Chapter of the Week: #80 [Archive]

Remembering the past, and planning for the future, seem to be part of our process in life. It's when we're focused (thinking) on the future, and not paying attention to the present moment, that we have problems. I'm driving down the street, not paying attention to my driving, worrying about if I'll be able to make it to the Simpsons movie tomorrow, and I run a red light.

Or I'm walking in the woods on a wonderful day, and I'm not paying attention to what's right there, because I'm replaying my agitated memory of the guy who cut me off in traffic on the way to walk in the woods.

I don't know about you all, but sometimes I sure get tired of how often my mind's off and running, and I miss the appreciation of what I have right in front of me. This is nowhere more important than not paying attention when I'm interacting with my 12 yr. old daughter. So much to savor, because in a few years she probably won't want to hang around much with her old man.

Comments

• edited September 2008
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 80
    Reduce the size and population of the state. Ensure that even though the people
    have tools of war for a troop or a battalion they will not use them; and also
    that they will be reluctant to move to distant places because they look on death
    as no light matter.

Even when they have ships and carts, they will have no use for them; and even
    when they have armour and weapons, they will have no occasion to make a show of
    them.

Bring it about that the people will return to the use of the knotted rope,
    Will find relish in their food,
    And beauty in their clothes,
    Will be content in their abode,
    And happy in the way they live.

Though adjoining states are within sight of one another, and the sound of dogs
    barking and cocks crowing in one state can be heard in another, yet the people
    of one state will grow old and die without having had any dealings with those of another.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

What are the chances that we can bring it about that the people will return to the use of the knotted rope? Although we can't turn the clock back, nothing stands in the way of us individually [chref=40]turning back[/chref]. Not by finding some isolated cave, even if there are any left, but by turning back our preconceptions, and the ensuing expectations of what life 'should be'.

Why would the people of one state will grow old and die without having had any dealings with those of another? This is probably unfathomable to those of us enamored with travel. But, remember, travel is a symptom! I suppose most would hate to hear this, but we only travel when we are not content in our abode or happy in the way we live. But, travel is educational! Perhaps that is just more wishful thinking. After all, [chref=47]without stirring abroad, one can know the whole world; without looking out of the window, one can see the way of heaven. The further one goes, the less one knows.[/chref] (Whew! That really goes against our current paradigm.)

Part of our [chref=71]difficulty[/chref] lies in not being able to truly look on death as no light matter. We seem to instinctively think we'll get out of this world alive. Certainly near death experiences wake us up momentarily, but then we return to our own personal dream again, rushing about seeking 'greener pastures', no matter how green ours is already. We are not biologically set up to appreciate what we have. Or to put it another way, biological evolution can't match the pace of cultural evolution (civilization). It is up to us individually find sufficient [chref=51]maturity[/chref]. Until then, [chref=20]up to a terrace in spring[/chref] we go!

My my, what a party pooper Taoism is. No wonder it never caught on big time. :lol: Finally, here is my broken English crappy grammar version of this chapter. This time is corresponds well with the regular translations.

small country few people.
    enable have various elders of tools, and not use.
    enable people value death, and not far move.
    although have boat carriage, not place to ride.
    enable have armour weapons, not place display.
    enable people turn around tie rope and use of.
    sweet their food, beautiful their cloths, peaceful their residence, happy their custom.
    adjacent country mutual look over, rooster dog of sound mutual hear.
    people until old death, no mutual toward come.