Chapter of the Week: #18

Okay, Amen.

Translate that.

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 18
    When the great way falls into disuse
    There is benevolence and rectitude;
    When cleverness emerges
    There is great hypocrisy;
    When the six relations are at variance
    There are filial children;
    When the state is benighted
    There are loyal ministers.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

How about 'when the great way falls into disuse' [chref=38]there was virtue; when virtue was lost there was benevolence;[/chref] and so on in a downward spiral until we just [chref=38]rolls up our sleeves and resorts to persuasion by force[/chref]. Of course, we are skilled at thinking it is okay when we do 'it'. This is the 'beauty' of [chref=2]words[/chref]; they allow us to cleverly justify our [chref=46]many desires[/chref], and disallow the same desires in others (*).

I suppose the true definition of intelligent wisdom (see literal below) is the ability to perceive our own hypocrisy. Seeing my own hypocrisy seems to naturally makes it impossible to continue being hypocritical. And there in lies the biggest disincentive for self honesty. Self honest prevents us from having 'it' both ways. Bummer! I find that the only way to cope with this stark reality is by [chref=19]having little thought of self and as few desires as possible[/chref]. Or, put more simply: [chref=64]Desire not to desire[/chref]. In the end, this is the only thing that works. Of course, before we can really [chref=36] have desire shrink, we must first stretch it[/chref]. Phew! It's a good thing our 'good book' suggests that we [chref=1]always allow ourselves to have desires[/chref]... It's sooo [chref=70]easy[/chref] being a Taoist ain't it? :wink:

The literal:
    large way abolish (waste) have benevolence (sensitive) justice (righteous; artificial )
    intelligent wisdom out have large fake;
    six relations (intimate) not and (together, harmony) have mourning compassion (gentle, merciful);
    state confused have loyal officials

The literalish:
    When we lose the great way, we become benevolent and artificial;
    When we lose intelligent wisdom, we become dishonest;
    When intimate relationships fall apart, we feel mourning compassion;
    When society is confused, officials feel loyal.

'When cleverness emerges' literally translates as 'intelligent wisdom out'. The literal 'hui zhi' leans more toward wisdom than cleverness in my view. The literal 'chu' has several meanings: (1) to go out, come out, leave (2) to appear (3) to stand out (4) to produce, issue, beget. I think most people translate 'chu' as 4) to produce, issue, beget, or as D.C. Lau put it, emerges. However, the main common meaning is out. Even so, all this doesn't matter really because both translations say something 'true'. If fact, I'll combine them: When intelligent wisdom is lost, cleverness issues forth and we become hypocritical and disingenuous.

(*) Note: Popping preconceptions makes it more [chref=73]difficult[/chref] to play this clever 'game'.