Chapter of the Week: #44

Hi Johnny, and welcome,
[cite] johnny.peralta:[/cite]What does the daily life of a taoist consist of?
Ritual or activity for Taoist
Oh, just the mundane things of life everyone does. For some particulars you can go to our family’s blog.

Beyond that I’d say that 1 AM through 12 PM pretty amounts to :?:

Now, I’m not trying to be cute. As I see it, the following describes the situation we all find ourselves in to one degree or another. Perhaps a 'taoist' is someone who accepts this state of affairs as part of the [chref=1]mystery upon mystery[/chref] of life. And perhaps a 'pre-taoist' is someone who doesn't yet.

[chref=15]Of old he who was well versed in the way
Was minutely subtle, mysteriously comprehending,
And too profound to be known.
It is because he could not be known
That he can only be given a makeshift description:
Tentative, as if fording a river in winter,
Hesitant, as if in fear of his neighbors;
Formal like a guest;
Falling apart like thawing ice;
Thick like the uncarved block;
Vacant like a valley;
Murky like muddy water. [/chref]

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 44
    Your name or your person,
    Which is dearer?
    Your person or your goods,
    Which is worth more?
    That is why excessive meanness
    Is sure to lead to great expense;
    Too much store
    Is sure to end in immense loss.
    Know when to stop
    And you will meet with no danger.
    You can then endure.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.

Not surprisingly, the literal translation of this chapter evokes some other angles. In particular, I feel more of that ‘you can’t win’ aspect of life from the first five lines. That realization may be one cornerstone of [chref=51]maturity[/chref]. The closer I approach maturity, the more [chref=10]capable of keeping to the role of the female[/chref] I become. Knowing that whatever I value most is the source of my deepest sorrow brings deep meaning to Jesus’s, “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” [chref=64]Therefore the sage desires not to desire[/chref]. Oh, it just occured to me: I don’t need to be a sage to desire not to desire; I am a sage when I desire not to desire. Oh boy, that’s great! Well, not so fast there sonny. Consider this: [chref=19]Exterminate the sage, discard the wise, And the people will benefit a hundredfold[/chref]. :shock:

The Literal As I Can Make It
    Name and body, which is more intimate.
    Body and goods, which is excessive.
    Necessity and death, which is defective.
    Therefore, the more we love, the greater the cost.
    The more we hold on, the deeper the loss.
    Know contentment and suffer no disgrace.
    Know when to stop and meet no danger.
    Then you can long prevail.

The Literal
    name and body, which relative (parent, close, intimate, dear),
    body and goods, which more (many, excessive).
    get (satisfied, need to) and flee (lose, die) which ill (sick, falt, defect).
    corretly therefore very (extremely, more than) love (treasure) must big cost (wasteful).
    much store must deep lose (flee, die, perish, )
    know (be aware of, realize) contentment no disgrace.
    know (be aware of, realize) stop (to, till, only) no danger.
    can older (grow, develop) long time.
  • edited December 1969
    Title or body, which is dearer?
    Body or goods, which is more abundant?
    Gain or loss, which is more sickening?
    Hence, excessive love brings big expenses, plentiful hoarding brings abundant demise.
    By knowing what is adequate, one does not insult.
    By knowing when to stop, one does not approach danger.
    These can make one last for a long time.