Chapter of the Week: #30

what is in the moment ?

That's a good question. The Moment is constant and fleeting at the same time. I see it as being awake, being aware. I've noticed that frequently for me, being in the moment stops the constant chattering of the mind. I think meditation is the practice of being in the moment. Over and over again.

It's the dots that compose the line.

I didn't get my normal 9 hours last night either.

Now I'm going to go watch the video of the Abbotts at the mall...

Comments

• edited September 2007
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 30
    One who assists the ruler of men by means of the way does not intimidate the
    empire by a show of arms.

This is something which is liable to rebound.
    Where troops have encamped
    There will brambles grow;
    In the wake of a mighty army
    Bad harvests follow without fail.

One who is good aims only at bringing his campaign to a conclusion and dare
    not thereby intimidate. Bring it to a conclusion but do not boast; bring it to
    a conclusion but do not brag; bring it to a conclusion but do not be arrogant;
    bring it to a conclusion but only when there is no choice; bring it to a
    conclusion but do not intimidate.

A creature in its prime doing harm to the old
    Is known as going against the way.
    That which goes against the way will come to an early end.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.

'Fuzzy' is a good thing when it comes to understanding the Taoist view. This chapter, by and large, is pretty un-fuzzy in describing the [chref=68]virtue of non-contention[/chref] and the consequences should we [chref=22]contend[/chref]. Even so, this chapter in the literal Chinese has some 'fuzzy' parts, thankfully. I find pondering the 'fuzzy', [chref=14]indistinct and shadowy[/chref] realm clarifies my understanding, albeit the deepest layers still can't [chref=1]be named or spoken of[/chref]. Hallelujah! If all this could be easily spoken of and named, it would be like jumping ahead to the last page to see how the story ends and so spoil the [chref=27]secret[/chref]. But, I'll keep trying, jumping mischief maker that I am. :roll:

The 'fuzzy' way it goes in Chinese literally:
    use way assist man host (manage, owner), no use weapons strong heaven under.
    its thing (matter, affair) good in return (give back, repay).
    of master (troops) place place (point) thorn bushes grow here.
    of army after must have crop failure (terrible) year.
    perfect ( kind, be adept) have fruit (results) but stop afterwards,
    not daring use (so as to) take (choose, seek)
    results but don't pity (sympathize with, self important).
    result but don't attack.
    result but don't proud.
    result but not result in (complacent, be finished) stop (end,already),
    result but don't stubborn (by force, better, plus)
    things strong (robust, make better) standard (norm, rule) old (always, for a long time)
    is called not dao, not dao early end.

The less 'fuzzy' way it goes in English:
    In using the way to assist in managing people,
    Avoid strong arming anyone.
    Its something likely to rebound.
    Where troops have been, thorn bushes grow.
    Where armies have been, the year ends with crop failure.

The most adept have results, and afterwards stop
    Have results but don't pity.
    Have results but don't attack.
    Have results but don't be proud.
    Have results but not complacency.
    Have results but don't be unyielding.
    The strong standard always, is not of the dao,
    Not of the dao ends early.