What is Beauty, Really?

That which is softest in the universe, tramples upon that which is hardest in the universe.
What is lacking in form penetrates that which does not have space.
It is because of this observation that I know the benefits of non-action.
The speechless teaching, the benefits of non-action,
Are only grasped by a few in the universe.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    What is Beauty, Really?
    Simply, the [chref=2]beautiful[/chref] is that which pulls us toward it (attracts us), and the [chref=2]ugly[/chref] is that which pushes us away (repels us). Simpler yet, beauty is need all dressed up in sheep's clothing. Ugly is fear all decked out in 'solitary', 'desolate' and 'hapless' garb. So, rather than saying 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', we can just nail it down to 'beauty is the desirable', which is naturally in the eye of the beholder. It is fascinating to see how many view beauty as a reality in its own right. I bet Plato is turning in his grave hearing me downgrade his universal "Forms of Beauty" to a simple animal imperative - need (biology). What a wet blanket I am :wink: Oh, ditto for those other treasures, 'good', 'right', 'truth', 'virtue', 'God',... you name it. They too originate in need and his son [chref=37]desire[/chref]. (Yes, son not daughter, for son correlates with need and desire).