Chapter of the Week: #08

I wonder about relying on "intuition" to make decisions. It seems like it would be easy to have whatever emotion's the strongest, trick us into pursuing what we want because it feels "right", it feels intuitive.

On the other hand, I like what is said about complex problems being boiled down to one easily recognized factor. I think that's true - unfortunately we often ignore something basic, in favor of whatever desire is pulling us the strongest. I don't think using a complex analytical process works, because we can too easily end up latching onto the thinking that justifies our current desire, while ignoring the thinking that doesn't justify our desire.

These days I find myself more and more going to "2 out of 3". As in, there are usually 3 main factors in a decision/situation I'm having difficulty with. It may be possible to have 2 aspects, but not all 3. I can't have my cake and eat it too. For example, earlier this year I was looking into voicemail systems for the medical office I work at. We wanted simplicity, a full range of features, and low cost. I certainly couldn't find a system that was all 3. I do find that holding to the simplicity aspect, keeps the process much saner. The question is always, what am I willing to let go of?

Comments

• edited June 2007
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 8
    Highest good is like water. Because water excels in benefitting the myriad
    creatures without contending with them and settles where none would like to
    be, it come close to the way.

In a home it is the site that matters;
    In quality of mind it is depth that matters;
    In an ally it is benevolence that matters;
    In speech it is good faith that matters;
    In government it is order that matters;
    In affairs it is ability that matters;
    In action it is timeliness that matters;

It is because it does not contend that it is never at fault.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

Benefitting without contending puts me in mind of the Bhagavad Gita: "A gift is pure when it is given from the heart to the right person at the right time and at the right place, and when we expect nothing in return. But when it is given expecting something in return, or for the sake of a future reward, or when it is given unwillingly, the gift is of Rajas, impure." Expecting something in return, even simple appreciation, amounts to contending. Now, there is nothing wrong with that, but let's be honest; such benefitting and giving is selfish action. I've found that we are often [chref=70]ignorant[/chref] of that 'subtlety'.

The most crucial side of living for me is keeping life's priorities straight. This can be [chref=63]difficult[/chref], for the only way I've found to do this is to [chref=64]deal with things while they are still nothing[/chref]. That often mean dealing with 'it' before 'now'. Naturally, biology works against us. Alas, we are set up to react to stimuli, not act from free will (despite out ideals to the contrary). That's why we really prepare after a disaster! :roll:

The life issues mentioned here – home, quality of mind, allies, speech, government, affairs, and action – are certainly fundamental. In a way though, 'In quality of mind it is depth that matters' is the most important. Without that, all the others are [chref=41]one moment there and gone the next[/chref]. Of course, that's another thing we don't have any control over. Nuts! Still, I have found that as this becomes truly important to me, it [chref=17]happens naturally[/chref]. Thus, while we can't choose to have depth of mind, if we desire this deeply enough, the mind gradually deepens all by itself. We get from life exactly what we truly desire. For this to occur, we need to [chref=19]have as few desires as possible[/chref] so life's energy isn't pissed away through [chref=46]having too many desires[/chref]. In the end, we need to sit down, [chref=16]hold firmly to stillness[/chref], and have a deeply self-honest discussion with ourselves. Hmm,... if I were to fiddle with this chapter, I would add: In depth of mind, it is stillness that matters.

And now the literal Chinese:
    superior good seems like water.
    water good benefit 10,000 things yet not contend,
    place many people of actually loathe,
    hence, almost in (at, to, from, by) way.
    reside good ground (place, locality),
    heart/mind good deep and kindheartedness,
    speech good true,
    straight good govern,
    affairs good capability,
    action good time.
    man alone not contend,
    hence nothing outstanding (particular, especially, fault)

Now my attempt to pretty it up some:
    True good is like water.
    Water benefits without contending and is at home anywhere.
    Thus, it models the way.
    A good residence depends on locality;
    A good mind depend on depth and kindness;
    Good speech depends on truth;
    Good uprightness depends on order;
    Good affairs depends on capability;
    Good action depends on timing.
    Only the man who does not contend can feel blameless.