Update on 'brain washing'.

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
Dear Abbots,
I don't usually write people I haven't met, but I saw you guys on TV and I thought you might be interrested in learning of a wonderful camp (tho I suppose you might have heard of it already).
It's called Not Back To School Camp. There's alot of amazing people, plenty of music to share, plenty of barefootedness. The attendees are mostly homeschooled and the meals are vegetarian and mostly organic.
If you want to learn more go to www.nbtsc.org. They have a great website.
The camp is directed by a wonderful woman named Grace Llewellen. She's written some interresting books, including the Teenage Liberation Handbook
I've gone to camp three years in row, and I 'm going back.
Hope to see you there.
Love, Crystal

Comments

• edited December 2004
    My mother (who's 92 and lives next door) agreed with the 'assessment' that I 'brain wash' my boys. That a stranger who is only visiting a few days would judge the situation thus is not surprising, but my mother's been next door since the boys were born and has seen us all grow up. It baffled me how she could see us that way.

So, yesterday it occurred to me that the stranger and my mother were both judging our family from the vantage point of their experience, and indeed the American experience. My mother was a rebellious teenager, I was and immigrated to Australia at 20. In our culture the teenage rebellion from parents is normal! Our family has none of that, thus in the stranger's and my mother's eyes, we're abnormal... something is wrong with our family. Obviously, I must be 'brain washing' the boys, for how else could they have turned out to be the gentle, respectful, hardworking, honest, reliable, sincere, creative, and cooperative young men that they are.

I passed that analyses by her and, after some pondering, she thought I might be correct. At 92 she?s able to glimpse past her paradigm. That?s the upside of aging!
  • edited December 1969
    Vicki's a real force of nature, as Carl put it, and easy for her to persuade many others of her viewpoint-sometimes with 'energetic' people like her, it's easier just to agree with her and let her have her way. That being said, i'd hope she's changed her view since the show, Have y'all talked to her? Because I think every parent 'brainwashes' their kids in some ways, just most of theses ways are more acceptable to american society (going to the same school, supporting the same teams, etc...).
    Wonder if this show plays overseas? I'd bet the bed sharing for example doesnt raise a single fuss over there, wonder how familes over there where the Father is still more in charge will take Carl's supposed 'brainwashing'?
  • edited December 1969
    I'm not sure if people in the east get American TV 'cause a friend of ours in Japan can't get the station and want us to send him a coffee - I mean copy on DVD! (that was an actual typo [I was typing on autopilot if you know what I mean]) I was thinking about coffee when I responded to Buddy1's coffee post so that typo is understandable. :lol:

Anyway, I'm not sure if people can get it in the east but if they got a sattelite, they should be able to.
  • edited December 1969
    Buddy1 asks:
    Have y'all talked to her?

Everyone in both families, Abbotts and Lowes are best of friends. That was true pretty much right of the bat. True, Vickie had some difficulty with the ocean and the forest (she's a bit afraid of nature), but she was a great sport, in fact.

We talk to the Lowe family a few times a week, and we can't wait to go out and visit them, and they are likewise eager to visit us.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Carl:[/cite]When my mother (who's 92 and lives next door) saw the show she agreed with Vickie's assessment that I 'brain wash' my boys.

Speaking as someone who was raised in a mind control cult ( hint: Saturday morning knock on your door ) these guys are not brainwashed. Brainwashing is the control of persons through fear, deception and isolation. Lies are shrouded within an abundance of truths and questioning the validity of what is taught is not tolerated.

It's a parent's job to instill proper values and be a positive influence in their childrens lives. Based on what I've seen of the Abbott family, I would have to say, "Carl and Leslie, job well done."
  • edited December 1969
    There's a good follow up show idea: the 2 families together...I'd love to see the Lowe daughter sleeping on the floor...and Carl with 4 bathrooms to choose from...
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Tao Nut:[/cite]I'm not sure if people in the east get American TV 'cause a friend of ours in Japan can't get the station and want us to send him a coffee - I mean copy on DVD! (that was an actual typo [I was typing on autopilot if you know what I mean]) I was thinking about coffee when I responded to Buddy1's coffee post so that typo is understandable. :lol:

Anyway, I'm not sure if people can get it in the east but if they got a sattelite, they should be able to.
    You may have problems due to the region encoding on dvd - send them a vhs tape since they use ntsc in japan it should work.

None of the Satellites that go over Japan carry Fox.
  • edited December 1969
    Hey Ron--we are neighbors. I live off Jamestown Rd in Sonora.
  • edited December 1969
    Region encoding is not present on DVDs the homeowner records from TV with their own recorder, it is only on studio DVDs. IN addition, region free players are $35 US here and probably as cheap in Japan.
  • edited December 1969
    You may have problems due to the region encoding on dvd - send them a vhs tape since they use ntsc in japan it should work.

I record (capture it to my computer) it using NTSC encoding so it won't be a problem. We're gonna make a 2 DVD (one per episode) set to give out to our friends (who live around in the US so no need for region problems). Not just any DVD, a DVD with special features and Directors cut! We'll include our own personal interviews to tell about what actually happened and how we felt at the time. We'll even include the commercials that were running that day! (maybe) A dual-layer disc would save a DVD but probably isn't as compatible.
  • edited December 1969
    you should sell these-but i imagine Fox wouldn't allow that-still, maybe you could give them away, say to nice posters with naturally curly hair who order cd's from you-nudge nidge wink wink...
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]Hey Ron--we are neighbors. I live off Jamestown Rd in Sonora.

Hi Lynn. Yes we're neighbors and we've met before. :lol: I play bass at the Jamestown jam. I've also had the pleasure of jamming with the Abbott family when I lived in the Bay Area. Hope to see you Friday. :)
  • edited December 1969
    Oh, yes, I know you! Blush. Rick is going to Sunshine's Christmas party tomorrow night (Redwood City), so we won't be at the Smoke. Have a good time! P.S. Abbotts tell me that they plan to come up our way in April...something to look forward to.
  • edited December 1969
    make sure we posters are kept aware of concert dates and such-i'd gladly travel a few hours to catch your shows. I'm about 10 hours away right now, so any closer north you get, the better.
  • JoeJoe
    edited December 1969
    Well, there's so much in that loaded statement.

My first thought was that people wouldn't think that way if Carl and the boys were at all the 49er games together, or playing basketball, or hunting together. The fact that you do yoga and tai chi together is seen as weird, controlling, whatever. Go figure.

Even though I haven't been around the boys for about 3 years, I've seen how mature and responsible they are. I guess people think it would be better for Carl to work 60-70 hours a week at an office, not participate in the boys life, and watch them turn out to have drug or alcohol problems, or whatever. It's ironic that sometimes we Americans think that being independent has been a positive thing in our growing up. Family stability seems to be more & more in short supply. (I have a brother and a friend who are going through divorces right now.)

Anyway, as a member of Carl's church for about 15 years, and a friend of the family for the same, I've always found their lifestyle, including raising Kyle and Luke, refreshing and solid, down-to-earth. Their example helps me in raising my 9 yr. old daughter, in trying to keep our family life on an even keel, when so many families are experiences such internal turbulence.

I'm so glad to hear that the Abbotts and the Lowes are staying in touch, and came away friends. I was disappointed and upset by the apparent negativity portrayed on the show; I couldn't believe that that's the kind of experience either family would have had. (No wonder I can't stand to watch Reality TV.)
  • edited December 1969
    Carl, I thought that Vicki had some resonable insights regarding the need for the boys to be more expose to American "culture". Like I said in my e-mail to you, I felt that Vicki made almost no attempt to understand what it was you did and why. I was wondering if you explained Taoism to her? Any way, I feel that although you have raised two great kids, there needs to be some more extensive exposure to "reality" or "culture" the way most of us live it. You are obviously a great guy and your patience with Vicki's verbal assaults and challenges greatly impressed me. The problem to me is that young people have to find their own path. It is not to be cleared and laid out by others. I realize that you must provide them with the tools to make their own path but now it is time to let go. I realize that I don't know you and I am not judging you. I just observed that your oldest son seemed to come alive when he was with Vicki and her presence was good for him in certain ways. I wish you all the best!
  • edited December 1969
    Having watched the first show, I was keenly interested in seeing the second. I admit for all the wrong reasons; I was so completely wrapped up in the "OMG! What a complete, controlling KOOK!" line FOX was feeding me.

After digging up this site and learning about the family -- including reading the posts and blogs by the boys -- it's clear that the show is anything BUT reality. I'm seriously disgusted by what the network did; it's not that I ever thought them to be angels, but I didn't think their actions would go so far past any boundary of integrity. Likewise, I've learned a great lesson about my own tendency to latch onto negativity and get too involved in judgement.

In particular, the show made the boys look like sheltered innocents who were literally afraid to be out in public (the scene in the shoe store?). If you take the time to read what the boys post, it's clear however that they do have ample exposure to American pop culture: video games, television, etc.

The good news is that they have exposure to an alternative mindset as well. Unfortunately, most citizens in the US do not!

Amy
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] [email protected]:[/cite]After digging up this site and learning about the family -- including reading the posts and blogs by the boys -- it's clear that the show is anything BUT reality. I'm seriously disgusted by what the network did . . .
    Wow, you have a gmail account?!? Cool! Got any spare invites?

But I digress :D . . . anyway, thanks for writing. And welcome to the club!
  • edited December 1969
    I have Gmail. What's your E-mail address? I'll send you an invite. :lol:
  • edited December 1969
    Aye, I have Gmail too. Just mail me at evan.brunell(at)gmail.com. I'll invite anyone that wants one.
  • edited December 1969
    I must admit, Carl, that after watching both episodes I was (at first) outraged. It seemed so certain to me that you were "brainwashing" your sons and that somehow they had to be rescued from a life devoid of free thinking. It was in hopes of finding out some sort of update as to how they were doing that I stumbled upon your website. Boy, do I feel stupid now. :oops:

I am so very, very impressed with both you and your intelligent, articulate sons. You must be so proud of how well both Luke and Kyle are growing up. As the mother of a teenager I understand how difficult it can be to raise a child who doesn't feel the need to rebel just to get their point across. My daughter still actually speaks to me (usually in a pretty loving manner, I'm happy to say) and we share time and experiences which I treasure. I am striving to let her be herself, no matter how different a person from me she is turning out to be. Rather than imposing my will upon her (or my beliefs) I am trying to give her the freedom to make her own decisions. I know that some decisions she makes will be tough for me to deal with, but I also know that she is learning with each step she takes. (Unfortunately those can't be barefoot steps, given that we live in Wisconsin and the windchill tonight is about 3 degrees.)

I plan to visit your website often because you and your sons are giving me the inspiration I need to remain a patient and understanding parent. You may not be a sage, you may not be a perfect dad (I'd guess that Kyle and Luke might agree with that comment once in awhile!) but you are offering us some great words of wisdom. We need to allow our children to bloom at the pace that best suits them.

Congratulations to your family for surviving this "reality" and thank you for allowing us into the REAL reality of who you are. Yours is an awesome family.
  • edited December 1969
    LOL . . . I try for four months to get my hands on a Gmail account, then in two hours I get three offers . . . :lol:
  • edited December 1969
    Ask and ye shall receive.
  • edited December 1969
    ok, clue me in, what is a g mail account? Not looking for an invite, just curious...is that what a 'gangsta' calls his e mail account?
    sooooo much about computers i dont' know. i should go to college and study them...
  • edited December 1969
    It's the best e-mail service out there, basically.
  • edited December 1969
    yahoo just changed their e mail format and now it sucks-looks crappy and cant get it to work right-why do people constantly move my cheese!?
  • edited December 1969
    Buddy, if you or anyone else needs a free gmail account, just email me at [email protected] - I Have 5 left.

Susan
  • edited December 1969
    Thanx but I barely know what to do with my normal old yahoo account. Anything beyond that frightens me.
  • edited December 1969
    Hey ... what is a GMail account and why do we want one??????
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Osheen38:[/cite]Hey ... what is a GMail account and why do we want one??????

go to gmail.com to find out