Random Thoughts

edited August 2006 in The CenterTao Lounge
Topher: Thank you for explaining so clearly what you believe to be true. I understand what you are saying and appreciate the thought and reflection that went into it.

I can see that through our senses, perception and judgements we interpret the world around us, and you might call that creating our own reality. But that we can transcend our survival instincts, our needs and fears as Carl puts it, our basic animal nature and create a reality aligned with spiritual principles sounds a little...umm...unlikely.

I find hard it to believe that we were put here for a purpose--I think we feel that way because of our egos, our own self-importance. Our egos are good, they help us survive, but they get a little carried away. I myself am striving to be more like my labrador retriever. :wink:

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Each day I pray that I will not stand in my own way, but get out of the way and let life flow. Really, isn't that the big difference between children and adults? When Jesus Christ said something like, "Become as little children", I think that is what he meant.

Mostly, we operate in life from a context of "knowing" and it keeps us from discovering what we do not know. If you find your life you will lose it, and if you lose your life you will find it. X always produces not X and visa versa.
  • edited December 1969
    Doesn't life feel like it is "flowing" just fine as long as it is flowing where we desire to go? And this applies to kids and adults, though we have many more pots on the stove and so may feel stressful currents more often.

I think the problem with discovering that "X always produces not X", (or maybe I would day '1 and 0 produce each other') is that this is counter intuitive. How can 'loss' be 'gain'. It defies common sense, and yet...

So, it takes some actual experience noticing this 'loss' and 'gain' thing to at least nod our head, Mmmm.....perhaps.... Until that day comes, and for the rest of us, '[chref=41]He laughs out loud. If he did not laugh It would be unworthy of being the way.[/chref]' Yet, even when we nod our [chref=43]understanding[/chref] heads, actually 'giving up' is like committing suicide when all you want to do is live.

Well, at least the 'Taoist manual' warns us, "[chref=70]My words are very easy to understand and very easy to put into practice, yet no one in the world can understand them or put them into practice. [/chref]"
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Carl:[/cite]It defies common sense, and yet...

So, it takes some actual experience noticing this 'loss' and 'gain' thing to at least nod our head, Mmmm.....perhaps.... Until that day comes

Yes. And when we see this in one area of life, it doesn't always make a difference in that area of life or carry over to other areas of life. Understanding doesn't necessarily make a difference.
  • edited December 1969
    I interpret going with the flow as not resisting what's going on. I have found that the more threatening a situation is, the more difficult it is to let it go. Impossible, really.

So what you are saying, Carl, is that if one can recognize that threat produces its opposite, safety, security, contentment, I would be able to be okay or at least have some wisdom regarding threat.

I'm not holding my breath!

(In very subjective terms, I'm starting to see how threat can produce its opposite. If I weren't so attached to the little secure world I've created, I wouldn't be threatened. If I didn't feel threatened to begin with, I wouldn't need all the stuff I need to feel secure. Am I getting it?)
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Topher:[/cite]Understanding doesn't necessarily make a difference.
    If it doesn't make a difference, the understanding isn't truly understood. Mmmmm,... does that [chref=78]seem paradoxical[/chref]? :?
    [cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]If I weren't so attached to the little secure world I've created, I wouldn't be threatened. If I didn't feel threatened to begin with, I wouldn't need all the stuff I need to feel secure. Am I getting it?
    That works for me! The deeper we feel it is true in our bones, the more difference it makes. It is not about understanding the words. Anyone can do that; you've made a gametically proper statement. It is experiencing what the words say that brings it home. For example, we can tell a child not to touch the hot pan. He may or may not. Once he burns himself, he feels it... :shock: :o :cry: :x :oops: , understands it, and doesn't touch it again. Of course daily life is more subtle, and so like children we 'burn' ourselves a lot before we feel it deeply enough (true understanding) to [chref=48]do less and less[/chref].

Simply put, a true visceral understanding of the utter futility of an expectation (desire, idea, goal) does wonders to [chref=36]shrinken, weaken, and lay it aside[/chref].
  • edited December 1969
    The deeper we feel it is true in our bones, the more difference it makes.

That's why I said it was impossible.

How does deep understanding come? Only with age and experience, I suspect.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Carl:[/cite]If it doesn't make a difference, the understanding isn't truly understood.

Perhaps I should have said "knowing" rather than "understanding".

We can know something and recite it but it doesn't necessarily make a difference. However, we can also understand something and reject it or refuse it. In my experience, though, the light gets replaced by darkness and what was once understood, is lost.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Topher:[/cite]
    Perhaps I should have said "knowing" rather than "understanding".

We can know something and recite it but it doesn't necessarily make a difference. However, we can also understand something and reject it or refuse it. In my experience, though, the light gets replaced by darkness and what was once understood, is lost.

Ok, then... If it doesn't make a difference, the knowing isn't true knowing.

If you need to "recite" something, you don't know it. You don't need to "recite" your name, or the fact that you like pizza pie, or hate nats, for example. Thus, unless we have Alzheimers, what is truly known or understood rests at the foundation of consciousness.

I see our 'problem' is that our brain's cortical grey matter (egged on by subcortical limbic brain structures) fondles ideals about how it would like 'reality' to be. Then we huff and puff awhile to make it so. But like bingeing and dieting, it never works because it is a dream.

What is real, on the other hand, impels us to act (or refrain from acting). I call this pseudo free will, because it seems as though we are in control, i.e., thoughts, knowing, feeling and actions are all in sync. But, it is pseudo because we could not do otherwise. Our brains have a mind of their own. Who is in charge? Our brain [chref=65]hoodwinks[/chref] us with the illusion 'I' am! Ha! We are sooooo gullible. And what make a person so gullible? When you tell them something couched in what they want to hear they take the bait, hook, line and sinker.

Anyway, a 'symptom's point of view' simplifies everything: Your actions and feeling tell you what you truly know, who you truly are. The proof is in the pudding, Nature is the cook. All we can do is look at it as honestly as possible... or pretend Santa Claus is coming! Mmmm... am I starting to sound like a broken record? :roll: Oh well, age you know. :)