Being in the Moment: Colonoscopy Style

As I was soaking my weary bones in the hot bath I got to thinking about the Japanese traditional public bath house (sentō). There were two sections, male and female, but you could often see glimpse of each section at the entrance where you pay. The reason I bring this up is that a common preconception of the Japanese is that they are an inscrutable and private people. Yes, they abide pretty closely to a cultural etiquette, but underneath that I found them somewhat more open and accessible in personal ways than my fellow Americans, etc. They don’t seem to fit the Western preconception of what the Japanese are like. I met many foreigners while in Japan who, trapped in long held preconceptions, could not see the Japanese as they are. (This phenomenon, preconception versus reality, can be said about all ethnic groups of course.)

Then I got to thinking about how I view ‘mountain music’ as a form of ‘taoist music’. Although, one would hardly imagine a connection between those two, I suppose. Mountain music is a rural Western hillbilly-peasant tradition and Taoism is a rather esoteric Eastern mystical tradition. On the other hand, Shakuhachi (in the ‘blowing Zen’ tradition) probably comes across as very Taoist (i.e., Buddhism + Taoism = Zen). Actually having done (doing) both, I see them as essentially the same. They just emphasis different angles - team 'work' versus solo 'work'.

Whether we see sameness or difference often hinges on our preconceptions, which in turn arise from need and fear. Preconceptions imprison perception when they lead us to [chref=71]think that we know[/chref]. Which view, sameness or difference, is most connected with need and fear I wonder? For a Taoist point of view differences obviously. Consider these passages for example:

[chref=56]One who knows does not speak; one who speaks does not know.
Block the openings; Shut the doors. Blunt the sharpness; Untangle the knots;
Soften the glare; Let your wheels move only along old ruts.
This is known as mysterious sameness. [/chref]

[chref=10]When your discernment penetrates the four quarters
Are you capable of not knowing anything? [/chref]

[chref=20] Between yea and nay
How much difference is there?[/chref]

[chref=2]The whole world recognizes the beautiful as the beautiful, yet this is only
the ugly; the whole world recognizes the good as the good, yet this is only the bad.[/chref]

Finally, to paraphrase chapter two, [chref=2]Thus sameness and difference produce each other[/chref]. That is the picture of [chref=16]impartiality[/chref], the holy grail of Taoist perception. Of the two, sameness and difference, I find we (and all other life forms) are difference biased. Nature uses fear, need and the perception of differences help living things survive. Life is not impartial. Living things discern what they like or love, and what they dislike or hate (need and fear) and go about their daily business accordingly.

Humanity's difficulty arises from how our thinking mind takes this natural bias and exaggerates it. This overloads us with the heavy baggage of preconception to drag around throughout life. I see Taoist thought as a way of [chref=40]turning back[/chref] to a more primal state of being where preconceptions cease to hold us captive.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    As I was laying on the doctors table awaiting my ‘it is about time’ colonoscopy, I noticed how being in the moment was a lot more desirable when I wasn’t in the moment. Furthermore, it was marginally desirable when I was marginally in the moment, and not at all desirable when I was in the moment. That tells me something interesting and inevitable about the true nature of being in the moment. Being ‘away’ from the moment, and ‘in’ the moment are complimentary. [chref=2] Thus ‘Away’ and ‘In’ produce each other[/chref]. Nuts! I just can’t win. But that’s alright as long as I don’t want to have my cake and eat it too. :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    I think I understand your point...how not being in the moment (your mind is running away with you) returns you to being in the moment but the moment is not enjoyable and so you go back to running away. Is that what you mean?

An aside: how would being in the moment then have been if you had no thoughts about it? If you weren't judging each moment? If you could have suspended conceptual thinking?

In my experience, being in the moment is helpful in getting through difficult emotional experiences but I've wondered how being in the moment would be if I were being tortured, and I think you've answered that question. Eventually, however, in that situation your mind/body would create some kind of uncontrollable coping mechanism to block the experience (like passing out).

I haven't had the dreaded colonoscopy yet and hope I do pass out.
  • edited December 1969
    I was 'in the moment' earlier this year. I don't remember much about the moment because I was put under for the duration. I wanted to be awake so I could watch, but the doctor said no it would be best to be "out of it".

for me, sometimes the moment is just within reach but never achievable. I don't worry about the moment becaue the next is just around the corner
  • edited December 1969
    Hi unclebob,
    So they put you under did they? They don't seem to do that here, though they do administer enough meds to make it smooth sailing. When I had my hernia operation a few years ago they asked if I wanted to be awake or out. I said awake and they gave me nitrous oxide. What a party that was! :lol: Alas, the next hernia operation of a few months ago they wouldn't give me that choice, so no party. :(
    [cite] unclebob:[/cite]For me, sometimes the moment is just within reach but never achievable. I don't worry about the moment because the next is just around the corner
    Ah, I suspect that is why we find the moment "just within reach but". We [chref=71]think[/chref] another "is just around the corner". Knowing each moment that I will be dead in the next helps me touch this one here and now more keenly. It is like seeing a sign in the desert saying 'last drink of water for a thousand miles'. That makes the water of this moment all the more quenching.

