I throw myself down in a beanbag and look around

You can't have more of one without more of the other - they complement each other.

I agree completely. This one I can feel deep down. When I worked in an office, I saw how I became fond of people just because I saw them everyday and I could also feel the resistance in all of us when a new person came in (especially a leader, a supervisor), which felt like the beating-brains side.

I mentioned the positive tribe attributes because Topher seemed to be resistant to the idea of a tribe, like that was primitive and brutal.

But, you know, I need to hear this stuff over and over -- it slips right out of my head most of the time, I guess because it all goes against my biology.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    It's quite quiet in here - which is what you would expect I guess. All the people who know, well, I suppose they're not saying.
    What I mostly got at the door (messageboard?) was echoes of a row from a week or two ago. Something about a programme on the television - for heaven's sake! - About wifeswapping, Gawd help us! There were threats of litigation. Not a very encouraging atmosphere. Anyway (British for 'whatever') I hope you've all gone home and slept it off.
    Apart from being snotty - sorry it's my job, I'm British - I was after some jolly chat (sad, isn't it?) and some practical advice.
    Is it worth putting my hand in my pocket for a new Lao Tzu? I'm very happy with my 1963 DCLau - does the Ma Wang Tui thing add much that I should want to see?
    While we're at it: any advice about a copy of Chuang Tzu: the inner chapters? I'm dead skint (British for I've very little money.)
    Best,
    BlackSheep.
    P.S. Oh yes, and hello, good to meet you all - can I get a coffee in here? Or even - dare I say it - a decent cup of tea? BS
  • edited December 1969
    so I've sat here for about a day. I notice that a few people have put their head round the door - but nobody has spoken to me. Did I speak out of turn?
    Actually, I could do with some help on chapter 13 - and ch.31&46 come to that.
    Guess I'll sit here some more...
  • edited December 1969
    Hi there Black Sheep

If you are looking for another translation of the TTC, I can heartily recommend the one by Stephen Aldiss and Stanley Lombardo. I do have 2/3 others but this is the one I'm returning to more and more often.

Nice to see another Brit here, I'm a soft southerner in Cambridgeshire.

All the best.
  • edited December 1969
    Nice Blog.
    I will read more when I get time.
  • edited December 1969
    Hi Black Sheep and welcome.

You posted:"I could do with some help on chapter 13 - and ch.31&46 come to that"

Try these ideas from TTC 13, 31, 46.

If disgrace comes upon you, accept it willingly. It is often a messenger of reform.
    Misfortune also comes to all men at one time or another. It is part of the human condition.
    So accept misfortune for what it is.

What do you mean by "Accept disgrace"?
    I mean that in the broad scope of all things, you are unimportant.
    So don't be concerned with loss or gain.
    This is called "accepting disgrace willingly."

What do you mean by "Accept misfortune as the human condition"?
    Misfortune comes because we have a body.
    Without a body there would be no misfortune.

Surrender yourself to the way things are. If you do this you can be trusted to work
    with the Tao and not against it. You will then faithfully care for all things.
    Love the whole world as your own self; then you can truly care for all things.

True weapons are fearful instruments. All creatures put them last.
    Therefore the taoist also puts them last.
    The wise man takes the left.
    The man of war takes the right.
    The wise man's tools are not the tools of war.
    He uses them only if necessary.
    Peace and quiet are dear to his heart,
    And victory in war is no cause for rejoicing.
    Rejoicing in victory is rejoicing in killing.
    If you rejoice in killing, you obviously are not enlightened.

There is a time for peace and a time for war.
    One is happy and the other sad.
    One turns toward the left and the other toward the right.
    An army marches in procession as to a funeral.
    The general stands on the left,
    And the commander on the right.
    Many people are killed.
    There is sorrow on both sides of the battle.
    So victory must be observed like a funeral. Because that is what it is.

When the Tao is present with man,
    Peace is in the world and people are content with simple living.
    When the Tao is absent from man,
    People chase after things and war is at the gate.

There is no greater wrong than desire.
    There is no greater curse and being discontent.
    There is no greater catastrophe than wanting what you do not have.
    First learn to be content with what you have. Soon you will see that there is nothing lacking.