If Andy Can Do It, So Can You!

[Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.]

Oh my how succinctly this chapter strikes at the root of the problems which civilization is eternally seeking to resolve. Of course, we never will because we love the root causes too much to let go. This is like cake and cavities. Though 'cake' causes our teeth to decays, we can't quit eating 'cake'. Dentistry give us a [chref=53]by-path[/chref] around that problem. And I'm sure science will soon give us a by-path around obesity, the other consequence of eating 'cake'. Alas, it is different for the three issues raised here.

Indeed, we see these three as 'solutions' to our problems, not as causes, or symptoms of deeper causes. So, round and round we'll go... until hell freezes over I expect. :) Thus, the only thing I can truly do is exhibit the unadorned and embrace the uncarved block, have little thought of self and as few desires as possible. Only when I'm too 'lazy' or 'driven', do I take a partisan [chref=53]by-path[/chref] instead of [chref=16]returning to my roots[/chref]. I lose [chref=16]impartiality[/chref] and see the 'solution' to the 'problem' as being out there somewhere in someone or something else. :roll:

The literal – the best I can do for now:
extinct sage discard wisdom, people advantage 100 fold;
extinct benevolence discard justice (relationships, artificial), people again mourning kind;
extinct clever (artful, deceitful) discard advantage, thieves nothing have;
this three, consider (think, believe) culture ( language, civil) not enough.
hence cause have what is under your control, see plain (quiet, simple, native) embrace simple (plain)
little personal (secret) few desires (longing; wish; want)

Rearrange with some poetic license -- the best I can do for now:
When the sage and wisdom are nonexistent, the people benefit greatly;
When benevolence and justice are nonexistent, the people return to feeling mourning kindness;
When cleverness and advantage are nonexistent, thieves have nothing to rob;
When considering human culture, these three are not enough.
Hence, see the simple, embrace the plain, and have few personal desires.

Two things stand out a little differently in the literal than the usual translations tend to convey. (1) Benevolence and justice are our attempt 'fix' the innate mournful nature of life (i.e., the First Noble Truth is Suffering). I've notice that by letting go of benevolence and justice I am actually much more kind and compassionate. Now, benevolence and kindness may seem synonymous, and perhaps they are. It is the mourning undercurrent here that makes this kindness different. (2) These three 'causes' of our problem are so integral to human civilization, that there is no chance they will become nonexistent. Thus, all we can truly do is do [chref=40]Nothing [/chref] as well as possible until we do [chref=48]nothing at all[/chref]! Ha! Now we know why we [chref=20]alone are different from others[/chref].

Comments

• edited December 1969
    First, here is how Andy says he has always approached life. Basically, he has always wanted to get the boring stuff done so he could do the fun stuff. Of course this means there was little joy in the 'boring' activities,... he was always looking forward to the good times to come. Sound familiar?

Awhile ago he says he tried changing his approach to activity, as I had been suggesting – a way that makes all action feel 'whole' (some might even say joyful). Years ago I gave this approach a motto: 'Enjoy what you do rather than do what you enjoy'. My observations traveling in primitive areas, like the jungles in Borneo, suggest that this way was more common initially - in hunter gatherer times before civilization brought wealth, innovation and variety. This has cause our forever expanding expectations about what a 'good life' should be. We have traded enjoying activity in the moment for the increasing [chref=46]desire[/chref] to do what we enjoy.

The Eastern civilizations have created a few disciplines that focus on [chref=40]turning back[/chref] to action in the moment, e.g., yoga, tai chi, blowing Zen. However, they only set the stage. We, the actors, must supply the self honesty to the action. On the other hand, I've notice that the regular practice of these helps me be self honest in my life's mundane activity as well. At least, that's my hunch. For example; when I wash dishes I feel a parallel to Tai Chi and move more gracefully; for singing, I feel a song is like doing a yoga posture; the same applies to brushing teeth, pulling weeds, etc. Each action, though seemingly different, shares profound similarity with all other action - you know,... [chref=56]mysterious sameness[/chref]. (Of course, that's what I'm looking for so that's what I see :roll: .)

The [chref=71]difficulty[/chref] inherent in doing any 'special action', including those disciplines mentioned above, is the same that often underlies going to church on Sunday. How about the rest of the time? Doing our 'special duty' make us feel [chref=34]great[/chref], and this lets us off the hook for [chref=64]being as careful at the end as at the beginning[/chref] of everything we do. In the end, self honest is crucial; without it, we are just going through the motions, holding out expectantly for the [chref=2]good and beautiful[/chref] we cherish so.

Oh, by the way, Andy say that this [chref=64]being as careful at the end as at the beginning[/chref] of everything he does, to the extent he can, feels much better so far! A-men