Hello

edited September 2007 in The CenterTao Lounge
And thank you Riverwolf for posting those translations of yours today. Reading other ways of translating the TTC always intrigues. What a decent way to start the day... especially the first day of the year. Although, I have trouble buying into that illusion / myth as the 'years' roll by. :lol:

Speaking of new years, I was in Singapore one year during Chinese New Year. Now that's a party! Especially if you like setting off countless 10 foot long+ stings of firecrackers!

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Hi everybody,

I'm a newbie here, though I've been a "lurker" for a few weeks. You all seem a friendly lot so I thought I'd join you. :)

I live in Wiltshire in the UK, and I'm married with one daughter and a second child on the way.

I've found myself drawn to Taoism ever since I read my (now) wife's copy of the Tao of Pooh. More recently I've felt drawn to look deeper, and this site looks to be a good place to discuss any questions I come across.

- W
  • edited December 1969
    Well hello there, Welcome aboard :D

Im in the UK too, Lincolnshire.

They are a friendly bunch arnt they tho. Hope to see you making yourself at home... Carl seems to like grist for his mill, so tuck in.

Laurence xXx
  • edited December 1969
    Hello all

I’m also a newbie from the U.S :shock:
    I’ll just lurk awhile longer if you don't mind :)
  • edited December 1969
    Nice to meet you both

- W
  • edited December 1969
    Hi you all. Welcome welcome welcome. We could use a few more people around here. Sometimes it's just Carl and I going back and forth and not much of that.

Actually, there's not enough contention here for Carl. I'm way too acquiescent for him. A big dose of "grist for the mill" would be good.
  • edited December 1969
    Yes, welcome newbies one and all. I'm slowly trying to return to my newbie nature, but it's taking me a while.
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]...there's not enough contention here for Carl...
    Oh, no, no, no. A little delusional contention - which is all contention - goes a loooong way now a days. As soon as the juices are flowing it's time to sit down and be still. :) I just can't keep my mouth shut, and my typing fingers still.
  • edited December 1969
    Thank you for your welcomes
    Where's a good place to start guy’s.
    I don't know my way around and I do respect other folks houses :)

Would someone please show this newbee a few ropes :)):):)
  • edited December 1969
    There is a lot to read here. I would start with:

What is Taoist Thought

Understanding the Tao Te Ching

And then just start reading Featured Chapter of the Week, and be sure to click "Read commentary previously posted for this chapter".

In the beginning, the intro to the chapters eased my befuddled mind enormously:

The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.
  • edited December 1969
    Thank you Lynn

I will do that. :idea: