TS: No coffee? No TV? [see picture!]

edited December 2004 in The CenterTao Lounge
checked out 3 more books on taoism-just finished re reading my old self annotated and hi-lited copy of huston smith's 'religions of man', and dug out my copy of the tao te ching. Damn Abbotts are going to make me think, and thats going to hurt, i havent had to do it for so long...

Comments

• edited December 1969
    In the car when she asked if you had coffee you said no. Now......first of all....why did she ask if you have coffee at home ? Just seems like an odd question. and why did you answer her no ?
    and you and the boys even said you have no tv. if you have tv why did you tell her you didn't ?
    And I read some place on here with the boys mom had a great time with the other family. I know the show edits alot of things, and makes us see what they want us to see. BUT.....I don't see where she had or could of had a good time. Those kid's made fun of her, and mocked her. Thats fun ?? and she even ended up crying, and looking sad. Thats fun ? and if you have tv, where was it ? We were not shown one tv set.
  • edited May 2005
    Well, that's the thing. We probably answered "oh yeah . . . gotta have that coffee," but the editors "pasted in" a "no" answer which they took from another question. Same thing with TV. Also, with the Lowe kids . . . we were talking with them yesterday and we both agree that those scenes were edited to make them look bad. Like, for example, Hope actually never said that "[Leslie] kinda sucks." She was talking about something completely unrelated, and yet that got pasted in.

Oh, and I guess a picture is worth a thousand words:

livingroom.jpg
    Behold: our living room. Yes, that's my dad there on the PC. And there's our couch.

New! Check out all the new pictures, including all our TVs!
  • edited December 1969
    Are you trying to tell me tv lies??!! What is this, the nightly news with dan rather? I'm just thrilled you have coffee (addicted), and no cats (allergic), in case I ever visit...
  • edited December 1969
    I guess they have to do that, because airing a show where people are nice to each other wont have the same rating effects as what was actually shown.

It certainly worked for Barbara two weeks ago, they made her look really, really bad.
  • edited December 1969
    Sorry to disappoint you Buddy1 but I gave up drinking coffee 15 years ago :lol: (I like the smell more than the taste [the smell is delicious but I find the actual taste a bit bitter]). I did have a cafe latte once (really!) :wink:.
  • edited December 1969
    yeah, guess both the families got a dose of reality tv! In the end the show is actually not 'real' after all the editing.
  • edited December 1969
    I'm down to 3 pots a day, from 6-only had one type of coffee in my life besides weak house blend, and that was an espresso-shook so bad, I spoilled it all over a new calvin & hobbes shirt I had on-never could get the stains out...
    15 years ago...hey, wait a minute... i can do math! LOL.
  • edited December 1969
    three pots a day? you mean to the brim? you must make good coffee! :) (You should open a Java house) We just get costco coffee. I get my coffee (when I drank it) hacked and whipped with a twist of lime. Not one of those shaken or stirred drinks. :wink:

Our 10+ year old neighbor drinks coffee. My friend (who I'm currently talking to while I'm writing) was fed coffee (with milk) in a bottle when he was a baby.

Lol :lol: You kinda have to know my age to get the pun
  • edited December 1969
    I disagree compleatly about you saying thats what reality tv is all about. It's about what FOX wants, and what they want is to decieve people. I knew they edited things, but not in the manner I am now finding out. This makes me disgusted ! They are making familys look bad. and how many familys have been hurt from fox decieving the people into believing the worse ?? Now Barbra Gates.........from the last show...I believe she was bad period ! [/b]
  • edited December 1969
    that pic looks like photoshop (j/k)LOL :lol:
    It's all about the ratings, if you see any normal family as what the majority of Amricans are depicted in of what the media says, everyone outside the norm is either strange and abnormal to everyone.

How about having 2 religious families, one evangelistic Baptist, and the other family gardinarian wiccan switch spouces, then see what happens. Of couse if fox did this there would be some trouble with the family, even if is for a week. But I would say no to this because they might make us pagans look bad.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Tao Nut:[/cite] I find the actual taste a bit bitter]). .

Kyle, I'll give you my secret for drinking coffee: lots and lots of cream and sugar. :)
  • edited December 1969
    I make my coffee very very weak-otherwise it upsets my delicate tummy. Also, that way I can drink lots without getting too hyper-when anyone asks me how much coffee i drink, I say 'not enuf'...it's the only vice i have left (well, besides the crack and heroin...) No, just kidding!
  • edited December 1969
    So I heard somewhere that Carl's beard is fake, and your pants only have one leg hole in them...
    well, not really, but I thought I'd beat the rush before the 2nd episode airs...
  • edited December 1969
    AH ha :lol: . Lol! (as they say). Boy, the message board-ers are gonna have a hard time beating that!

