Who said that?

Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 81
Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words
are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good. He who knows has no wide
learning; he who has wide learning does not know.

The sage does not hoard.
Having bestowed all he has on others, he has yet more;
Having given all he has to others, he is richer still.

The way of heaven benefits and does not harm; the way of the sage is bountiful
and does not contend.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Hello there,

This is being relayed via a friend

Just to say that Im missing you all very much, for the last 5 weeks and still at the momment I am off work with 'Optic Neurosis' which has made my vision so blurred that i currently cant see well enough to read.
    I also dont have a computer at home, so I am currently TTC - less and TA (Taoist Anonymous) - less

Miss ya, and look forward to being able to see again.

Bye for 'now'

Laurence xXx
  • edited December 1969
    Get well soon so we can see you back here.

TA? Really? I knew they had 12 step programs for everything (Emotions Anonymous covers just about everyone, including my dogs), I wonder how Taoist Anonymous might go: admitted we were powerless over nature and our lives had become unmanageable; came to believe that The Way could restore us to sanity....Hey! That could work. Carl?
  • edited December 1969
    Taoist Anonymous... Hmm, I think of all [chref=39]the myriad creatures[/chref] as 'taoist'. Until one of them 'notices' that they are a 'taoist', they are anonymous... perhaps?

'Optic Neurosis' sounds like an adventure. I hope it lasts not too long though.
  • edited December 1969
    Thanks you guys...

I'm almost back to 'normal' now... its been months!!

Very odd, lots of time to just be, no books... just time, smiling at the illusion of me in the garden.
    Sounds great huh. yeah, but guess whats rearing its 'ugly' head now...
    that old graspy monster again.
    I've become quite keen on just being...
    at a specifyed temperature ofcourse, in my favoured surroundings,
    and now its time to go just be back fast-pace in the towering offices again. :roll:
    Ha... now i get to see how much of the garden i 'take' with me.

Wish y'all well.