TS: The real facts on brainwashing

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
if this family didnt have a sense of humor, i wouldnt have stuck around this long...that's one essential for any extended communication with me.
I read several comments along the line of this on those forums: "I dont have time to go on their website' etc...they're judging based on their own limited preconceptions. Why they're so proud to wave their ignorance flag so high, i know not...

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Well, I don't know what other people think (actually I do but I won't get into that) but as far as brainwashing goes, I stick mine in the Whirlpool washing machine and give it a quick rinse cycle for 15 minutes using Ultra Clorox 2. Restores colors and gives it just that fresh brain feel with fresh mountain scent! Put it back in the head while it's still moist. :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    Important to let it drip dry...dryers make it all frizzy.
  • edited December 1969
    I tell you, a frizzy brain can ruin anybody's day! It's embarassing! :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    plenty of frizzy brain people on those TS forums...such as the one who said you should wear shoes because you have big toes(!)...but, dont give them more reason to gripe: we really LOVE frizzy brain people, folks!
  • edited December 1969
    Yayvarely! (meaning absolutly [a bit of an inside joke]) Frizzy brained people are great and wonderful! We enjoy them! It makes us feel better about the way our brains look/are! :-)
  • edited December 1969
    Frizzy haired people are almost as great as Kyle! almost...
  • edited December 1969
    Oh . . . You make me blush! :oops: :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    Kyle, I can't help but smile when reading your posts. Those misguided folks on the AOL and Fox boards keep referring to you as "that poor child" and saying you have no emotions, don't know how to laugh, and look very depressed and/or robotic. If only they would check out your website and this board, so they could see what a great sense of humor you have, and how (in my opinion at least) you are wise beyond your years.

Of course these are the same people that called me a "physco" this morning (although I know she meant psycho, it still makes me laugh), and now this evening three people are accusing me of being YOUR MOM, pretending to be someone else! I've linked them to my website to show them I am indeed not an Abbott :roll: yet they keep calling me Leslie anyway and snickering at my posts. I simply commented on the fact that I shared my bedroom with my kids for their first years of life - so clearly I must be "an Abbott" in disguise. It's a conspiracy! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Susan
  • edited December 1969
    Oh, well thank you.

If those nitwitted ninepins tell you that you're my mom, tell 'em I said you aren't. I'm pretty sure that won't change their minds though.

If they persist, mention that we aren't allowed to go to the message boards and therfor it's impossible that you're an Abbott.
  • edited December 1969
    Hi Kyle. I post on the Fox boards sometimes, not everyone there is nasty but there are some. But that is true of most places.

I was just curious ... why are you guys not allowed to post there? Is that true for all families? That does not seem right, after your show has already aired.

Susan:

I believe in attachment parenting, so I am assuming that is similar (sp). At first, I was a little thrown by the family bedroom thing, but the more I thought about it the more I realized its fine. In the summers my family and I (when I was a kid) all slept in the living room with our mattresses. I used to sleep in my brothers room (they shared one) alot as a kid and teen bc we liked talking at night time about stuff. So really, I think it is more common than people think.
  • edited December 1969
    I agree with you. I wrote a short book on cosleeping a few years ago, and even since then I find more and more people who at least keep their babies in bed with them the first months, or the first year. My kids are restless sleepers, so we changed things up around a year or so with each of them. Of course now, although they DID sleep in their rooms for a while, they prefer to camp out on the sofas at night. My husband "had a problem" with that for the longest time, but I think he's kind of realizing now that it's not about what OTHER people think is normal/right, but rather what works for OUR family. We TRULY enjoy all sleeping in one room when we go on vacation, on a cruise, stay with the inlaws, etc - and I will enjoy it just as much when my kids are teenagers. I don't know if WE personally would want to do it every night, but I definitely see how that would be a good arrangement for other families.

I think, in an odd way, seeing the Abbotts on Trading Spouses and the "rock n roll" family on last week's Wife Swap kind of opened my husband's eyes a bit to two things. First, there are other families out there who are REALLY similar to ours, and they seem to have done a GREAT job raising their kids. Second, I think he TRULY realized for the first time that WE are the "freaks" in our community. We're the only people with mom at home, kids being homeschooled, we're not Christian, and we just don't share much at ALL in common with anyone around us. It's painfully apparent to ME, as I'm the one getting looks when I go to get my mail, I'm the one having to tell my son he can't play with the little boy next door who's the same age (because his parents think we're weird and doesn't want our kids playing together), I'm the one who gets wind of the occassional "rumor" of what our kooky family is up to (and yes, it's always WRONG).

