Global Warming: Short Term... Pain Long Term Gain?

Yes I think pigeon holing my past experiences into meticulous rationalizations as to how and why things happen has brought me a feeling or need to "burry the past" per se. Which on some levels, is valuable as it has brought me to Taoism haha. But in doing so, I've built a mental wall that I'm trying to cross. But rather than deconstructing and understanding my perceptions, I slowly am coming to accept them as reflections that have built a sense of self or identity, and am using this to live, think, and judge, and ultimately now, surpass. It seems the more I remain devoid of thought, just staying aware rather than being driven upon thought or emotion, the closer I come to myself and nature. The more I live in the flow, the lesser I feel I need to solve something. But by the same token, I agree with Ch. 71, as if I take this perspective as "the answer," I'll be once again setting myself up for battle.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Global Warming: Short Term... Pain Long Term Gain?
    From the 'Gaia hypothesis' point of view, we humans are part of Nature's whole. Being at the top of the food chain, however, we've been the sole beneficiary of our time on earth. However, by returning much of the carbon sequestered under ground (oil) to the atmosphere, we are participating in the 'long term carbon cycle'. In the greater scheme of things, this may be our one and only contribution to the planet as a whole. Sure, global warming will be a short term (a few millennia?) pain, but in the long run (the coming 100 million years?) all life on earth will benefit. So, we should give ourselves a little pat on the back perhaps. Our role in returning carbon to the atmosphere will benefit all life on earth in the long run, for without that, the day might come when there would be insufficient carbon for plant survival.

I admit, to fully appreciate this view we must [chref=19]have as little thought of self and as few desires as possible[/chref].