The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

edited November 2006 in The CenterTao Lounge
Emotion, by any other name (e.g. chi, qi) would work the same. Of course words like prana and qi (chi) have a 'sexy' mysterious color. But, as we see, [chref=12]colors make man's eyes blind[/chref]. Differences deceive. A few thousand years ago 'we' call it qi or prana, now we call it emotion. In short, qi=prana=emotion. Now, if we hanker for something more mysterious, all we need do is sense that [chref=56]mysterious sameness[/chref] that awaits us at every level of perception.

Emotion is the fuel that runs the engine of life. Without emotion we would feel dead, be dead. Of course we wouldn't 'feel' dead, or anything – emotion is synonymous with feeling. Emotion gives life meaning, texture, flavor, color. So, three cheers for emotion, for without emotion we would feel no cheer. We would feel no sorrow or joy, gain or loss, no beauty or ugliness, pain or pleasure.

Emotion is the bed rock of language. For example, in learning Chinese I initially understood a word upon translating it to English. A word only felt meaningful, in its own right, after I could feel it emotionally, in its own right. Language itself relies on emotion to give words meaning. Without emotional context words are just noise.

Emotion drives thought. Angry emotion stirs up angry thoughts and/or angry action. Fear emotion stirs up fearful worries and/or fearful action. On the other hand, empathetic emotion stirs up thoughts of [chref=10]the One[/chref] and all,... and actions that reflect that. Put another way anger and hate divide, empathy and love connect and unite.

Emotion is a team of oxen that pulls the cart of life. Without a driver the oxen easily lose the way, pull the cart off the road and sometimes off a cliff. Driver? Hmm,... are we talking free will here? No, only understanding can guide the cart.[chref=32]Knowing[/chref] is the eye that sees the way; the oxen of emotion follow naturally.

Sounds great, sound [chref=63]easy[/chref]. Just open our eyes, see and [chref=70]understand[/chref], and off we go. Except for one little kink - emotions give meaning to what we see and a context to our [chref=43]understanding[/chref]. Thus, alas, [chref=78]no one can put this knowledge into practice[/chref]. Knowing that helps us become increasingly [chref=15]hesitant and tentative[/chref], and thus, less likely to run off the road and lose our way.

Or course, this Taoist approach is not that popular. We prefer a 'hands on', 'can do', [chref=75]action [/chref] based way to deal with life. We back this with the wishful thinking notion that we can control emotion, and subdue the 'animal' within. Of course, this is just fighting fire with fire and result in ruin.

Speaking of ruin, the idea of controlling emotion reminds me of chapter 64, [chref=64]whoever does anything to it will ruin it; whoever lays hold of it will lose it[/chref]. Emotion drives this 'laying hold of' emotion and creates a neurotic vicious circle.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I was listening to NPR / KQED this morning and the guest was Richard Dawkins who wrote the book "The God Delusion". I have never read it so I don't really know what it is about.

As he was talking, I kept asking myself, "What about the delusion of thinking you actually know there is such a God Delusion." I see no difference between the guy who insists that there is a god and one that insists that there isn't. For all I know Al Qaeda is right; I am an infidel and I deserve to die! But, I make him wrong to justify defending myself or to justify killing him first.

How about, "Well, you might be right but I am still going to try to kill you before you kill me." I have this sick attachment to life even if I do deserve to die.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Topher:[/cite]...I kept asking myself, "What about the delusion of thinking you actually know there is such a God Delusion." I see no difference between the guy who insists that there is a god and one that insists that there isn't.
    Profoundly so! Ironic how a belief either way blinds us to the obvious. So, what is obvious and [chref=70]easy to understand[/chref]? Everything, anything, something, nothing. 'It' is an open book. Ironically, beliefs are what keep us ignorant. Belief is driven by tribal instinct. It serves the same role for humans as odor does for dogs, rats, and ants. By sharing the same belief we belong to the group and feel safe.

Belief uses language just as odor uses chemicals to draw tribal distinctions. The inherent biasing action of language, and the [chref=23]words[/chref] and [chref=32]names[/chref] it uses, lies behind the Taoist distrust of them and all [chref=2]teaching[/chref] based upon them. An ultimate Taoist aim is [chref=16]impartiality[/chref], and language impedes that in the final analysis. In other words, you can't get to 'true' [chref=16]impartiality[/chref] via words. They are, in there link to the limbic system (emotion), innately biased.
  • edited December 1969
    Topher, "For all you know Al Qaeda is right." Okay, you are delusional. I have a blue service star in my window. I'm questioning whether my son is coming home in one piece, or not at all. I question this war, I question Bush, I question Cheney, I question Rumsfeld, I question Kerry, and at times I send a question up to God, but I most certainly don't question whether Al Qaeda is right.
  • edited December 1969
    I understand what you are saying, Michigander and hope that your son (and all the sons and daughters) comes home safe and sound.

