visited taoist group

edited June 2006 in The CenterTao Lounge
I didn't get very far with this one! Why is it easy if you care? It seems to me that caring results in attachment and we all know what Buddha said about that one.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Well I made the 300 mile round trip to visit with a "local" Taoist group.

Everyone was really nice and we had a good and relaxing time with good discussion. But not much on Taoism came up. It was a nice dinner and time with new friends.
  • edited December 1969
    MMMmmm... That's curious. I can't imagine having our Taoist Sunday meeting here and not sharing the Taoist viewpoint on life. :?

On the other hand, maybe so few show up to our meeting here because we plunge into 'it'. :lol:

Perhaps in that situation it was more understandable? Any thoughts... why or why not? Are you planning a return trip?
  • edited December 1969
    I would return if it was closer but it is too far away. I may visit with my wife if ever we are in the area. But for now I plan to attend a group that is a little closer and south of here.

My plan is to visit these groups and get some idea of how they conduct themselves. In the end I want to make a decision about whether or not to start a group and if I do, how to conduct our gatherings.

The general idea for this first group is that to be structered is somewhat out of step with Taoism. So they meet and if someone has a question or needs help in understanding or some other problem they would be more than happy to work through that during their meeting. I found it rather refreshing.

It was a good thing to just meet everyone where they were at on that day. It was understood that we all had some similar beliefs without any discussion. Otherwise, why were we there?
  • edited December 1969
    Yes, it sound like a very comfortable approach to Taoist socializing. I'm always poking at things, so that approach wouldn't work well long for me; I'd find a way to piss everyone off eventually... just kidding... mostly. :lol:

I'm curious about this though:
    [cite] TommyO:[/cite]... with good discussion. But not much on Taoism came up....

How do you have a good discussion without involving a Taoist point of view? If I stick to talking about the weather, I can do that. But, even weather leads to deeper subjects, like global warming, which are ripe for viewing through 'Taoist eyes'.

The ideal, [chref=23]to use words but rarely is to be natural[/chref], sounds good. But, what is 'rarely' really? I guess that is what I'm in the process of discovering. :? Certainly, patience is a key factor in finding the right balance.

Anyway, thank you for shedding more light of your experience. I look forward to hearing how this challenge unfolds for you.
  • edited December 1969
    How do you have a good discussion without involving a Taoist point of view?

Is this a koan?

I think that by saying nothing we left nothing unsaid.

But I must agree. I would have enjoyed some discussion on the Taoist point of view. It was a short three hours. We got to know one another a little bit, ate some good food and talked a little about ourselves and our lives. It was way too brief but a good begining. If I lived closer we would certainly begin to delve into Taoism. I would be interested in their approach to Tao and also in their reaction to my own approach.

I am going at this slowly. I am in no hurry. If I do do anything I hope it arrises as part of Tao so that I can say I did nothing.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] TommyO:[/cite]Is this a koan?

I reckon so! After all, the 'bottom' of most everything is. :lol:

The wonderful thing about a regular meeting is that it let's us plunge into the Tao Te Ching, sharing / cross referencing individual experiences and interpretations. This process deepens and broadens understanding... at least that is my experience.

But again, this may not be what many folks seek... :?:
  • edited December 1969
    I'm a newbie on this site. In studying and applying the Tao, I had looked for a local Tao group. Had I found one I would have visited and I still would today, if I found one. Yet, is not meeting together for gaining knowlege? And if it is, then isn't that itself non-Tao. For isn't it the undoing and losing and simplification that brings about the death of chaos and confusion?

And for that matter, isn't a site dedicated to the Tao, non-Tao itself. And yet I'm here. The path that's straight seems awfully crooked.
  • edited December 1969
    Welcome Janet, Good to have someone rattle the cage here a little :)
    [cite] Janet:[/cite]... And for that matter, isn't a site dedicated to the Tao, non-Tao itself. And yet I'm here...
    Non-Tao or Tao? It helps to remember, [chref=1]the way that can be spoken of is not the constant way...etc[/chref]. So just what are all the tangential social, political, linguistic, internet, etc., facets of Taoism? Any ‘ism’ is neither obviously Taoist or non-Taoist. So you are here, and I’m responding out of purely human social instinct / need. Isn’t it all about that in the end. We feel [chref=39]'solitary', 'desolate', and 'hapless'[/chref] and wish to connect. It is natural. What could be more Tao than what is natural?
  • edited December 1969
    If the Tao is everywhere then it is in this Forum as much as anywhere else.

I would have thought that, unless you've reached a stage where you are always in harmony with the Tao, there will be times where, despite how far you've travelled on your path, you might benefit from a different perspective - whether another's perspective answers your question or just helps you to be certain that the answers you already have are the ones you need. Also, sometimes just the act of formulating your thoughts for a post can help you progress.

Unless you believe that the only wisdom worth knowing is that written over 2000 years ago, there's as much chance of some turning up here as anywhere else :)
  • edited December 1969
    Wow, I like it here!

In harmony with the Tao all the time? Not me. I have two young children. Need I say more? But I do find in emptying the mind and meditating, especially when just falling asleep, that I'm most open to the truth and things seem clearer and the path seems straight. Then I wake-up and the world hits me head on -- trying to complicate and entangle my life.

Right now I view me as a little bobber out in the ocean going up and down with the waves. If I float along not trying to change things, I'm content. If I try to raise above the wave or dive, it's useless and wastes a lot of energy.

But I also recognize that spiritual progress, harmony, oneness (whatever you want to call it) is like the rungs of a ladder. What I believe today (the current rung I am on), I will be giving up tomorrow in order to get to that next rung. You can't climb a ladder without letting go a few rungs and grasping onto the next. And yet it's circular and linear.

My little guy just came into my office. It's picture day at school and he is running around nakey from the waste down (no idea where he threw his shorts) and he decided to spike his hair with tons of goo. With five minutes until school. Just another enjoyable wave. He's so cute, he makes me laugh.
  • edited December 1969
    [cite] Woody:[/cite]...sometimes just the act of formulating your thoughts for a post can help you progress.

...Unless you believe that the only wisdom worth knowing is that written over 2000 years ago, there's as much chance of some turning up here as anywhere else
    ... Oh yes! Although instead of ‘progress’ I’d use the word ‘self understand’.
    ... another big oh yes! It “turns up” everywhere we look if we have the ‘eye’ to see (i.e. its in the eye of the beholder).

Oh, and welcome Woody! :)
    [cite] Janet:[/cite]...Wow, I like it here!
    ... You can't climb a ladder without letting go a few rungs and grasping onto the next. And yet it's circular and linear.
    ... Oh nice. I like that you like it here! :)
    ... I find it helpful to reflect the direction of the climb. It’s downward, we're [chref=16]returning[/chref]. We are climbing down the ladder, letting go, rung by rung, until we reach the [chref=61]lower position[/chref].
  • edited December 1969
    Wow! It feels like I haven't been on here in forever! :shock:

I just wanted to say: Speaking of visiting taoist groups...

Two of my friends will be moving to San Diego next year, and it's been brought up that I and my boyfriend may join them. I don't think San Diego is exactly close to your center... but it's a lot closer than Pensacola! So if I ever end up over that way, I definitely plan to stop by for a visit!
  • edited December 1969
    So you want to trade hurricanes for earthquakes. Earthquakes are more fun - old mama earth doing her thing. :o