The Core of Spirituality

Balance is a subject dear to me. Physical balance is a good indicator of how present I am awareness-wise. For example, when my attention strays from the moment while doing Tai Chi or certain high balance demanding yoga postures, down I go.

I've found that doing balance-intensive daily exercises over many years has taught me to be much more present overall. Although, having no double blind control, I can’t verify this to be so. 'However, 'use it or lose it' seems to hold true at many levels as does 'use it to improve it'. Anyway, so what. I will just see this cup as being half full.

Mind you, balance training need not be a formal discipline such as Tai Chi or yoga. Balancing on one leg as you dry yourself after a bath, balancing on one foot while brushing your teeth and any other mundane balance work practiced daily can also get the job done.

In the end, balance in the broadest sense, and being present in the moment [chref=1]are the same[/chref]. This view has a certain symmetry to it as well. For example, there is the past, there is the future, and right in the middle we experience an eternal present moment. The present moment then is the fulcrum upon which we attempt to balance the past and future. Moreover, just to keep it interesting, that fulcrum keeps moving, flowing as it does from 'now' to 'now'. Personally, my sense of well being is highest when I am balanced – physically and otherwise. [chref=65]Only then is complete conformity realized[/chref].

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Cricket said this in his profile: “… To me, the core of spirituality is that of understanding personal responsibility for one's actions...”

I like where that idea points Cricket. Instead of “personal responsibility”, I’d say “personal understanding”. Knowing how my relationship to that ‘out there’ is a reflection of ‘in here’. “Personal responsibility” implies free will which implies that ‘I am’ controls.
  • edited December 1969
    Thanks for the expanded view, Carl. That certainly feels like a more complete view to me. Reminds me of how initial insights are attained, only to be broadened to involve a greater understanding yet, and so on. The gradual laying aside of my invidual illusions feels like the maturation of the agave tree.
  • edited December 1969
    Hi Cricket,

Welcome Cricket! I don't write often but I read most postings. It sure is nice to have you here. I appreciate what you write. Thanks!

Leslie