I'm not trying to come off sounding like a whiner here - these are just the facts. I know we don't "fit in", and having witnessed "normal" I really want no part at all of it :shock: Since I'm a bit alone down here in Southern Louisiana, in my own little protective bubble, lol, it's SO heartwarming to see that there ARE people a little bit like me out there, and they're doing great with their kids and their families. Fitting in has never been a priority of mine - but knowing I'm not TOTALLY alone in the world is a nice thing. And I thank the Abbotts for their part in showing me that I am NOT alone.

Susan
  • edited December 1969
    Everybody here knows I'm really Leslie Abbott-not Susan
    -I'm also Carl and Luke-in fact, the Abbotts dont exist at all. I made it all up and you all fell for it-bwahaha! (evil laugh)
    Except Kyle, he's real-dont know how that happened...
  • edited December 1969
    Buddy, I wish you had an AOL account so you could set these ladies straight! I've now got three people emailing me saying they KNOW and HAVE PROOF that I am indeed Leslie Abbott, and shame on me for posting on the boards pretending to be someone else. What a hoot! Now that I know YOU are in fact the entire Abbott family (minus Kyle) I can finally sleep tonight, with the knowledge that I am NOT actually Leslie Abbott.

It IS interesting that people can be SO ignorant of other viewpoints that they honestly seem to think ONLY the Abbotts themselves would agree with their lifestyle. If I defend them, then surely I must be ONE of them, because no other person in the WORLD could possibly support their way of doing things! What a sad state of affairs in this country.

To all the Abbotts - I love you guys, and while these AOL people are clearly nuts, I take it as a compliment that they think I must be one of you in disguise. Heck, they even said they can "tell from my writing style" that I actually WROTE YOUR WEBSITE! So I guess I must be Luke in disguise as well! Again, I take it as a compliment.

Have a great day, everyone!

Susan Gilleland (or is it...... ABBOTT???)
  • edited December 1969
    I'm really Susan Gilleland, too.
  • edited December 1969
    Okay, now that you've finally admitted this fact, would you come feed my (your?) kids and do some math and science with them? Since I'm not really Susan, I think I'll just go to the mall or something. :P

Susan
  • edited December 1969
    I thought everone in New Orleans just got drunk all the time and had parades?
  • edited December 1969
    Oh man, you're RIGHT. What was I THINKING! Let me go stick my kids in the closet so I can down some Southern Comfort, drive to the French Quarter, and flash someone for beads!

Susan
  • edited December 1969
    Thats more like it! Dont burst my bubble with the fact that life is the same everywhere-I KNOW everyone has a more exciting life than me!
    As for kids, i find chaining them to the couch works best-closet locks can be picked rather easily...
  • edited December 1969
    Susan, Buddy ..... the past few days there has been this crazy thread on the fox boards and I think that everyone has flipped. There are some nice people there, but man ... some people need a grip on reality.
    I am not used to posting on message boards aside from two particular ones with spiritual purpose, so what a shock I recieved when I am constantly attacked on the fox boards for saying general things. I could understand if someone disagreed with an opinion I have, etc ... but sometimes I am just saying simple things with no bias. It is crazy.
  • edited December 1969
    Hey people! I think we're getting off topic (though I'm one to talk :wink: ). Let me get us back on track! :)

What's your favorite brain detergent?
  • edited December 1969
    I soaked my brain in beer for years...seems to have come out fine...I only shake a little now & then
  • edited December 1969
    You know, if you use Vodka instead of beer, there is no detectable smell.
  • edited December 1969
    and you know this how?
  • edited December 1969
    Uhh . . . :wink: I heard about it.
  • edited December 1969
    I liked vodka and hawaiin punch-called 'jungle juice'...but basically I was a beer guy-if anybody tells you beer isnt addictive, they're lying...never drink, kids-it seriously affected my muscial career. in fact due to drinking, i never started a musical career...
  • edited December 1969
    I've heard (never attempted of course) that a small quantity of wine can help in flute playing (especially Shakuhachi 'cause that really requires a lot of lip coordination). If you drink a little bit of wine, it can loosen the lips which makes it easier to play. But the downside is alcohol does loosen lips in more ways than one so you shouldn't be a flute player with a secret. :wink:

If your lips are too loose, drinking coffee before playing can tighten your lips.

Sometimes when I play, my throat is dry so I use Karo corn syrup to add a throat coat to my throat.
  • edited December 1969
    hmmm... I'm somewhat tempted to try :wink: