telepathy?

edited January 2008 in The CenterTao Lounge
My word, :roll: this reply is so long. But, as long as no one print it out, no forest products will be wasted.

[quote][cite] riverwolf:[/cite]Oh, goodness and kindness definitely help. I have been so pigheaded with my life I did not deserve to live this long had it not been for the various kindness and goodwill of people I have met. [/quote]
It is good to know at least the site isn’t making things worse. I sometimes wonder. Anyway, I do wish you well; let me know if I can help.

[quote]The difficulty is if i want to help a person at a given point in time, how do i go about doing it that would be best for the person? If i think: this person needs emotional help, so i should give him a pat on the back, then there is some long learnt knowledge acting in our mind that emotional help equals a pat on the back. [/quote]
Much of this ‘automatic’ kind of behavior may be a result of the loss of social intimacy we incurred as we went from small scale stone age tribal life to civilization. We are all strangers relative to that experience. Even county villagers are like strangers compared to the ‘long house’ Dyak people of Borneo for example.

Now this is not to say primitive stone age tribal people weren’t also nuts. Ever since an awareness of language overtook consciousness we’ve been a bit disconnected from [chref=25]that which is naturally so [/chref].

As you'd expect in true Taoist fashion, our greatest ability and our deepest flaw [chref=2]complement each other[/chref]. So, dose this mean that, as you put it, "the way that can be followed is not the constant way"? That has a nice ring to it, but I wonder? Chapter one seems to focus especially on the downfall of language, i.e.,
[i][list]'way can say (talk, speak; think) not ordinary (common, normal, constant;) way' (道可道,非常道)
'name can name (describe, express, note) not ordinary (common, normal, constant;) way' 名可名,非常名) [/list][/i]
[quote]Hitler suffered from this problem. It is perfectly understandable and acceptable that Hitler got angry. If I were a regular German male, looking at the sorry state of Germany afte WW1 and the unfairness of the peace treaty, I would be angry. Hitler's downfall was caused by a flawed association: I am angry, and it's all the fault of the Jews and so i must go kill them. Why not the fault of the Chinese, or Japanese, or Africans, or women?[/quote]
Also, consider the time-line of an individual borne with Hitler’s geom. (a clone), but raised in a Neolithic tribal circumstances. Circumstances can aggravate insane tendencies and circumstances determine what harm an unstable personality can inflict upon nature. The less sophisticated our tool were, the less harm we inflicted upon our environment; so when monkeys get machine guns watch out.

[quote]During my time as a college student in the US, I was surprised how at a popular level WW2 was condensed into the holocaust and the death of Jews. What about all the soldiers who died on both sides? The civilians of Germany and Japan who suffered towards the end of the war? WW2 was also an important factor in reducing the power of Europe, increasing the power of the US, and a first step in better rights for black people (whom served as soldiers) and better rights for women (employed in war factories)[/quote]
One thing that makes the holocaust stand out is the cold efficient methodology of that genocide. Like a meticulously planned murder compared to a passion driven spur-of-the-moment murder. One captures our imagination as more grotesque than the other.

During my years living abroad, I also found each culture in I which lived to be blinded by its own paradigm… without exception. Yet, each culture is certain of the veracity of its paradigm. It was then I realized we are not as sapient a species as we [chref=71]think[/chref] we are. And as the years go by I’m taken aback by an increasing awareness of my own and other’s ignorance. Perhaps someday I’ll get used to it. I guess I’m continually surprised because I still emotionally expect to see ourselves more in line with who we think we are. It is weird really.

[quote]I don't know if it has been mentioned on the site, but personally I am practicing and advocating birth control. If you want to raise a child, perhaps consider raising an orphan. It seems to me that human population is exploding out of control and is out of sync with living in harmony with our environment. Due to our ingenuity we have climbed to the top of the food chain, so our population does not get checked by lions, tigers and snakes anymore. That means we have to consciously slow down our own reproduction rate, or let war thin down our numbers for us.[/quote]

[chref=48]In the pursuit of the way, one does less every day[/chref] comes to mind. Being much more clever that wise I fail to see how anything we do, or cease doing, will change things in the long term. History is ripe with humanity’s attempts to “live in harmony” as you put it. Yet each solution spawns another problem. Isn’t this always the case when we [chref=16]willfully innovate while ignorant of the constant[/chref]. Yet, each generation comes along with renewed hope of saving the day, yet ends up [chref=57]being as meddlesome[/chref] as the previous generation. And, to top it all off, each lacks the perspective to contemporaneously realize that ‘history is repeating itself’.

The young are born clever and eager to innovate. Only through the experience of stumbling through life do we acquire some ability [chref=55]to know the constant[/chref] (wisdom)… then we die. The ongoing myth is that we can education the young and pass on the wisdom the old acquire, However, any straightforward review of human history shows that a false hope. We only truly know that which we experience; all the [chref=81]wide learning[/chref] in the world notwithstanding.

Conditions are improving. We haven’t nuked Iran for example. But, I’m thinking that is probably because the nation is composed of a population whose average age is 35 plus now. There is more wisdom across the population than there was in Roman times when the average age was 15 or so. Teenagers you know. Still, Hitler did his thing in modern times so I’m not sure how great the effects of average age are yet. When the human population’s average age tops 100 perhaps we will see some measurable difference. Hey, am I hopeful or what?

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Was wondering if anyone had any experiences or thoughts on telepathy. While this isn't quite it, my girlfriend and I often play this "game," more of a collaborative connection, in which we both relax, heighten our awareness, and one of us concentrates on a number between 1-100. The goal is to "guess" or find the number on the first try. Out of numerous attempts, I have been able to answer correctly about 75% on the first try.

Perhaps it isn't so much telepathy, but more so that I am attempting to align my mind to her train of thought.

Any thoughts?
  • edited December 1969
    I had some kind of communication with my mother. I lived in California and she lived in New York. When I wanted her to call, I would just think of her and the phone would ring. (I don't remember why I didn't just call her....too poor?) Or if something horrible happened (like breaking up with a boyfriend, the worst thing that ever happened to me back then) the phone would ring and she would say: "What's wrong?"
    It was amazing.

My only thoughts about how this works is that we are all connected. It is an illusion that we are separate. At the subatomic level, everything including us is mostly space with matter popping in and out. It's a very strange universe. Our limited perceptions make it seem solid, but it's not.
  • edited December 1969
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing Lynn.