Tao Te Ching, Lao Tsu on Audible

edited November 2006 in The CenterTao Lounge
Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 10
When carrying on your head your perplexed bodily soul
can you embrace in your arms the One
And not let go?
In concentrating your breath can you become as supple
As a babe?
Can you polish your mysterious mirror
And leave no blemish?
Can you love the people and govern the state
Without resorting to action?
When the gates of heaven open and shut
Are you capable of keeping to the role of the female?
When your discernment penetrates the four quarters
Are you capable of not knowing anything?

It gives them life and rears them.
It gives them life yet claims no possession;
It benefits them yet exacts no gratitude;
It is the steward yet exercises no authority.
Such is called the mysterious virtue.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
Read notes on translations

Comments

• edited December 1969
    You can get Tao Te Ching, Lao Tsu on Audible. The narrator is Dr Jacob Needleman.
  • edited December 1969
    I believe Dr Jacob Needleman uses the translation by Gia-Fu Feng and Jane English. There is an audio book D.C. Lao's translation of the Tao Te Ching, which is the translation we use on this site.

By the way, I notice that many of the translations of which I am familiar take 'unfortunate' liberties in translating from the original Chinese. Why? Perhaps to maximize [chref=81]beautiful words[/chref], or to make it 'agree' with the modern humanist paradigm. This isn't [chref=2]bad[/chref] of course, it just depends on what one is looking for.

Anyway, the translations suggested on this site are the most faithful to the original Chinese that I've come across. I think one day I shall translate it, but it will be so faithful to the original as to be unreadable. On the hand, the good news is, I'll give it away for free. :roll: :lol:
  • edited December 1969
    Well, rats. I wasn't paying close enough attention. I thought I was getting the right one. At least I got the right one when I bought the book but that won't help me on my commute.
  • edited December 1969
    I think one day I shall translate it, but it will be so faithful to the original as to be unreadable.

Ha!

I first read the TTC in the late 70's and it didn't make a bit of sense to me but I remember that I got a feeling about it, a deep down gut level knowing of some sort, and that's really what it's all about, right?

I'd love to read your translation; I envision few words, more like the Chinese (dare I say, less like this web site!. Ha!)
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Topher:[/cite]... help me on my commute.
    How about getting D.C. Lao's translation tape and listening to each alternately and comparing them. Seeing other angles always helps me deepen understanding.
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]I'd love to read your translation...
    It seems as though I've begun doing that, in bits and pieces anyway. We'll see where it goes. I often prefer the terser Chinese original. Although, terse may only work for folks who are comfortable with grammatically coherent translations already?
  • edited December 1969
    Either folks who are comfortable with coherent translations or those that can live with ambiguity and confusion, like me. :roll: