is there such a thing as animal karma ?

I don't know how well it fits this discussion, but I've been thinking about my bicycle riding. Kind of in the context of learning and motivation. I've been riding a bike for more than forty years. I've been riding more regularly the last few months.

I think about how bicycling can be a very effortless endeavor, a little bit like the effortless flow in tai chi. What strikes me the most is how cycling is more doing me, than I'm doing cycling. I can't identify how I was "taught" in the beginning. I can't nail down the process of cycling becoming more effortless. Just like with tai chi. Both activities "progress" for me, not from practice, but from mindfulness. The more present I am in the moment of doing either activity, the more mysteriously profound they become.

I hope that makes some sense. I remember when Carl first mentioned to me the idea that with yoga, rather than "learning" lots of postures, and "working" hard to do it right, if I could just do one posture fully, totally present, I would probably get more out of it. The same with cycling. I have very little interest in going to various places that have great riding trails, etc. Or of doing 100 mile rides, or whatever. I do about the same route each time, and be mindful as I can, and voila, we have a real world opportunity for mindfulness. And I so love it when I pay attention and the "mystery" comes through as I ride.

The pleasure and pain ties in for me with wanting to take better care of myself. I think most of us have all sorts of thoughts about eating better and getting more exercise. There are umpteen diets and exercise programs out there. But the biking really happens, not because I've got these illusions/fantasies about being a healthy kind of person, but because my need for the "pleasure" of more balance in my life is stronger than the short-term "pain" I might feel from getting up early, or having to sweat and exert myself to get up a hill. (Yes, Iowa does have some hills. If you ever discover a mountain in Iowa, though, let me know.)

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I know its a weird title but I couldn't think of another way to express it.

what I mean is that animals seem to migrate toward me. When I go to a friends home or even the home of a stranger (went with a friend), if they have pets (dogs, cats) the pets will usually end up in my lap. every once in a while the host will say that their pet had never done that before.

also, if I'm in a long line the person in front of me will turn and start telling me their life story, their troubles or just some thing that happened to them that day. My friends laugh at me for this (in a good way) because, according to them, it only happens to me. I don't mind, I just find it a bit strange and sometimes awkard because the details are of a very personal nature. I usually smile and listen attentively.

peace,
    bob (unclebob)
  • edited December 1969
    I don't know the answer, Bob, but I do wish I could meet you some day! You must have a good vibe, or maybe you smell good, or you've got a special twinkle in your eye.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] unclebob:[/cite]...I just find it a bit strange....
    Not strange, I think. "Listening attentively", or any other attentive behavior would tend to have that effect. Slowing down and being attentive is all the more difficult in our modern computer-driven world. Not that one needs to have a computer to be effected either. The whole pace of human existence is ratcheted up by ubiquitous computer. In a way, the 'future' is now, and the machines are in control. Anyone like you who can keep to the natural rhythm is fortunate - although undoubtedly an oddball. :lol: