'People Music'

Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 50
When going one way means life and going the other means death, three in ten
will be comrades of life, three in ten will be comrades in death, and there are
those who value life and as a result move into the realm of death, and these
number three in ten. Why is this so? Because they set to much store by life. I
have heard it said that one who excels in safeguarding his own life does not
meet with rhinoceros or tiger when traveling on land nor is he touched by
weapons when charging into an army. There is nowhere for the rhinoceros to
pitch its horn; there is nowhere for the tiger to place its claws; there is
nowhere for the weapon to lodge its blade. Why is this so? Because for him
there is no realm of death.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
Read notes on translations
Now, do it too at Wengu!

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Our family has developed a method for teaching ordinary people to sing and play string instruments. ‘Mountain Music For Everyone’ , as we call it. The group of folks last night have been at it for six months and have all they need for jamming. Listening to them reminded me of the music I encountered throughout the third world (e.g., Asia, Africa, India, Polanisia, etc.). And much like the music you can find sung in small Christian churches, it is music for the people, by the people,... 'people music'.

What struck me so poignantly was the stark difference between this 'people music' and the 'professional band' sound. Perhaps a short correlation's table can best draw the distinction...

[code:1]
    YIN (passive)--YANG (active)
    common
    flashy
    free
    fortune
    anonymous
    fame
    unassuming
    ego
    loose
    tight
    unimpressive---awesome
    calming
    stimulating
    boondocks
    uptown
    plain
    polished
    natural
    artistic
    simple
    intricate
    common
    unique[/code]

Sure, the 'professional band' sound is impressive. That's why it sells. But, about five minutes of that is all I can take. Then I prefer the sound of traffic. I know, I'm an oddball. In contrast, the 'people music' feels simple, relaxing, whole. I'm not drawn to listen to it, but when I hear it, I'm not repelled either. 'People music' is non-contending, content, quietly joyful, sincere, and comfortable in the lower position. For me, it parallels chapter 70: [chref=70]Therefore the sage, while clad in homespun, conceals on his person a priceless piece of jade. [/chref]
  • edited December 1969
    The first time I heard Doc Watson, way back in the early 70's, I was drawn by the humanness of his music. It was so genuine and authentic, humble but yet skilled. Sort of warmed the cockles of yer heart, it did. When my Mother was dying of cancer and I was flying back and forth to New York, Doc's music kept me sane.

You captured that feeling nicely.

I wonder if mountain music could even survive if big money were introduced. Oh, wait, we know the answer to that. Mountain Music + $$$$$ = country music! A whole 'nother animal.