Chapter of the Week: #03

Yes, thanks Carl.

The words "just be" make me want append "present." Just be present. And like you say: "Being in the NOW" as in doing one's utmost to attain emptiness", leads me to "just be nothing."

Didn't someone ask Buddha who he was and he responded "I am awake."

Comments

• edited June 2007
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 3
    Not to honor men of worth will keep the people from contention; not to value
    goods which are hard to come by will keep them from theft; not to display what
    is desirable will keep them from being unsettled of mind.

Therefore in governing the people, the sage empties their minds but fills their
    bellies, weakens their wills but strengthens their bones. He always keeps them
    innocent of knowledge and free from desire, and ensures that the clever never
    dare to act.

Do that which consists in taking no action, and order will prevail.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
    Read notes on translations
  • edited May 2007
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

I don't see not to honor... not to value... not to display, and so on, as advice on what not to do. That would be rather un-Taoist, don't you think? Rather, I see this as pointing out obvious causes and effects. For example, we set the process of theft in motion by first valuing goods which are hard to come by. Being children, we naturally want to have it both ways - to value goods which are hard to come by, yet have no theft. :oops:

Therefore in governing the people... etc., is a cute idea, but I've got my hands full just governing my own life. But not surprisingly, the more honest and competent I can manage my [chref=7]private[/chref] life, the better I can deal with the people. So, how do I empty my mind, weaken my will, keep myself innocent of knowledge and ensure that I never dare to act? That sure sounds like a handful!

However, this is actually [chref=64]easy to deal with[/chref] when I viscerally know(*) that [chref=1]the way that can be spoken of is not the constant way[/chref] (I can't over emphasize that visceral aspect). This starts my mind [chref=40]turning back[/chref], and from then on, emptying mind, weakening will, innocence in knowledge and so on [chref=17]happens to me naturally[/chref]. To do otherwise is impossible!

Though Lau's translation follows the literal Chinese (below) closely, the increase directness pulls the chapter deeper for me. For example, compare "unsettled of mind" to the literal luan which translates to "in confusion; in disorder; in a mess". We are confused, to say the least. Also, "innocent of knowledge" is not our problem, rather it is our zhi gan -- "being certain; bold; daring; confidence" in our knowledge. Or to put it another way, [chref=71]Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty[/chref].

The literal Chinese go pretty much like this;
    not value worthy person, enable people not contend.
    not valuable difficult get of goods, enable people not do steel.
    not see suitable desire, enable people heart/mind not in confusion.
    correct in order wise man of govern, empty their heart/mind, solid their
    belly, weak their ideal, strong their bone.
    always enable people not know, not desire, enable man knowledge no be certain either.
    act without act, standard (rule, norm) without no-order

And now my attempt to take out some of the kinks:
    Not valuing worthy people keeps people from contending
    Not valuing things hard to get keeps people from theft
    Not showing what is desirable keeps people from confusion
    In govering the people, the wise man...
    Empties their mind, feeds their belly,
    Weakens their ideals, strengthens their bones.
    Always enable the people neither to know or desire, nor to be certain in their knowledge.
    The wise man acts without acting, rules without chaos.

(*) We can't shoehorn ourselves into this ideal. [chref=32]Knowing[/chref], like falling asleep, is simply a matter of allowing ourselves to be honest. This is an extremely passive 'act', or as this week's chapter puts it, act without act (wei wu wei). Honesty – the Te (de) in Tao Te Ching – carries us to [chref=66]the River and the Sea[/chref]. What inhibits honesty? That which often [chref=4]tangles life in knots[/chref]: need and fear. Alas, we see what we need ([chref=37]desire[/chref]) to see; we turn away from seeing what we fear.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Carl:[/cite][chref=71]Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty[/chref]

Getting this alone would entirely change the face of the world.