I'm pretty sure members of Al Qaeda don't question whether you are right, either. To them you are definitely wrong.

It's easy to see that Al Qaeda is "driven by tribal instinct"; harder to see it in ourselves.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Michigander:[/cite]I have a blue service star in my window. I'm questioning whether my son is coming home in one piece, or not at all.

I am sorry for what you are facing. I wish that families on both sides didn't have to face this reality.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]I'm pretty sure members of Al Qaeda don't question whether you are right, either. To them you are definitely wrong.

It's easy to see that Al Qaeda is "driven by tribal instinct"; harder to see it in ourselves.

This was my point aside from the tribal instinct. Those are words that, while I see their intent, carry too much meaning in this forum for me to use.

The reality faced by the world was created by points of view and each side being sure they are right. If Al Qaeda considered for one moment that we might have a point about a thing or two and we did the same, we might be able to work out living together on the same planet. That is what I was talking about.

I also see that, in myself, even though I see that my point of view may not be all there is, I still have a drive to defend myself, my family, and my country. After 9-11 happened, I looked at going into the service but I was too old for all but the army (now too old for even them) and my family depends on me for support. I have three teenagers. I may be raising them just so they can go die in some war over points of view.

I know that totalitarianism and extremism threatens the future of this world. I don't really know how to deal with that but I have a sense that we need to take reasonable steps to defend ourselves. But that is just my point of view.

I am glad that you understood it for what I meant and not that I think it is okay that anyone is dying (or facing harm) in this conflict.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Topher:[/cite]
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]It's easy to see that Al Qaeda is "driven by tribal instinct"; harder to see it in ourselves.
    This was my point aside from the tribal instinct.

The reality faced by the world was created by points of view and each side being sure they are right.
    Why do you say "aside from the tribal instinct"? Perhaps this is where our view differs, if you really mean "the reality faced by the world is created by points of view". I see just the opposite: reality creates our point of view. Reality being our biology coupled with circumstance. Our tribal instinct makes "each side sure they are right". That instinct so 'owns' our story, that we can't see how it is driving our story and the actions which follow (i.e., it's nearly impossible to think outside the 'tribal' group think box).

I suspect it is for this reason that we blame the tools (stories, religions, guns, etc.) rather than the person behind the tool; or we blame the person rather than the instincts which drove him. Of course this all come back to free will doesn't it. Wanting to see ourselves in control of life prevents us from seeing biology (instinct) as the source of our 'problem'. We know we can't control that. So we create a story about humans being uniquely different than other animals. They have instinct; we have free will. And what independent agency determined our unique status? Well, [chref=4]God[/chref] of course. And who created [chref=4]God[/chref]? Well,... we did, of course.

Finally, we may ask, why create that kind of story? Personally, I think it is inevitable once a creature possesses an idea (myth, story, illusion) of self. If I think 'I am', then it follows that 'I do', which implies that 'I chose'. Thus we have: 'I am therefore I chose to do what I do'. Free will becomes axiomatic, but being axiomatic doesn't mean it is real, it just means that it feels real, just as Newtonian physics feels real - even though Einstein proved it wasn't.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Carl:[/cite]tribal instinct

My view of life is that I am not a victim of such a thing. Is it a factor? Yes, I think it is. Do I chose to be at the cause of it? No.
  • edited December 1969
    Do we get to choose whether we are at the cause of tribal instinct? That's like asking whether we are at the cause of the urge to procreate. I think tribal instinct is hard-wired into our biological makeup, like it or not.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]Do we get to choose whether we are at the cause of tribal instinct? That's like asking whether we are at the cause of the urge to procreate. I think tribal instinct is hard-wired into our biological makeup, like it or not.

I have feet, too, but I don't always walk around just because I have them.

If the earth united against the aliens (from outer space), we could be one big tribe and prepare for war against the extra terrestrials. There don't even have to really be any (I am not sure one way or the other) as long as we can get everyone to believe there are.

If suddenly we all had a common interest in the well being of everyone, this "tribal instinct" you talk about would look very different.

I am not denying it is there. What to do with it is another matter. If we must be at the effect of it then let us engineer the effect to our advantage.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Topher:[/cite]I am not denying it is there. What to do with it is another matter. If we must be at the effect of it then let us engineer the effect to our advantage.
    Who realizes tribal instinct is the 'puppeteer' when that instinct (or any other) is driving them personally? We only see the tribal instinct in others as they beat each other's brains out. Instinct, when it is triggered, has a way of blinding us completely. As a species we haven't even begun to see ourselves as we are - simple ignorant animals. We are still pretending we are special, e.g., free will, intelligent, wise, sapient, creative, clever, artistic, conscious and aware. Ha! The first baby step to "engineering" is to see things as they are, not as we wish they were. Presently, our ideals and myths drive much of what we think we see. A self fulfilling illusion perhaps?
  • edited December 1969
    Tribal instinct can be other than mob mentality. Think about the wonderful tribal qualities we have: loyalty, trust, nurturing, teamwork, the fondness we feel for each other, helping those less fortunate. I see tribal instinct as survival-supportive, more than "us vs. them."
  • edited November 2006
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]...the wonderful tribal qualities we have: loyalty, trust, nurturing, teamwork, the fondness we feel for each other, helping those less fortunate. I see tribal instinct as survival-supportive, more than "us vs. them."
    Alas, the "wonderful" is [chref=2]off-set[/chref] by the awful "us vs them". Much of our sorrow comes from the extremes. And, as we know, the extremes [chref=2] produce each other[/chref]. My point is that we are not even aware of this dynamic, by and large. We feel one extreme - the good "more survival supportive" one - is better than the bad one. We lament the fact that we "beat each other's brains out", yet cherish our "loyalty, trust, nurturing".

But, we can't have more of one without more of the other - they [chref=2]complement each other[/chref]. Naturally, this is not what we want to hear; after all, we instinctively want [chref=39]the superior[/chref] way to win! And, regrettably, [chref=72]when we lack a proper sense of awe of this dynamic, then some awful visitation will descend upon us[/chref]. Nuts!

How can we get out from behind our [chref=65]hoodwinking[/chref] instincts? We can't, but distrusting thought, which instinct drives, helps [chref=56]shut the doors and blunt the sharpness[/chref] a little. This make is much easier [chref=71]to know yet to think that one does not know[/chref].
  • edited December 1969
    You can't have more of one without more of the other - they complement each other.

I agree completely. This one I can feel deep down. When I worked in an office, I saw how I became fond of people just because I saw them everyday and I could also feel the resistance in all of us when a new person came in (especially a leader, a supervisor), which felt like the beating-brains side.

I mentioned the positive tribe attributes because Topher seemed to be resistant to the idea of a tribe, like that was primitive and brutal.

But, you know, I need to hear this stuff over and over -- it slips right out of my head most of the time, I guess because it all goes against my biology.
  • edited December 1969
    I grew up in a church going home. as I approached my teen years, I began to question "why". Why did my best friend have to die in a car crash ? why did my mom have to die of cancer ? the answer I usually got was "it's gods way" or "god had a purpose for this to happen".

as you could imagine, this did not set very well. I continued to ask why and to seek my own answers. I started studying science, mainly astronomy paleontology. Even at this young age, I grasped the concepts of vast astronomical distances and times and that the dinosaurs lived hundreds of millions before homo .erectus even came on the scene. the more I learned the more I saw the bible as just a book. I stopped believing in a god by the time I was 16.

For twenty some odd years I drifted along life and found Buddhism. I liked the teachings, I liked the fact it wasn't "hard nosed" like the version of christianity that I belonged to and I liked the fact that Buddhism doesn't say "it's gods way"

on the topic of tribe ......

what is the differenct in tribe and gang, as in "gang mentality" ?
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] unclebob:[/cite]what is the difference in tribe and gang, as in "gang mentality" ?
    None! Although, the word gang has a different 'air' to it than tribe. Tribe has a primitive, stable and family feeling to it. But, the instinct driving both is the same. Cult and group are yet other words. It boils down to the speaker's mind set. Take for example the words stubborn, perseverant and determined. If I am struggling to do what you want me to do, I'm perseverant. If I am struggling to do what you don't want me to do, I'm stubborn. If my friends and I are doing what you don't like, we are a gang of hooligans. If we are doing what you like, we are a group of civic minded citizens. :wink:
  • edited December 1969
    all very true Carl, I guess it's as Obiwan Kenobi said "it all depends on your point of view".

