Chapter of the Week: #32

hmm... little disappointing... but let's all go back to the original statement...

In order to say that here is no God (nothing), one accepts the idea that there is a god (something). By Preaching there is something, you infact acknowledge that there is nothing. (well at least a part of it anyway hehe)

Lao-tzu teaching chucked right out the window I see...
but I guess we all fall from the tree every once in a while~

Please never let your beliefs and your thoughts to be confused by what you do not believe to be true!

Kudos and Happy New Year~

Comments

• edited October 2007
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 32
    The way is for ever nameless.
    Though the uncarved block is small
    No one in the world dare claim its allegiance.
    Should lords and princes be able to hold fast to it
    The myriad creatures will submit of their own accord,
    Heaven and earth will unite and sweet dew will fall,
    And the people will be equitable, though no one so decrees.
    Only when it is cut are there names.
    As soon as there are names
    One ought to know that it is time to stop.
    Knowing when to stop one can be free from danger.

The way is to the world as the River and the Sea are to rivulets and streams.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

Names and words give us a profound ability to control circumstances to favor our perceived advantage. The trouble with our perception is that its [chref=19]self[/chref] serving with [chref=46]too many desires[/chref]. But do we stop? Ha! Just look at me. Although, perhaps one day...

The literal Chinese as best as I can do:
    way always (constant, normal) without name.
    simple (plain) although small heaven under no one (nothing, no) ability (can) official!
    nobleman great as if can defend (keep watch) of,
    10,000 things support (take, handle, take care of) self (one's own, certainly) guest.
    heaven earth mutually join (agree, close, whole) and (so as to) fall (drop, lower) sweet dew,
    the people none of command (order, make) yet self (one's own, certainly) equal (even, all).
    beginning (only then) make (control, restrict, system) have name,
    name also already (now that, as well as) have,
    heaven also support ( handle, incite, prod,... lead) know stop (to, till),
    know stop can not danger (nearly almost).
    example way of exist (rest with, depend on) heaven under,
    just as (like, still) river valley of in (at, to, from, by, than, out of) river sea.

And now to smooth the edges:
    The way is always without a name.
    The simple, even if small,
    No one under heaven is able to officiate it!
    If great men could watch over it,
    All things would take the role of the guest.
    Heaven and earth would join and drop sweet dew,
    The people, not ordered and on their own, would be equal.
    When we start to control there are names,
    Now that we have names, heaven prods knowing to stop.
    Knowing to stop, we can be without danger.
    For example, the way exists under heaven,
    Just as the river of a valley flows to the great river and the sea.

Notice the connection made between names and starting to control. That is the double edged blade we have made for ourselves. Names - language - give us immense control over the natural world. Alas, the wisdom (unlike the skills) to use our skillful powers wisely can't be transferred through language. Each generation must revisit the mistakes of their ancestors. Nuts! And so, not knowing when to stop is a core failure of our species. :oops:
  • edited December 1969
    for some reason part of this reminds me of this

only when we all agree that something is beautifull that ugliness comes into view.