What? :shock: . I'll be dead in the next moment? As I see it, yes. There is only this moment and later. Later is the next moment, whether that be a 'minute', 'hour', 'year', 'decade'... or a 'millennium'. In the stretch of eternity, [chref=56]sameness[/chref] abounds. Later is the next moment, if not in fact, this moment as well. The only hitch is remembering that picture. When I do, I stay here supping the water now.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]I think I understand your point...how not being in the moment (your mind is running away with you) returns you to being in the moment but the moment is not enjoyable and so you go back to running away. Is that what you mean?
    It is not that the mind is running away really, or that being in the moment is not enjoyable. I guess it all comes back to that simple dynamic, hunger versus satiated, or work versus rest. They are two sides of the same coin, and so require each other. Not being in the moment requires being in the moment; being in the moment requires not being in the moment. This ebb and flow of attention is common to all life I would think, and is part of the 'survival game'. Meaning, if my attention (being in the moment keenly aware) ebbs to much the lion has me for dinners.

'Being in the moment' is part of the culturally paradigm of Zen, Yoga, Buddhism, etc., and takes on an exaggerated status perhaps. All ideals are cultural exaggerations, i.e., 'focal points'. Being in the moment is one of ours ours.
    An aside: how would being in the moment then have been if you had no thoughts about it? If you weren't judging each moment? If you could have suspended conceptual thinking?
    It is not the “judging” that is problematic. It is the emotional drive behind any judgments made. The same goes for thinking in general. The mind is reflective and ‘thinks’. Thoughts are like mist, and go hand in hand with clarity; they [chref=2]harmonize with each other[/chref]. Only when they become certain of themselves do the thoughts become misleading, burdensome and dangerous.
    In my experience, being in the moment is helpful in getting through difficult emotional experiences but I've wondered how being in the moment would be if I were being tortured, and I think you've answered that question. Eventually, however, in that situation your mind/body would create some kind of uncontrollable coping mechanism to block the experience (like passing out).
    Surrender is the only effective approach I’ve found, i.e., [chref=61]The female always gets the better of the male by stillness[/chref].
    I haven't had the dreaded colonoscopy yet and hope I do pass out.
    Actually it is no ordeal at all. I just prefer being more spontaneous. Thus, I have little interest in keeping appointments, doing the day before pre prep and such. If not for wife Leslie I’d do nothing, I expect. That goes to show how being in the moment ‘too much’ can be risky; can’t have our cake and eat it too.
  • edited December 2007
    Not being in the moment requires being in the moment; being in the moment requires not being in the moment.

OK, that's starting to sink in but it'll take a little longer.

Can you answer this question regarding emotions and thinking: Is it possible to experience the energy of pure emotion, without thought, perhaps even without labeling what the emotion is? If emotion is driving thoughts it seems like it is possible; emotions come first and then thought could be suspended. I think I have experienced pure emotion, but only intermittently, between thoughts.

Did I answer my own question?

Interesting: An acquaintance of mine said she can't differentiate between anxiety and excitement. I've noticed the two are very close (I call it nervousness and excitement), only one is labeled negatively, the other positively. (Except for me: I don't like either.)
  • edited December 1969
    One more thing: don't you find that in order to surrender you have to be completely present? See how cyclical everything is?

I guess total surrender for the physical body is passing out.
  • edited December 1969
    for me, the difference between anxiety and excitement is that when I'm anxious my palms sweat and when I'm excited ... gosh this is embarrassing .. I drool. being anxious can take many forms, like being on a tall tower (190ft) on a platform when I'm scared of heights and at the same time I'm excited because of the adrenaline rush facing my fear. another form of anxiousness is speaking in front of large crowds, no excitment here just a dry mouth, pounding heart and sweaty palms.

Not being in the moment requires being in the moment; being in the moment requires not being in the moment.

I know what this is saying but I can't express it other than with this Albert Einstein quote: "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
  • edited December 1969
    Hi Uncle Bob. Been a while?

I know what this is saying but I can't express it other than with this Albert Einstein quote: "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Here's the only clue I have to understanding. The only way you realize you are not in the moment is to be in the moment noticing. It's like: "Hey, look, I've wandered away." If you did not return to the present moment, you would never notice. (Imagine living your life this way.)

