Politics anyone?

Every time we complain about something we are shifting the focus of our thinking to an ideal. We don’t like life as it is coming ‘now’, we have a better idea of how it should be, and damn it, why isn’t it that way!

This is just another way of describing how easily we see ‘the cup half empty’. The way flows; no thing stays the same (except [chref=11]Nothing[/chref] perhaps). In life, we are either ebbing or flowing, rising or sinking, going or returning... Seeing ‘the cup half empty’ is a symptom of rising and going with our ideals and desires. Sinking and returning happens when, in [chref=33]contentment[/chref], we feel ‘the cup half full’.

Thus, every complaint is an opportunity lost if in the complaint we don’t realize we have [chref=46]too many desires[/chref] at that moment. Only if we have the presence of mind, through being present with our moment, can we see what is happening and at least ponder the alternative ‘cup half full’ point of view. Pondering that improves our chances of turning failure (death) into success (life).

Note: There is nothing inherently wrong with failure and death of course - to the contrary. However, being alive, feeling ‘the cup half full’, opportunity side of the coin, is one of our most driving needs. Ironically, [chref=37]desire[/chref] often works against fulfilling that need.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I have never been big into politics. There's too much confusion, too much scandal, too many ulterior motives... it's just too hard to keep up with. My teachers and parents always told me that it's important to be in-the-know when it comes to this kind of stuff, but somehow I can never motivate myself to care about sorting it all out. It may be because I'm getting older and actually starting to watch and understand the news, but every year it seems more and more prevalent. Many people I know have strong opinions on who they are going to vote for and why. But I find it hard to agree with candidates enough to truly support any of them. I usually only mostly agree with their views; or when they sound really good, I'm sure they must be hiding something.

I'm 21 now, I've only voted once. And Bush wound up being president... again... despite my vote. Technically I am a registered republican... but by accident. I had planned to be an independent, but this little old lady tricked me! (It's a weird story, if anyone wants to hear it sometime.)

Anyway, I was just wondering... as Taoists and Taoist philosopers/thinkers, what are your views on current politics and the upcoming elections? Anything you feel strongly about? Or is everyone as bewildered as I am?
  • edited December 1969
    I am not a taoist but I believe that the tao teaches about good leadership and also that we need some. It may be that none of us is up to the task so we get people who want to lead but none that can lead positively.
  • edited December 1969
    When I was about your age, Ziggy, I drove with a girlfriend from Long Island to California. Somewhere in Kansas someone broke off the radio antenna on our car. We heard no news from then on...2 months. When we got to Ca, nothing had changed.

I've been on a news fast ever since. I'll be 59 this year.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] ZiggySunshinedust:[/cite]1)... always told me that it's important to be in-the-know.

2)... people I know have strong opinions on who they are going to vote for and why.

3)... is everyone as bewildered as I am?
    1) The blind leading the blind. I've found "in-the-know" always winds up [chref=70]ignorant[/chref]. As in...[chref=71]To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty[/chref].

2) Humans are among the most social of all the primates and thus "strong opinions" come readily. Emotion is what makes opinions "strong", and those with the strongest opinions end up leading the way. Alas, emotion blinds reason. The stronger the emotion, the blinder we become.

3) There are only two things I know of that quell the "bewildered" feeling of being neither here nor there: [chref=16]impartiality[/chref] and strong emotion. Biology beckons us to the later. [chref=57]Stillness[/chref] to the former.
    [cite] Topher:[/cite]1)... I am not a taoist

2)....we get people who want to lead but none that can lead positively.
    1)... what is a taoist? If it sound like a duck and... Besides, the taoist [chref=1]that can be named, or spoken of, is not[/chref]...

2) Truly, don't we simply get ourselves? The notion that some people are 'better' than others is illusionary. Our similarities outweigh our differences beyond comprehension. Our [chref=3]desire[/chref] for someone 'better' to lead the way blinds us. As human [chref=43]understanding[/chref] across the board improves, our leaders will improve.

