Chapter of the Week: #36

[Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.

This chapter really pokes our ideals in the eye. Much (truly all?) of what we feel and do in life overall is predetermined. Not by ‘fate’ mind you, but rather by biological underpinnings. Our innate social instinct (perhaps the strongest) accounts for much of our behavior. Letting things take their own course goes against our every emotional fiber. Yet, to take on all under heaven (win the empire), we must reach a degree of ‘unnatural’ [chref=16]impartiality[/chref]. Unnatural? Yes, that’s an odd thing to say in describing a Taoist view. It is unnatural in the sense that impartiality, letting things take their own course, is not innate in us (or any living thing I’d guess). Rather, learning through life’s [chref=51]circumstances[/chref] brings us there if, and when, we understand that letting things take their own course is how Nature works its wondrous way. To be fully connected to Nature, we must [chref=25]model ourselves on that which is naturally so[/chref].

Speaking of learning, I’ve just passed 65 years upon this earth, and yet feel I’ve just begun. I suspect that if I lived to be 1065 I’d feel pretty much the same way. I’ve long ‘known’ (since my teens) the importance of letting go, and being watchful moment to moment. Knowing is one thing, being is another. Being conscious in the ‘[chref=52]small[/chref]’ affairs of the moment is a constancy that lies just here as well as beyond the horizon. This certainly makes life interesting!

Trimmed down to ‘normal’ English:
Support learning day by day. Support the way day by day.
Decreasing down to letting things take their own course.
Letting things take their own course and not support.

Take on all under heaven as normal without responsibility,
Reaching for its problems, is insufficient for taking on all under heaven.

The chapter in its full literal glory:
do (action, be, support)) learning increasingly (day by day).
do (action, be, support)) way (tao) increasingly (day by day).
decrease (lose, harm) of once again (also, both) decrease (lose, harm),
down to (up to; to such an extent as to... ; so...that...) to ( from/ in /at / by / than / out of) without do (action, be, support)).
without do (action, be, support) and yet (as well as / but (not) / yet (not) not do.
to take (to choose) heaven under always (normal, constant) use (so as to, as well as) without affairs (thing, trouble, responsibility),
reach (come up to) its (that, such) have affairs (thing, trouble, work, responsibility, serve),
not-enough (inadequate; insufficient, cannot) use (so as to, as well as) take (assume, choose) heaven under.

Comments

• edited November 2007
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 36
    If you would have a thing shrink,
    You must first stretch it;
    If you would have a thing weakened,
    You must first strengthen it;
    If you would have a thing laid aside,
    You must first set it up;
    If you would take from a thing,
    You must first give to it.

This is called subtle discernment:
    The submissive and weak will overcome the hard and strong.

The fish must not be allowed to leave the deep;
    The instrument of power in a state must not be revealed to anyone.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.

This is one marvelous point of view! That we must stretch something in order have it shrink; that we must set things up in order to lay them aside. In the same way, if we would be wise, we must first be foolish; if we would relax, we must first work; if we would feel content, we must first feel need; if we would feel satiated, we must first feel hungry, and so on down the line. This dynamic view of life takes all the pressure off being any particular way, if you truly buy into the view. You only need to do what you are doing in order for the tide to turn. And the tide will turn regardless of what you do. So, you need only allow nature to flow.

Moreover, obstructing the natural flow is only likely to produce unintended and unwanted consequences. Of course, we are set up biologically to instinctively feel that the hard and strong overcome the submissive and weak. That the opposite is the case is so counter intuitive that it can take a good deal of life experience to verify that this is indeed so. And even when we know that it is so, our emotions still hang onto nature's instinctive '[chref=65]hoodwink[/chref]'. Certainly nature has no interest in us being 'enlightened', so I guess it is a little amazing that we can figure out what is going on at all. :shock:

The literal:
    with wanting of inhale, must first of open up.
    with wanting of weak (inferior, lose, a little less than) must fist of stuggle.
    with wanting of give up, must first prosper (prevail, begin, get up)
    with wanting of get (adopt), must first give (participate in)
    this correct meaning minute bright (clear, distinct, explicit)
    weak victory (gets the better of) staunch (unyielding)
    fish not can (need doing) escape from (neglect) deep,
    of country good tools (sharp weapon), not can (may) show people.

The nearly literal:
    In wanting to inhale, one must first open up.
    In wanting less, one must first stuggle.
    In wanting to let go, one must first begin.
    In wanting to get, one must first give.
    This sense is little understood.
    The weak gets the better of the unyielding
    Fish need not escape from the deep,
    A state's tools need not be displayed to people.
  • JoeJoe
    edited December 1969
    This chapter is so pertinent in just everything that goes on in ordinary, day-to-day-life. (Along with the other 80 chapters, of course!)

One of the key things I often overlook when reviewing this chapter, is the question of choice. Stretching, strengthening, setting up, giving, these are all things that happen. But not because I first decide I'm going to do something that way. I may be lucky and have some awareness of this process after the fact.

Another thing about this is the sense of cycles. Things come and go. Desires ebb and flow. It’s not like an aspect of my life is stretched for a given amount of time, and then I’m done, and I can enjoy the benefits of the shrinking. Two steps forward, and then one step backward. Or one aspect of the desires in my life are laid aside, and, surprise!, here’s another aspect that gets set up.

I guess it ties in with the first verse, about allowing yourself desires to observe its’ manifestations, and rid yourself of desires, to observe its’ secrets. These both come and go in life. Doing the best I can to flow along with the ups and downs of the river, is the best I can do towards contentment.