Chapter of the Week: #20

Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 30
One who assists the ruler of men by means of the way does not intimidate the
empire by a show of arms.

This is something which is liable to rebound.
Where troops have encamped
There will brambles grow;
In the wake of a mighty army
Bad harvests follow without fail.

One who is good aims only at bringing his campaign to a conclusion and dare
not thereby intimidate. Bring it to a conclusion but do not boast; bring it to
a conclusion but do not brag; bring it to a conclusion but do not be arrogant;
bring it to a conclusion but only when there is no choice; bring it to a
conclusion but do not intimidate.

A creature in its prime doing harm to the old
Is known as going against the way.
That which goes against the way will come to an early end.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
Read notes on translations

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 20
    Exterminate learning and there will no longer be worries.
    Between yea and nay
    How much difference is there?
    Between good and evil
    How great is the distance?

What others fear
    One must also fear.
    And wax without having reached the limit.

The multitude are joyous
    As if partaking of the 'Tai Lao' offering
    Or going up to a terrace in spring.
    I alone am inactive and reveal no signs,

Like a baby that has not yet learned to smile,
    Listless as though with no home to go back to.
    The multitude all have more than enough.
    I alone seem to be in want.
    My mind is that of a fool - how blank!
    Vulgar people are clear.
    I alone am drowsy.
    Vulgar people are alert.
    I alone am muddled.
    Calm like the sea;
    Like a high wind that never ceases.
    The multitude all have a purpose.

I alone am foolish and uncouth.
    I alone am different from others
    And value being fed by the mother.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

This week I'll just offer my 'polished' translation for this chapter. It sheds sufficient light from other angles to pass as commentary. Much as I love D.C. Lau's translation, I kind of like mine better for I feel it strikes closer to the actual Chinese. Of course, there isn't all that much difference really... if... I smother and close the gap! But, hey, differences are the spice of life.

First, the literal Chinese translation as best as I can do today.
    extinct study (learning, knowledge, mimic) nil worry (sorrow, anxiety, concern),
    of yea and flatter (pandering to), one another (mutually) how much?
    of good and evil, one another (mutually) both differ how then?
    of man actually fear (respect), no approve (can, need, worth, suit) no fear (respect).
    waste (desolate, famine, ) its have not end (finish)!
    many (crowd) people bright (bustling, prosperous) go to enjoy greatest sacrifice, go to spring (love, lust) ascend platform.
    I only (alone, single) anchored its not sign (omen, foretell), go to of baby not child; Oh.... as if not actually return (go back to).
    many people all have surplus, and (as well as, but not, yet not) I alone as if leave behind (offer as a gift).
    I alone dark (dim, muddled); common people discern (examine, look into), I alone smother (close, muffle).
    many people all have at a certain (time- appointments), and I alone stupid (stubborn) and out-of-the-way (low class).
    I alone unusual (different, strange) in (at, to, from, than) people, and (as well as, but not, yet not) value feed mother.

And now let me polish that up somewhat...
    When knowledge is nonexistent, worries vanish.
    How much difference is there between 'yes' and flattery?
    How much difference is there between good and evil?
    What we truly respect, we can never disrespect. Desolation is without end!

The crowds of cheery people bustle about enjoying their great sacrifices and happy outings,
    I alone am anchored in the present, like an infant, not a child;
    Oh, this is like actually having no place to return to.
    The crowds all have more than they need, I alone feel as if I left it all behind.

I alone am dark and dim;
    Normal people discern difference, I alone smother them and close the gap.
    The crowds all have appointments to keep, I alone am stubborn and uncultivated.
    I alone am different from people, and value feeding the mother within.
  • JoeJoe
    edited December 1969
    I really like contemplating what the difference, in day-to-day life, is between yea and nay. What comes to mind these days, is how there really is no difference between satisfying a desire I might have, or doing without. For example, if I really want ice cream, because I've had a hard day, I'll probably eat too much, feel a bit sick, feel guilty, etc. If I have to do without, I may feel deprived, or frustrated. But either way, I still have to deal with some kind of "suffering". (Mainly caused by my own thinking, of course!)

It helps to "turn back" to basics, in letting go of desire. If I don't chase after a desire I have that's caused because I'm feeling some lack, or some fear inside, it feels more grounded to look at the basics of what my actual needs are. Am I really hungry, what kind of food really takes care of hunger and nutrition, etc. And, as Carl talks about lately, how much do I need to feel full. And how much can I just let myself feel hungry, without immediately jumping to stuff myself?

(For the answers to these, and other burning questions, send a SASE to: ...)