After much thought.

edited August 2006 in The CenterTao Lounge
[cite] Topher:[/cite]...I kept asking myself, "What about the delusion of thinking you actually know there is such a God Delusion." I see no difference between the guy who insists that there is a god and one that insists that there isn't.
Profoundly so! Ironic how a belief either way blinds us to the obvious. So, what is obvious and [chref=70]easy to understand[/chref]? Everything, anything, something, nothing. 'It' is an open book. Ironically, beliefs are what keep us ignorant. Belief is driven by tribal instinct. It serves the same role for humans as odor does for dogs, rats, and ants. By sharing the same belief we belong to the group and feel safe.

Belief uses language just as odor uses chemicals to draw tribal distinctions. The inherent biasing action of language, and the [chref=23]words[/chref] and [chref=32]names[/chref] it uses, lies behind the Taoist distrust of them and all [chref=2]teaching[/chref] based upon them. An ultimate Taoist aim is [chref=16]impartiality[/chref], and language impedes that in the final analysis. In other words, you can't get to 'true' [chref=16]impartiality[/chref] via words. They are, in there link to the limbic system (emotion), innately biased.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I have determined for myself that following "the Tao" or "Tao" is quite the opposite of following other philosophies and religions. I think this is fitting but also rather frustrating at the same time. As a result I am happy.

Haha... serisously I believe I have to take a different course from the usual in my desire to "connect" with other Taoists. I now am seeking out groups that practive Tai Chi, Feng Shui and other Taoist related disciplines.

At the same time I continue to practice Taoism at the personal level at home and in my work and in all aspects of my life. Life is good. I let it be and it functions quite well without my input. I am learning Spanish with my wife.

Peace to all.

Tom
  • edited December 1969
    It is interesting to hear your journey. And, yes, the Taoist journey is quite different from 'normal' religious practice I suppose. At least the outer social aspects. Chapter 20 sums up the situation...

[chref=20]The multitude are joyous
    As if partaking of the 'Tai Lao' offering
    Or going up to a terrace in spring.
    I alone am inactive and reveal no signs, [/chref]
    [cite] TommyO:[/cite]... my desire to "connect" with other Taoists. I now am seeking out groups that practice Tai Chi, Feng Shui and other Taoist related disciplines. ... I am learning Spanish with my wife.

Well, first what is a "Taoist"? Ironically, the deeper you connect with 'it', the less you may think of yourself as a "Taoist". Taoist disciplines can be pretty 'loaded' socially speaking, i.e., [chref=24]excessive food and useless excrescences'[/chref]. Thus, non 'spiritual' [chref=70]homespun[/chref] social activities, like "learning Spanish", having fewer self righteous undertones, may offer a more sincere connection in the long run. At least that's been my experience. Personally, I "connect" with other "Taoist" by 'crawling in the shoes' of the birds and insects in my back yard.

Oh, I'm all in favor of the practice of Tai Chi! But as a social lubricant,...? Let us know if this works out satisfactorily. I love to be proven wrong! :)
  • edited December 1969
    I have determined for myself that following "the Tao" or "Tao" is quite the opposite of following other philosophies and religions.

It just occurred to me, while reading the commentary to the chapter of the week, that following the Tao is not only opposite following other religions, is a lot like following nothing at all. Because if, as Carl says, everything is naturally so, why bother! It all is the way it is.

So why am I here? Because The Tao is the only thing I've found that seems 100% true to me...no baloney, no ritual, no wishful thinking, no illustrious promises, just the plain old truth. It captures the "is-ness" of what is.