Chapter of the Week: #29

But rather than deconstructing and understanding my perceptions, I slowly am coming to accept them as reflections that have built a sense of self or identity, and am using this to live, think, and judge, and ultimately now, surpass.

I think I know what you are getting at. Your perceptions are illusory and also illusory is the self having these perceptions. You use the word surpass. When I am aware of difficulties (as Carl says, alive to them) I think what I do is more going underneath them, taking the lower position as the TTC says. I also like the feeling of the word "return." Return to unknowing, no self.

Through meditation, I have learned to take my thoughts with a grain of salt, but that is much harder to do with feelings. Feelings are like a flood of water carrying me away. That's a good challenge, though, Carl. And what else is there to do?

Comments

• edited September 2007
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 29
    Whoever takes the empire and wishes to do anything to it I see will have no
    respite. The empire is a sacred vessel and nothing should be done to it.
    Whoever lays hold of it will ruin it; whoever lays hold of it will lose it.

Hence some things lead and some follow;
    Some breathe gently and some breathe hard;
    Some are strong and some are weak;
    Some destroy and some are destroyed.

Therefore the wise avoids excess, extravagance, and arrogance.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.

What's the empire anyway? At a minimum, that of which we are aware. Being something of a minimalist I just leave it at that. I tend to ruin it and lose it when my life shifts from actions balanced by [chref=64]careful[/chref] observation toward action alone which leads to laying hold and [chref=48]meddling[/chref]. Excess, extravagance, and arrogance always results when I am thus [chref=16]ignorant of the constant[/chref]. It sure helps [chref=71]being alive to [this] difficulty[/chref]! However, it truly helps to remember that [chref=36]if I would let go of a thing, I must first lay hold of it[/chref]. As all is as it should be, why [chref=22]contend[/chref]?

Is the literal Chinese more obtuse than usual, or is it just me today?
    command (lead, support, take) desire seek heaven under and do (act) of,
    we see its have to (have no alternative but to).
    heaven under god (spirit, mind) implements (capacity, talent),
    not can do (act, act as, mean, serve as) also (as well),
    doer lose (fail, decay) of, holder (grasper, manager) lose (miss, mistake) of.
    man thing perhaps (or, someone) go (prevail, do, circulate) perhaps follow (to comply with, to allow)
    perhaps (or, someone) _?_ perhaps (or) blow (puff, boast, brag, break up)
    perhaps (or) stubborn (unyielding) perhaps (or) win (beat, gain profit),
    perhaps (or) oppress (fail, lower, dampen) perhaps (or) destroy (overthrow, ruin).
    is because wise man go (leave; remove; get ride of) very (extremely, more than),
    go (leave; remove; get ride of) excessive, go (leave; remove; get ride of) safe (peaceful, extreme, most).

Anyway, I did my best to untangle some knots, making it less obtuse perhaps?
    Seeking to control anything under heaven is futile, and continues without end.
    All things under heaven are mind only, and serving a purpose, nothing can be done.
    The doing of anything decays, the grasping of anything loses.
    Things perhaps prevail, perhaps follow.
    Perhaps talk, perhaps boast.
    Perhaps are stubborn, perhaps win.
    Perhaps oppress, perhaps overthrow.
    Thus a wise man leaves 'very' alone,
    Leaves 'the excessive' and 'the safe' behind.

It was sure tempting to follow along the lines of the usual translation, e.g., Some are strong and some are weak; etc. It would make more 'yin yang' sense. However, the more literal points to a more subtle (though parallel) view. So ponder it some, and let it soak into the cracks between thought. Remember though, I'm either a heretic, a blathering fool, [chref=15]mysteriously comprehending[/chref], or a bit of all three. But, look in the mirror... aren't we all. In other words, we [chref=47]know[/chref] more than we 'know', but less than we [chref=71]think[/chref]. Perhaps this is why [chref=70]no one in the world can understand[/chref]?... except the Pope, of course :wink: Aren't we an odd bunch?