Chapter of the Week: #48 [Archive]

i like to think that what we are, what 'self' refers to, is the mind. Now, i do not mean brain matter. But the consciousness, the observer, our intangible collection of thoughts and memories and that which processes and translates our senses

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Each week we address one chapter of the Tao Te Ching. The Tao Te Ching can be obscure, especially if you think you're supposed to understand what it's saying! We find it easier and more instructive to simply contemplate how the chapter resonates with your personal experience. Becoming more aware at this fundamental level simplifies life. This approach conforms to the view that true knowing lies within ourselves. Thus, when a passage in the scripture resonates, you've found your inner truth. The same applies for when it evokes a question; questions are the grist for self realization.

Chapter 48
    In the pursuit of learning one knows more every day;
    In the pursuit of the way one does less every day.
    One does less and less until one does nothing at all,
    And when one does nothing at all there is nothing that is undone.

It is always through not meddling that the empire is won.
    Should you meddle, then you are not equal to the task of winning the empire.

Read commentary previously posted for this chapter.
  • edited December 1969
    [Note: I italicize phrases I borrow from the chapter, and link to phrases I borrow from other chapters to help tie chapters together. While making it more tedious to read, :? the Tao Te Ching is best pondered in the context of the whole.

In the pursuit of learning one knows more every day is like filling a cup with drops of water. Each drop, a bit of information gradually filling the cup. Action, on the other hand, is not cumulative; rather is a [chref=14]thread [/chref] that flows 'through' the moment. A profound misconception, built on the illusions of past and future, tells us otherwise. We feel that the more we do the better, and this will help us win the empire. This drive to [chref=43]action[/chref] makes [chref=32]knowing when to stop[/chref] one of the more difficult facets of life. And so we flip flop between the extremes. Nowhere is this dilemma more evident than when we [chref=16]innovate[/chref]. In any artistic endeavor, for example, [chref=9]stopping in time[/chref] is an essential part of 'artistic balance'.

Our illusion of past and future is the home of the self - the 'I'. The illusion of self is created by this two fold illusion, and by our cognitive participation in this 'fantasy world'. The more we are [chref=65]hoodwinked[/chref] by this fantasy, the more 'I' has to keep doing to maintain the illusion. It is like blowing bubbles. You have to keep blowing them to keep them 'alive'. As long as we believe in the past and future, we spend much of our consciousness there; and we will always feel there [chref=38]are things left undone[/chref]. On the other hand, in the pursuit of the way, we gradually see this and begin our [chref=28]return to being a babe[/chref]. This is a little 'chicken and eggy'. All in all, I suppose our pursuit of the way unfolds as we sense the [chref=8]depth[/chref] of our own hypocrisy. In other words, the way can't be taught. After all, [chref=81]words[/chref] and [chref=32]names[/chref] are what enable the hypocrisy in the first place. [chref=2]The teaching that uses no words[/chref] avoids this kink.

Should you meddle, you are not equal to the task of winning the empire* implies a free will of sorts. It suggests that if we don't meddle, all will be well. This only holds true in our 'fantasy world'. It can be more useful to see meddling as a symptom. Simply put: It is only when we feel disconnected from the empire, do we meddle and push to change the empire to reflect our ideal of what 'it' should be. Meddling is a naturally occuring symptom of immaturity and emotional insecurity. Find the security of maturity, and the meddling vanishes. Is this not obvious? Maybe not, for we have evolved biologically to 'judge books by their cover'. So, how do we find mature security? Alas, only [chref=51]circumstances bring [us] to maturity.[/chref] MMMmm, come to think of it, our 'judging' is also a symptom of immaturity. Gads, I see [chref=64]symptoms[/chref] everywhere. That's good though; it helps me let 'it' be. My, how [chref=70]easy[/chref] and [chref=78]straightforward[/chref] all this is, eh? :wink:

Meddling and being helpful are close cousins. The meddler [chref=71]knows[/chref] he is only being helpful. It is for 'your own good', he'll say. Rather than [chref=66]contend[/chref] with him, realize that his meddling is a symptom of his suffering (deep insecurity). Of course, there is a hitch here; you can only do this if you are secure enough to [chref=61]take the lower position[/chref]. Yep, we just can't win, either when we meddle with others, or meddle with our own nature!

* I interpret empire in the broadest sense of the word - the realm of [chref=54]this[/chref] - rather than the narrower political connotation.
  • edited December 1969
    Oh my... I only just realised that its also meddling to not perform one's duty. :shock:
    gee I'm slow.
    Im at work, and a customer enquiry happens to arrive at me. I desire that the problem be swept under the carpet, and struggle against how things are, when in fact it is natural that THIS job be done by me... and it could be done effortlessly. but i meddle .. boy do I !! (buck anyone? anyone want this buck?)