Book Review - A Mind of its Own: How Your Brain Distorts...

[cite] Lynn Cornish:[/cite]I sincerely wish you good luck with that approach

Thanks. I get what you are trying to say.

There is no luck involved. This is, in fact the easiest part of it; you automatically are aligned with whatever you create (language, thought and speech). The hard part is to have what you create be aligned with spiritual principles such that all you create is "true".

I mean first you have to discover for yourself (we each discover what is already there) these principles and then to become them such that what you create is created from them. Us talking about it doesn't achieve this though it can be an important part of the journey. I won't see it until my mind is opened to it no matter what you say. This is human.

I actually believe in something similar to reincarnation because I believe more than this lifetime is required to develop this. I am not really sure the exact nature of where we have come from and where we are going. It could be the same kind of world but I rather think that it doesn't make sense to take the same class over again once you have gotten what there is to get from it. I also don't think knowing this will make any difference here.

And it is not a strenuous task. People get frustrated and give up because they make it a strenuous task or they resist life. It is just living life and being who you are that will lead you there. Don't make it a strenuous task and don't resist life. Life is going to happen anyway. (This is good advice for me.) When you get stopped by what doesn't work, you will seek another way.

I do see some very powerful ideas in taoism that I would consider essential to this journey. I have yet to find a philosophy or religion that I didn't take something from but my studies are rather scattered and only scratching the surface.

The trick is to understand the essence of an idea and not focus to much on the exact words.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    The particular spiritual (or political, or sports, or artistic, or ...) flavor a person 'chooses' reflects an underlying personal need. The 'flavor' we are drawn to is a symptom of what we feel we need to find balance. So, what really pulls a person to the Taoist '[chref=1]these two are the same[/chref]'; '[chref=2]Something and Nothing produce each other[/chref]'; '[chref=56]mysterious sameness[/chref]'; point of view? This book, "A Mind of its Own: How Your Brain Distorts and Deceives", offers insight.

If we realize that 'the brain distorts and deceives', we are left with less of what turns out to be a protective 'self-delusion' (see below). What are we to do when this 'protection' wanes? The Taoist point of view puts 'cold hard reality' into a larger, more [chref=15]minutely subtle, mysteriously comprehending[/chref] context which helps us cope.

Thus, simply said, we are Taoists because we need to be. Science comforts by corroborating our 'cold hard view'. We are not crazy after all. Ironically in fact, we are less delusional than most. Thus, I always enjoy hearing about scientific research that backs up the Taoist point of view, as most all of it does, whether it be quantum physics, biology, ecology, etc.

THE BOOK =========================

A Mind of its Own: How Your Brain Distorts and Deceives
    by Cordelia Fine, a research associate in the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics at the Australian National University.

Book Description
    A delightfully unsparing look into what your brain is doing behind your back.

In recent years, we've heard a lot about the extraordinary workings of our hundred-billion-celled brain: its amazing capacities to regulate all sensation, perception, thinking, and feeling; the power to shape all experience and define our identity. Indeed, the brain's power is being confirmed every day in new studies and research. But there is a brain we don't generally hear about, a brain we might not want to hear about?the "prima donna within."

Exposing the mind's deceptions and exploring how the mind defends and glorifies the ego, Dr. Cordelia Fine illustrates the brain's tendency to self-delusion. Whether it be hindsight bias, wishful thinking, unrealistic optimism, or moral excuse-making, each of us has a slew of inborn mind-bugs and ordinary prejudices that prevent us from seeing the truth about the world and ourselves. With fascinating studies to support her arguments, Dr. Fine takes us on an insightful, rip-roaring funny tour through the brain you never knew you had.

Review From Publishers Weekly
    Vain, immoral, bigoted: this is your brain in action, according to Fine, a research associate at the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics at Australian National University. Fine documents a wealth of surprising information about the brain in this readable account that adopts a good-humored tone about the brain's failings without underestimating the damage they do. The brain, she shows, distorts reality in order to save us from the ego-destroying effects of failure and pessimism. For example, an optimist who fails at something edits the truth by blaming others for the failure and then takes complete credit for any successes. The brain also routinely disapproves of other people's behavior (how could he do that?), while at the same time interpreting one's own actions in the best possible light (I would never do that!). The brain also projects stereotypes onto others that reflect prejudicial beliefs rather than objective reality. Despite the firm hold these distortions have on our brains, Fine is not a pessimist. The path to overcoming stereotypes and other distortions of the brain, she says, may be gained through self-awareness and knowledge provided by experimental psychology, a field that explores and exposes unconscious mental influences. (July)
    Copyright ? Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Review From Booklist
    Positive self-esteem, whether about one's morality, rationality, altruism, emotional maturity, or tolerance, takes a drubbing in this book. It's an unsettlingly entertaining tour of experimental psychology, which diabolically puts normality to the test. One result ripped empathy to shreds: in a 1963 obedience experiment learned by psychology students, Stanley Milgram showed how to turn anyone into a torturer. Built around discussions of particular experiments, Fine's account illustrates the clinical with personal anecdotes featuring her two-year-old boy. The kid's adamant sense of right and wrong, emotional volatility, and meanness represent every person's "terrible toddler within." Fine describes negative human traits and perceptively reflects on the brain's subconscious thoughts, which can produce pernicious habits such as blaming victims. In various ways, Fine writes, the brain is protecting the self from threats to its self--exaltation, defending against the capriciousness of the world (hence the sense of justice) or disbelief (hence traits of stubbornness and irrationality). An edifying exploration, wryly and ruefully expressed. Gilbert Taylor
    Copyright ? American Library Association. All rights reserved