The way that can be spoken of is not the constant way...

I think I understand your point...how not being in the moment (your mind is running away with you) returns you to being in the moment but the moment is not enjoyable and so you go back to running away. Is that what you mean?

An aside: how would being in the moment then have been if you had no thoughts about it? If you weren't judging each moment? If you could have suspended conceptual thinking?

In my experience, being in the moment is helpful in getting through difficult emotional experiences but I've wondered how being in the moment would be if I were being tortured, and I think you've answered that question. Eventually, however, in that situation your mind/body would create some kind of uncontrollable coping mechanism to block the experience (like passing out).

I haven't had the dreaded colonoscopy yet and hope I do pass out.

Comments

• edited October 2007
    道可道,非常道...
    [chref=1]The way that can be spoken of is not the constant way...[/chref] is the cornerstone of the Taoist point of view. Can I hear an Amen! It can help to [chref=16]return[/chref] and really sink into it. Below is the literal Chinese along with main meanings of each character. Put on your 'fuzzy' thinking cap and with a [chref=15]murky and tentative[/chref] mind...

道 dao = road, way, path; doctrine, principle; Taoism, Taoist; say, talk, speak; think, suppose.
    可 ke = approve; can; may; need (doing); be worth (doing); fit; suit; but; yet.
    道 dao = road, way, path; doctrine, principle; Taoism, Taoist; say, talk, speak; think, suppose.
    非 fei = not conform to; run counter to; not; no.
    常 chang = ordinary; common; normal; constant; invariable; frequently; often; usually.

Why, we could even make a mantra out of this in the same vain as Nichiren Buddhism's "Nam myo ho ren ge kyo"

'dao ke dao fei chang dao'
    'dao ke dao fei chang dao'... etc

:) :D :lol: ... or we could just [chref=5]hold fast to the void[/chref].
  • edited December 1969
    Okay, Amen.

Translate that.
  • edited December 1969
    Ok, I will!

Amen translate to 'So be it; truly' according to Wikipedia. And in Chinese
    it could be something like this... 真的 or 是的

真 zhen = true; real; genuine.
    是 shi = correct; right; yes
    çš„ de = (possessive particle) / of