The other way around is not coming to me. Let's see. When I'm in the moment how to I get from there to not in the moment? Well, something in the moment reminds me of something else and then I'm off.

Is that it?
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]Is it possible to experience the energy of pure emotion, without thought, perhaps even without labeling what the emotion is?
    rage! fear! lust! etc, in their extreme ( :!: ) is virtually thought-less. At these time primordial biology is fully engaged... all systems are go, go, go.

The opposite is our ideal of 'stillness and eternal peace'. Just as life holds the capacity for 'go go go', death holds the capacity for 'stillness and eternal peace'. Being alive, the former comes with the territory to one extent or another depending on the person. We have to await our death to reach the later. But, we can approach 'stillness and peace', depending on circumstances, mindset, desire (or the lack), what we truly want out of life, and so on.
    If emotion is driving thoughts it seems like it is possible; emotions come first and then thought could be suspended. I think I have experienced pure emotion, but only intermittently, between thoughts.
    Perhaps the lack of emotion is what you experience? What is the emotion of 'emptiness and stillness'? A sense of harmony, all is well, emotion can relax and consciousness can watch itself watching?
    Interesting: An acquaintance of mine said she can't differentiate between anxiety and excitement.
    Yes, they correlate. Although, excitement promise more directly an object of desire. Anxiety is the result of conflict of desire (needs going in opposite directions pulling the emotion and mind apart.)
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]
    Here's the only clue I have to understanding. The only way you realize you are not in the moment is to be in the moment noticing. It's like: "Hey, look, I've wandered away." If you did not return to the present moment, you would never notice. (Imagine living your life this way.)
    Well, perhaps you are and just 'think' you are not. The illusion is an illusion... perhaps. That just goes to show how powerful myth is!
    The other way around is not coming to me. Let's see. When I'm in the moment how to I get from there to not in the moment?
    Wouldn't entropy apply to the mind and emotions just as it does to everything else in nature? :)
  • edited December 1969
    what is in the moment ?

have you ever been to a barber that had the mirrors in front of you and behind you ? you see your reflection of your reflection or your reflection for many itterations. the one as far back as you can see is from the past not the present, albeit one millionth of a second.

babbling cuz I didn't get much sleep
  • edited December 1969
    what is in the moment ?

That's a good question. The Moment is constant and fleeting at the same time. I see it as being awake, being aware. I've noticed that frequently for me, being in the moment stops the constant chattering of the mind. I think meditation is the practice of being in the moment. Over and over again.

It's the dots that compose the line.

I didn't get my normal 9 hours last night either.

Now I'm going to go watch the video of the Abbotts at the mall...
  • edited December 1969
    rage! fear! lust! etc, in their extreme ( Exclamation ) is virtually thought-less. At these time primordial biology is fully engaged... all systems are go, go, go.

Not in my experience. Rage especially is crowded with thoughts....thoughts of vengeance, self-justification, all kinds of ego protective thoughts.

But it is possible to experience emotion without thought. Like when I get overwhelmingly sad for no reason, there is little or no thought until I start looking for a reason for being sad ("I am not perfect," "It's Christmas time," "I should love people more," "People should love me more"). The folly of it all. :roll:
    Well, perhaps you (never present) are and just 'think' you are not. The illusion is an illusion... perhaps. That just goes to show how powerful myth is!

You're just trying to freak me out.
    Wouldn't entropy apply to the mind and emotions just as it does to everything else in nature?

Sounds right to me. And goes right along with Buddha saying to trust only your own experiencesdflkdlfkjdfdj f ldkfjdlkfjd dslkjlfjkldkf dklfd.d.......
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]
    rage! fear! lust! etc, in their extreme ( Exclamation ) is virtually thought-less. At these time primordial biology is fully engaged... all systems are go, go, go.
    Not in my experience. Rage especially is crowded with thoughts....thoughts of vengeance, self-justification, all kinds of ego protective thoughts.
    Perhaps you have not been fully engaged in rage or in fear. The few times I have, I had no 'time' to think. Intense 'fight or flight' emotion returns us to our instinctive animal nature. "Thoughts of vengeance" etc., come afterward when the heat of the battle has cooled some.
    Well, perhaps you (never present) are and just 'think' you are not. The illusion is an illusion... perhaps. That just goes to show how powerful myth is!
    You're just trying to freak me out.
    I don't know how else to 'thing outside the box'.
    flkdlfkjdfdj f ldkfjdlkfjd dslkjlfjkldkf dklfd.d.......
    :wink: