What is the Difference Between Taoism and Buddhism?

When I look out at nature I never see “good” or “evil”.

It is our judging mind that creates the "good" and "bad." Nature has no such proclivity. So borrowing the mind of nature is borrowing non-judgment, no mind.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Someone recently asked my son, what the difference was between Taoism and Buddhism. After thinking it over, there is little that I see, at least in the ‘ism’ of these two. Sure, the myths, rituals, proscriptions, [chref=57]taboos[/chref], and hocus-pocus foolishness are different in kind, but they are the same in nature, i.e., they are rituals and [chref=38]rites[/chref]. I marvel at how quickly we elaborate the simple [chref=2]teaching that uses no words[/chref] which all religions share at their core.

Their core world view share less than a hair’s width of difference... ‘Desire’, ‘Self’, ‘End Desire’, ‘Path’, and so on. The path of Tao is the ‘teaching that uses no words’. The Eightfold Path has some words, but they all point to the same ‘teaching’. Zen comes closest to Taoist view in this way. In some ways it may be more Taoist than Taoism, at least at the popular level of a ‘religion’. Of course, Zen, at the popular ‘religion’ level is chock full of politics and enough hocus-pocus to not [chref=65]enlighten the people but to hoodwink them[/chref].

The differences we see between the ‘isms’ must stems from our tribal instinct. I read recently that there were about 50,000 denominations of Christianity. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I thought, “do they mean churches?” But, that’s impossible. There must be a hundred right here in town. Didn’t Christ want to bring peace and unite us? But, it is our nature to be in tribes and differentiate ourselves from ‘them and those’ tribes. Religion, philosophy, art, music, sports, myths, war, etc., are vehicles for us to identify our group’s uniqueness and group-righteousness.

My point is... probably none. Just observations and miscellaneous thoughts. I think one reason for why we hold to differences is that we can’t accept reality. And what is reality? Well, one aspect would be ‘unity’ - deep and [chref=56]mysterious sameness[/chref] (玄同). While we can picture ‘unity’ in our mind, our tribal instinct won’t let us truly accept it emotionally in our actions. Another aspect of reality is decay and death. Our survival instinct doesn’t make accepting that easy either. It is little wonder we are so easily [chref=65]hoodwinked[/chref].

In the end, reality just blows the mind! And aren't many of our thoughts and actions simply our attempt to cope with that 'terror'. I love how this passage from the Bhagavad Gita puts it (excerpts from chapter 11):

ARJUNA (the warrior)
    Reveal thyself to me! Who art thou in this form of terror? I adore thee, O god supreme: be gracious unto me. I yearn to know thee, who art from the beginning: for I understand not thy mysterious works.

KRISHNA (the God)
    I am all-powerful Time which destroys all things, and I have come here to slay these men. Even if thou dost not fight, all the warriors facing thee shall die.

But thou never canst see me with these thy mortal eyes: I will give thee divine sight. Behold my wonder and glory.

ARJUNA (the warrior)
    In a vision I have seen what no man has seen before: I rejoice in exultation, and yet my heart trembles with fear. Have mercy upon me, Lord of gods, Refuge of the whole universe: show me again thine own human form.

I yearn to see thee again with thy crown and scepter and circle. Show thyself to me again in thine own four-armed form, thou of arms infinite, Infinite Form.

KRISHNA (the God)
    Neither Vedas, nor sacrifices, nor studies, nor benefaction, nor rituals, nor fearful austerities can give the vision of my Form Supreme. Thou alone hast seen this Form, thou the greatest of the Kurus.

Thou hast seen the tremendous form of my greatness, but fear not, and be not bewildered. Free from fear and with a glad heart see my friendly form again.

SANJAYA (the storyteller)
    Thus spoke Vasudeva to Arjuna, and revealed himself in his human form. The God of all gave peace to his fears and showed himself in his peaceful beauty.

ARJUNA (the warrior)
    When I see thy gentle human face, Krishna, I return to my own nature, and my heart has peace.