Did you hear the rumor that we stare at the sun with the back of our heads and that I have five pairs of the same shirt? Not really but I'm just trying to add something to the rumors but it's hard to beat yours. That hair thing is gold I think!
  • edited December 1969
    I was so puzzled by that scene: I know you guys have a TV and I know you enjoy watching. When Vicki asked about the TV, it was such a cheesy bit of editing to make it seem like you'd answered "No". I was confused by the edit and confused about why FOX had done it. Now I know why. It was to start making a story line for the story they wanted to present. Just as we edit our posts here, FOX cut and pasted 2 families.

I hope even doubters can look at your picture (nice evidence, btw), listen to people who know you and start to "get it". Folks: These are good people, the kids aren't hog tied to the family bed, they are master musicians that get out and about interacting with a variety of people every day (I was one of them when I lived next door). They signed up for a reality TV show! Imagine that. Who among us would be open, free and brave enough to do that? Also, if Luke is such a cool cat (and, he is, no big editing there) why is that? Could it be due in part to the careful, loving, intelligent manner in which he and Kyle were raised?

I'll tell you as someone who has watched these boys grow up: They are take charge kids, now young men, who have been fostered to do_what_they_want and do it well. I have no doubt they will continue to impress, and no doubt their strong connection to family will serve them well as they do.
  • edited December 1969
    To get the bitterness out, just add a touch of salt to the grinds before brewing. Works great. Coffee houses do it all the time.
  • edited December 1969
    mmm. . . Sometimes when the coffee house near here brews coffee, We can smell it from our house and it smells good. Salt does help in a lot of things including coffee.
  • edited December 1969
    Rewatched the first episode, and then the 2nd episode today, and man, can you see the editing once you're aware of it! The way they start a sentence filming the person, and then change to an exterior view to finish the sentence...kinda fun to notice, if you're not the victim...
  • edited December 1969
    You can here a very little cut in the words. Some words are cut short (in a vveerryy miniscule way). If you like the cutting, you should see David Letterman's 'A moment with Kerry/Bush'. It doesn't take a genius to know that it's been cut but it's hilarious, I think.
  • edited December 1969
    I love Letterman-haven't watched him reguarly since the late 80's but always glad when I see his show now and then...so much classic comedy: the alka seltzer suit, the rice crispy suit, the monkey cam...
  • edited December 1969
    Letterman has good clean (most of the time) comedy. I may like wet weather but his dry humor is refreshing. :) :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    Bill Cosby is the greatest 'clean' comedian of all time-all his '60's albums are classics-his riffs on family life, growing up-just great-
    I also like his current comments on families taking responsibilty for themselves and their kids-not a popular view in this 'victim playing, blame someone else' society...
  • edited December 1969
    My very favorite comedian is Victor Borge. You can't just listen to him make jokes, you have to watch him 'cause he uses lots of facial expressions.

His Phonetic Punctuation is very handy at times. My friend Billy (who was shown at the party with a white and red checkered shirt with a guitar) can do the Phonetic Punctuation voices just like Borge. The squeeks, groans and creaks. The whole deal.
  • edited December 1969
    I have a video of him taped off of PBS about 10 years ago, but I've never watched it. have to find that...I've seen bits & pieces of his act, and I agree, he's unique.
  • edited December 1969
    I've only seen two videos of him but I've heard that he uses the same material over and over again. . . not that that's a bad thing. Dave Letterman has been showing the Will It Float Home Game for many, many months and it's still funny (though it is getting old now)
  • edited December 1969
    He used to smash things, throw things off buildings, run over them-pumpkins, paint cans, etc...haven't seen him much lately-watched him right after his heart operation. they say he's mellowed quite a bit since then-I like him also because he and I share a gap in our front teeth.

Ever seen Ernie Kovacs? 50's tv comedian.
  • edited December 1969
    Recently, he blew up a pumpkin. A few months ago, he ate a piece of charcoal and drank mouthwash during the show. It was so funny, I recorded it to my computer.

I think he's gotten funnier since his operation.

No, I haven't heard of Ernie
  • edited December 1969
    Check him out (Kovacs) he was the 50's version of Letterman. WAAAY ahead of his time-very clever, intelligent, but not stuck up. Some of his stuff is available on video. I'm pretty sure you'll like him alot.
  • edited December 1969
    I looked for a video of him at the library online but I couldn't find it.
  • edited December 1969
    I'll see what i can dig up-I taped a few of his shows many years ago when pbs did an old tv marathon
    -good luck me finding anything though in my video collection, though-about 500 tapes spanning 20+ years, many unmarked...been meaning to get that done...

also love jack benny, burns & Allen

I love old radio shows too.

not crazy about steve allen or sid caeser