I've tried the same arguement concerning the Isreali/Palestinian problem with my boss. He only sees Palestinians as terrorists, I try to see them as oppressed peoples using the only means they have to fight back. I don't condone violence but I can see both sides of the argument by boss doesn't, he only sees things from his political viewpoint.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] unclebob:[/cite]...he only sees things from his political viewpoint.
    When an animal doesn't know he/she is an animal, instinct drives viewpoint and Nature's hoodwink is 100% effective. If we are pro Nature, I guess we should rejoice, eh? Perhaps that is why we view ourselves as 'above' Nature in one way or another - and so different from other animals. Accepting that we are perfect as we are is [chref=71]difficult[/chref], especially when this [chref=45]perfection[/chref] is not how we [chref=57]desire[/chref] we were. Ironic, but quite natural I'm sure, which is even more ironic. :?
  • edited December 1969
    Is there a way I can get him to open up and see things from both sides ?

Perhaps it is because I've traveled the world when I was in the Air Force and got to know the peoples of the countries I lived in. I see us not as Americans, Brits, Turks, Iraqis, etc. but as one, all humans, living together on this planet.

peace,
    bob
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] unclebob:[/cite]Is there a way I can get him to open up and see things from both sides ?
    Consider these two anecdotes and then you tell me... :wink:

(1)
    Soon after 9/11 our home school consultant came by for her monthly record keeping visit. She lamented the fact that her father was blaming all Muslims for 9/11. He lumped them all together - "Those #%$@#!". When she fell silent, I pointed out to her how often I'd heard her talk the same way about the Republicans, the Bush crowd - "Those #%$@#!". I asked her if she was not exactly the same as her father, just pointing the finger elsewhere. After a few silent moments she said, "Yes, you're right, but I can't help it and probably can't change. I like bashing the Republicans too much."

I was amazed. I don't think I've ever come across anyone who admitted their inconsistency so forthrightly. Even more fascinating was that she recognized that she was powerless to change. This is made more ironic by the fact that she believed in free will.

(2)
    Last week Andy came by for our weekly Margaretta. He began lamenting the 'brain washing' influence religion has on people. He has an enduring 'problem' with religion in general, and fervent religion in particular. He also deeply laments the weakening, if not outright disintegration, of traditional close-knit social bonding. Then I mentioned the obvious, which he immediately acknowledged: Religion is the primary cultural '[chref=65]hoodwink [/chref]' which helps maintain close-knit social bonding! The Amish are a prime example, of course.

Like our home school consultant, he forthrightly recognized the inconsistency, and like her, seem rather unfazed by it. Now, neither Andy or her are intellectual slouches. To the contrary. Yet, both seem content to let the inconsistencies lie. Well, what else could they do?

And so,
    I think the moral of these examples is that even if you get someone to realized an inconsistency in their points of view, doesn't mean they can change. It helps to think of each point of view as a symptom of visceral needs and fears. One view reflects some, the other view reflects others. Simply said, visceral emotions (needs and fears) are never inconsistent because they are not logical or rational. Only rationalizations are capable of inconsistency and [chref=78]paradox[/chref].

Thus, we can, and do, change our rationalizations all the time to conform to how we feel. But, this is so only so long as such change doesn't conflict with any deeper visceral need or fear. We have no 'free will' over visceral needs and fears.

Visceral insecurity drives tribal instinct in each of us to 'love some' and 'hate others'. Clearly that is the case in the two examples above. The more 'self insecure' we are, the more intense the 'love' and 'hate' we feel. Conversely, a paucity of 'self insecurity' is what allows both folks above to see their inconsistency. And, with even less 'self insecurity', perhaps they could reconcile the inconsistency. Who knows?
  • edited December 1969
    Thanks for the words Carl.

Just today (29 Nov) my boss was saying how the president of Iran said something to the effect to blame Americans. Then he proceded to say how Bush should NUKE Tehran and any other country that harbors, helps or threatens the US.

He asked me what I thought and I told him that there are innocent people in Tehran that don't think the same way as the government and most of the young people want freedom and democracy but at the same time believe in their religon.

He really believes we should use nuclear bombs against Islamic countries that don't condemn extremist, that harbor extremist or dont' stand with us. It wasn't just his words, it was his voice and body language.
  • edited December 1969
    I have been listening to this audio book during my commute. I am 3/4 of the way through. I think it would be good for everyone to at least be exposed to this point of view.

I don't agree with it entirely though, many of his ideas and observations are worth considering.

My biggest problem is that he appears to place way too much stock in intelect. I wouldn't suggest that we avoid the intelectual disciplines (science, logic & argument, mathmatics, etc) altogether but I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket; not anymore than I would put all my eggs in the spirituality basket. Either one will only take you so far.

