information, the same old smoke screens, and all i want to do is go about my business...stay BF Bob and belated birthday wishes.
  • edited December 1969
    Couple of performers starting to get noticed internationally:
    Xavier Rudd, an Aussie who says he only wears shoes when he snowboards (wuss!)-he plays traditional music as well as popular covers.
    Joss Stone, a 17 yo Brit getting lots of exposure last couple years for her soul singing-she was just on the Grammys, barefoot of course, as she seems to be at every performance...
    if some true barefooter could just break thru to the big big time (Britney Spears doesnt count) it'd be great for our cause, IF they stayed barefoot after reaching those great heights, that is...