Note: I see myself just as 'blind' and foolish as anyone so what I say is not said from 'on high', but rather from 'on low', i.e. as they say, it takes one to know one. That said, I'm not ashamed, nor do I want to change things. Why should I? I’m not in control. And besides, [chref=45]great perfection seems chipped.[/chref] Yep, it sure seems chipped alright! :lol:
  • edited December 1969
    :lol:
  • edited December 1969
    [/quote]
    ... what is a taoist? [chref=1]

Wow... such a simple statement... turned on a massive ligt bulb in my head!
    As far as that bewildered feeling... I've been feeling compelled to deal with it by using impartiality. It just makes more sense to me. I guess I just needed some reassurrance that it did in fact make sense... ...and that impartiality wouldn't make me a "lazy hippie loser" or an ingnorant counter-productive member of society. I didn't think it would. My mother did at one point seem VERY concerned that I'm never on the left or right of any issue. I tried to explain to her that it just doesn't feel right to me to take sides on most things, and that doing so was not my way of finding excuses not to "rock the vote."

Lynn, sounds like that antenna-taker did you a huge favor! :lol: I'll turn on the news from time to time, usually for amusement... to see what little thing they are blowing out of proportion, or to observe the world's obsession with celebrities. It's kind of funny at first, but after a couple minutes I just can't stomach anymore. Some of it is interesting to learn about, but then I can never tell whether it's truth or "spin"... I tend not to care. As long as I have my wits about me, I think I'll do just fine. :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    oops! and I messed up that quote thing... I still need practice on that! :lol:
  • edited December 1969
    Yeah, how do you do that quote thing? The way I do it the name doesn't get put in. I copy the text I'm quoting, click quote, then paste, then click quote again.

I did it right once, but I must have killed some brain cells since then.
  • JoeJoe
    edited December 1969
    Yeah, I don't talk politics with people. Among other reasons, I'm 51 and have never voted. I too have never felt a strong pull to one side or the other. To me, taking sides, or a stand on an issue, is too much like "hammering things to a point". Along with what Carl said about the involvement of strong emotion.

I'm a lot more comfortable with turning back, away from the desire of a definite stand, a judgment of I'm right, they're wrong. As Carl also pointed out, people's similarities outweigh perceived differences. I suppose the tribal/social aspect comes into play: whoever threatens my comfort zone, in whatever aspect of life, then they're the bad guy. If you agree with my biased perspective, then you're one of us good guys.

These days it's a little easier to be tentative, hesitant - opening to the mystery, instead of trying to nail down specifics. Which end up being illusory anyway.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] ZiggySunshinedust:[/cite] ...and that impartiality wouldn't make me a "lazy hippie loser" or an ignorant counter-productive member of society.

... I can never tell whether it's truth or "spin"... I tend not to care. As long as I have my wits about me, I think I'll do just fine.
    ... being tribal animals instinctively leads us to feel that 'if you're not with us you are against us' type of emotions. Everyone want 'you' with 'them'. It's just biology.

... it is all "spin". The trick is to see the biology behind the story, the "spin. When we see 'they' are 'us', we understand our self and cease to [chref=8]contend[/chref]. I'm not sure your "I tend not to care" will deepen understanding. Deeply caring with [chref=16]impartiality[/chref] is the only way that I've found it [chref=70]easy to understand[/chref].
    [cite] Joe:[/cite]I suppose the tribal/social aspect comes into play
    When doesn't it? It is so completely 'behind' all that we do, in one way or another, that we often can't see it. You know... we only tend to notice that which stands in contrast to its opposite and grabs our attention.
  • edited December 1969
    oh~

This might be fun~

--- This is Real not some stinking poem from 3rd Century BC ---

Don't follow the world, but be ready when it does (and trust me it does come to you! sometimes 1000 fold!)

Happy new year and Kudos for everyone!