Usually you do fine with either until you draw your conclusion.

I find it funny that the debate by both the "believers" and "non-believers" has come down to arguing about whether or not there is a god; something we could never prove anyway at this point. I don't think it matters. The whole idea is to learn to deal with the spiritual/emotional aspect of being human. This whole Abrahamic God is just a context to explore and explain that. I mean I can't imagine that he, if he is there, even cares whether we believe in him. But even the people that wrote scripture hasve tried to foist that claim on us. I refuse to step into that pile of crap. I refuse to step into the atheist pile of crap, too.

Jesus said, "Love one another".
    1) you can go around arguing whether there really was a "Jesus" and whether he really was "God incarnate", or
    2) you can love one another.
    3) you can love some or none.

Both the believers and non-believers fool themselves into doing #1. Go figure. I guess they like that sort of thing.

I find that when I demonstrate "love", my life is better and it appears that others' lives are better. I am not saying I am right. I just like it better. Anyway, sometimes I can be an a$$ to everyone.
  • edited December 1969
    Hi Toph! (might as well shorten your name even further)
    [cite] Topher:[/cite]Both the believers and non-believers fool themselves into doing #1. Go figure. I guess they like that sort of thing.
    You've hit the nail on the head there. I notice how my two sons will take something and argue all over it, around it, behind it... etc. They are doing what nature intended them to do - interact and compete. It is humorous to see the silly stuff that they can take so seriously in their debates. They not only “like” it, they love it! Of course, when we discuss it afterward they easily realize they were making emotional mountains out of mole hills.

Same goes for any serious debate over the existence of God (or UFO’s, witches, ghosts, spirits, good and ‘evil’, ‘I am’, free will, etc). I see it 'makes sense' for those 'finding themselves', i.e. youth. But, adults? It goes to show you that we need to define adulthood differently - certainly not by age. Well, if I ever become an adult, I’ll know. Hmm, perhaps I'm being too harsh...? nah!
  • edited December 1969
    life itself is too hilarious to be taken seriously, i say bask in the absurdity rather than nitpick over the meaningless details.

there is no need for argument
    there is no reason for worry
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] sleepydave:[/cite]there is no need for argument
    there is no reason for worry
    If that is true, then why do we argue and worry?
  • edited December 1969
    Because of our needs and fears. It's natural.

I have to isolate the goats from the llamas when I feed them. If I don't, the goats butt the llamas away and the llamas spit at the goats. I wouldn't mind so much, but the goats always win so I end up with fat goats and skinny llamas.

If only the goats realized that there was enough food for everyone and that everyone will get to eat....

If only we could see other sources of energy instead of fighting for and hogging all the oil...
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]If only we could...
    Ah, but just imagine how dull and boring that would be. Kind of like being stuck in heaven I expect. Looking around at Nature, I've concluded that life is supposed to be 'a work in progress'. I think a lot of our problem arises from having a 'better' idea of how Nature 'should' work. :lol: Anyway, I know you're just kidding, right?

Hmm... I use too many quote marks :roll: .
  • edited December 1969
    Yes. Kidding.

Reminds me of the story where the man goes to the Buddha and says he has 86 problems and begins to list them, thinking the great man will be able to help. The Buddha told him that he was wrong, he has 87 problems. The additional problem was thinking that he shouldn't have any problems.

I also have a "problem" with quotes; I guess I "should" work on it.

:lol:
  • edited December 1969
    I have read everyone's comments and this is what came to mind a quote from the Gospel of Thomas: "His disciples said to him, "When will the kingdom come?"

"It will not come by watching for it. It will not be said, 'Look, here!' or 'Look, there!' Rather, the Father's kingdom is spread out upon the earth, and people don't see it." Interesting the Kingdom is already here and we do not see it! I do not believe in faith, I have experience. Does not our Biology require experience?
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Allandnone:[/cite] ... Interesting the Kingdom is already here and we do not see it! I do not believe in faith, I have experience.

... Does not that come from our Biology?
    ... Amen to that brother Allandnone!

... Well, isn't it all Biology? I think people of 'faith' would view that statement as too worldly. I've found this is due to an ignorance of the mystery in biology. This happens when we ascribe absolute meaning to [chref=2]words[/chref]. In other words, the [chref=1]mystery[/chref], just like the "Kingdom" is in eye of the beholder. The reason I use a biological point of view often is that it helps point to [chref=25]that which is naturally so[/chref].